Programmer Research

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by John J. Jordan, May 2, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    My name is John Jordan and I am a researcher in the Computer Science
    Division at the University of California, Berkeley. Under the
    supervision of Professor Susan L. Graham, I have developed a tool that
    enables programmers to compose and modify code with fewer keystrokes,
    with the goals of speeding up coding and helping those with RSI. I
    would like to invite you to take part in a survey intended to evaluate
    the usefulness of this tool.

    The survey is online and will take approximately 10 minutes. During the
    survey, you will be asked a few questions about your habits and
    experiences with programming tasks.

    If you have any questions about the survey, you may contact me by
    e-mail: . If you have any questions regarding
    your treatment or rights as a participant in this research project,
    please contact the University of California at Berkeley's Committee for
    Protection of Human Subjects at (510) 642-7461 or
    .

    The survey is online at http://sequoia.cs.berkeley.edu/survey/

    Thank you,

    John J. Jordan
    Harmonia Research Project
    Computer Science Division
    University of California, Berkeley

    John J. Jordan, May 2, 2006

  2. John J. Jordan said:

    <snip>

    > The survey is online and will take approximately 10 minutes. During the
    > survey, you will be asked a few questions about your habits and
    > experiences with programming tasks.

    <snip>

    > The survey is online at http://sequoia.cs.berkeley.edu/survey/

    And I quote...

    "Not Found

    "The requested URL /survey was not found on this server.

    "Apache/1.3.33 Server at sequoia.cs.berkeley.edu Port 80"

    > Thank you,

    You're welcome.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, May 2, 2006

  3. Richard Heathfield wrote:
    -cut-
    >> The survey is online at http://sequoia.cs.berkeley.edu/survey/

    > And I quote...
    >
    > "Not Found
    >
    > "The requested URL /survey was not found on this server.

    Mind the trailing slash. Apache is a bit anal.

    >> Thank you,

    > You're welcome.

    :)

    -JJ

    John J. Jordan, May 3, 2006
  4. John J. Jordan said:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > -cut-
    >>> The survey is online at http://sequoia.cs.berkeley.edu/survey/

    >> And I quote...
    >>
    >> "Not Found
    >>
    >> "The requested URL /survey was not found on this server.

    > Mind the trailing slash.

    Ah, that was it. (Strange - after all, I clicked on the link. Oh well.)

    Seemed like a reasonable survey to me. Better-designed than most, although I
    think I detected just a hint of leading in some of the questions. :)

    Richard Heathfield, May 3, 2006
  5. "John J. Jordan" <> writes:

    > Hello,

    <snip>
    > The survey is online at http://sequoia.cs.berkeley.edu/survey/

    The survey doesn't work in emacs-w3m (the next links don't do
    anything) and I'm too lazy to fire up X, firefox, copy and paste the
    link. Sorry but it would be nice if it was accessable to those that
    prefer the console (and I would think type a lot more, and would
    probably going to skew your data anyway :).

    --
    burton samograd kruhft .at. gmail
    kruhft.blogspot.com www.myspace.com/kruhft metashell.blogspot.com

    Burton Samograd, May 3, 2006
  6. John J. Jordan

    Vladimir Oka Guest

    Richard Heathfield opined:

    > John J. Jordan said:
    >
    >> Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >> -cut-
    >>>
    >>> And I quote...
    >>>
    >>> "Not Found
    >>>
    >>> "The requested URL /survey was not found on this server.

    >> Mind the trailing slash.

    > Ah, that was it. (Strange - after all, I clicked on the link. Oh
    > well.)
    >

    > Seemed like a reasonable survey to me. Better-designed than most,
    > although I think I detected just a hint of leading in some of the
    > questions. :)

    I'd say a little biased towards OO languages. AFAIR, one of the central
    questions (about the amount of bother for various tasks) had only two
    or three options out of a dozen or so that was not OO specific.

    Otherwise, yes, better than a few I've seen.

    --
    "Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at
    The Labs."

    Vladimir Oka, May 3, 2006
  7. Vladimir Oka wrote:
    -cut-
    > I'd say a little biased towards OO languages. AFAIR, one of the central
    > questions (about the amount of bother for various tasks) had only two
    > or three options out of a dozen or so that was not OO specific.

    While my first prototype of the tool targeted C, its current incarnation
    is written in Java, for Java. Among the reasons for this is a grant
    from IBM and Harmonia's lack of decent C analysis (thanks, preprocessor
    :). We think we know ways to get around the latter issue, but we are
    too low on personnel to do so.

    That would explain the bias towards OO, but I could have admittedly done
    better with some of the questions. The two languages that see heavy use
    at Berkeley right now are Scheme (intro courses) and Java (most
    everything else, even OS). It troubles me.. I grew up on C. To top it
    off, I know that I'll be working with managed code for at least the
    foreseeable future.

    > Otherwise, yes, better than a few I've seen.

    Thanks for the remarks,
    JJ

    John J. Jordan, May 3, 2006