    Without resorting to writing a virus, is there a way out of this ?

    Thanks.

    , Mar 17, 2008

  2. On 17.03.2008 11:07, wrote:
    > My associate has compiled a web book. To read the web book, a reader
    > is required. The reader is available freely on the internet, ie can be
    > downloaded.
    >
    > To download and install from the internet (file format is EXE file),
    > an warning message will be displayed by a browser (IE/Firefox/Opera).
    >
    > My associate wants to get rid of the warning message; he wants the
    > reader to be installed silently so that the user will not notice it !!

    That's a very bad idea. Everybody with the slightest interest in
    maintaining a virus free Windows system will block automated execution
    of executables.

    > Without resorting to writing a virus, is there a way out of this ?

    Use PDF - or an Applet.

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Mar 17, 2008

  3. On Mar 17, 9:07 pm, wrote:
    > My associate has compiled a web book. To read the web book, a reader
    > is required.

    Why not deploy the information using JavaHelp
    and webstart?

    It could be done *sandboxed* if the user can do
    without such things as favorites and printing.

    You might even offer a number of versions. One
    entirely snadboxed, the other with favorites
    and printing.

    I had some examples of JavaHelp up at my
    site, including one that had a collection
    of 'homoeopathic herbal information' pages,
    complete with search.. but it is off-line
    for the time-being. :-(

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 17, 2008
  4. Eric Sosman Guest

    wrote:
    > My associate has compiled a web book. To read the web book, a reader
    > is required. The reader is available freely on the internet, ie can be
    > downloaded.
    >
    > To download and install from the internