    anyone know how i will be able to set a resolution, then re-route the
    signal as a serial mouse command?

    If anyone has any expereince in this please let me know, alex

    alexdocherty at sympatico.ca

    a doc, Sep 21, 2005

  2. a doc

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 21 Sep 2005 10:53:34 -0700, "a doc" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >For a 3rd year electronic engineering project i will need to program a
    >touch screen. I will have to interface the screen, a 5 wire resistive
    >model to an ATMEL AVR 90s8535. I have no idea where to begin.

    Don't your textbooks and your class work give you any idea where to
    start? In any case, you've posted to the wrong newsgroup. This
    newsgroup deals with questions about the standard C language.

    I don't know the proper newsgroup offhand, but since you're posting
    from Google Groups, you have no excuse for not being able to find one.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting

    Alan Balmer, Sep 21, 2005

  3. a doc

    Malcolm Guest

    "a doc" <> wrote
    > For a 3rd year electronic engineering project i will need to program a
    > touch screen. I will have to interface the screen, a 5 wire resistive
    > model to an ATMEL AVR 90s8535. I have no idea where to begin.

    You need to begin with what you have.
    For instance do you have hardware, or do you have to build it yourself?
    I also have no idea what an AMTEL AVR 90s8535 is? Is it some sort of
    microprocessor?

    Presumably you have a C compiler and processor somewhere in your system. At
    a low level, processors usually talk to peripherals via memory-mapped ports.

    So the place to start is to get some IO device hooked up to your processor,
    and a C program performing IO - eg inputting a number, incrementing it, and
    outputting it.
    Once you know the C system is working, the next thing to do is to get the
    touch screen working - so you accept input and produce some sort of output.
    The final stage is to get the C program to produce the output you want for
    specified input via high-level logic.

    Malcolm, Sep 21, 2005
  4. a doc wrote on 21/09/05 :
    > For a 3rd year electronic engineering project i will need to program a
    > touch screen. I will have to interface the screen, a 5 wire resistive
    > model to an ATMEL AVR 90s8535. I have no idea where to begin. Does
    > anyone know how i will be able to set a resolution, then re-route the
    > signal as a serial mouse command?
    >
    > If anyone has any expereince in this please let me know, alex

    How is this a C question ?

    You have a design problem. Get information about the hardware, the
    interfaces, the flowchart, the timings.

    Then write the algorithms, and finally, translate the algorithms into
    code (C or whatever).

    news:comp.arch.embedded could be helpful for design details.

    --
    Emmanuel

    "Mal nommer les choses c'est ajouter du malheur au
    monde." -- Albert Camus.

    Emmanuel Delahaye, Sep 21, 2005
  5. <> wrote:
    >For a 3rd year electronic engineering project i will need to program a
    >touch screen. I will have to interface the screen, a 5 wire resistive
    >model to an ATMEL AVR 90s8535. I have no idea where to begin. ....

    Try the following groups:
    comp.arch.embedded -
    comp.robotics.misc -(even if your project has nothing to do with
    robotics, this group can provide a wealth of embedded SW and
    electronics/interface related info.)

    And the following web sites:
    http://www.avrfreaks.net/
    http://r.webring.com/hub?ring=avr
    http://www.ipass.net/hammill/newavr.htm

    Come back to this group when you have a C language question.

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group, ]
    [ return address is invalid. ]

    Roberto Waltman, Sep 21, 2005
  6. a doc

    adoc Guest

    well, thanks to for the information, those of you who helped. The program
    must be written in C and read by a microcontroller.

    alex

    adoc, Sep 22, 2005
  7. a doc

    Daniel Rudy Guest

    At about the time of 9/21/2005 11:26 AM, Malcolm stated the following:
    > "a doc" <> wrote
    >
    >>For a 3rd year electronic engineering project i will need to program a
    >>touch screen. I will have to interface the screen, a 5 wire resistive
    >>model to an ATMEL AVR 90s8535. I have no idea where to begin.
    >>

    > You need to begin with what you have.
    > For instance do you have hardware, or do you have to build it yourself?
    > I also have no idea what an AMTEL AVR 90s8535 is? Is it some sort of
    > microprocessor?

    I do. It's a 8-bit RISC microcontroller (embedded control processor)
    that is manufactured by Atmel. Info here:
    http://www.atmel.com/products/AVR/

    I personally have used the ATMega series controllers for my embedded stuff.
    --
    Daniel Rudy

    Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
    Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m

    Daniel Rudy, Sep 22, 2005
  8. a doc

    Mabden Guest

    "a doc" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For a 3rd year electronic engineering project i will need to program a
    > touch screen. I will have to interface the screen, a 5 wire resistive
    > model to an ATMEL AVR 90s8535. I have no idea where to begin. Does
    > anyone know how i will be able to set a resolution, then re-route the
    > signal as a serial mouse command?
    >
    > If anyone has any expereince in this please let me know, alex

    I do this everyday. It is called a Palm. You tap the little stylus on
    the screen and the OS sends an event to your program. The latest Treo is
    also a phone, a jukebox, and a camera. The programming environment is
    pure C, but no one here likes to talk about it... :-(

    Whatever you are trying to do with wires is like learning how to create
    a Difference Engine (Google "Babbitt") to add a column of numbers. Not
    worth the effort. But good luck with that degree.

    An EE is like saying you were in the Marines. It's not what you learned
    doing it, it is just really impressive that you got through it alive and
    sane. Of course, no one has...

    --
    Mabden

    Mabden, Sep 22, 2005
  9. a doc

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Mabden wrote On 09/22/05 09:40,:
    > [...]
    > Whatever you are trying to do with wires is like learning how to create
    > a Difference Engine (Google "Babbitt") [...]

    Google gives me the title character in Sinclair Lewis'
    novel, the twentieth-century American twelve-tone composer,
    various firms that manufacture Babbitt bearings, and assorted
    other references -- none of which have any obvious connection
    to the Difference Engine of Charles Babbage.

    Has there been a slippitt in your verbiitt? Have you
    suffered a mental blockitt? What produced this cleavitt
    between languitt and usitt? Are you simply unappreciative
    of our herititt, like so many other New Itt underitt
    teenittrs? I hope the damitt is by now assuittd.

    Eric Sosman, Sep 22, 2005
  10. On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:37:38 -0400, Eric Sosman said to the parser:

    > Google gives me the title character in Sinclair Lewis'
    > novel, the twentieth-century American twelve-tone composer, various firms
    > that manufacture Babbitt bearings, and assorted other references

    Thank goodness I was ve-wy ve-wy quiet while you were hunting babbitts.

    --
    Michael Coyne
    http://turthalion.blogspot.com

    Michael Coyne, Sep 22, 2005
  11. a doc

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:33:55 -0400, "adoc"
    <> wrote:

    >well, thanks to for the information, those of you who helped. The program
    >must be written in C and read by a microcontroller.

    I hope you realize that the best help you got was the advice to post
    in a group where the subject is topical. Perhaps not - I haven't
    noticed the query in comp.arch.embedded, which would be one of the
    more obvious choices.

    The fact that the program "must be written in C" does not make it
    topical here, unless you encounter C language problems or questions
    while you are writing it. If you do, please post here.

    You cannot expect C programmers, in general, to know much about ATMEL
    AVR 90s8535 chips. Also, keep in mind that any information you get
    about them here is NOT going to be reviewed and verified by
    knowledgeable peers, and could be utter hogwash.

    BTW, the advice you got about using the resources you have and
    investigating the subject yourself was good, as well. When you
    graduate, and work in the real world, you can't count on having
    someone else hand you the solution.

    Do the best you can, and go for help when you get stuck.
    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting

    Alan Balmer, Sep 22, 2005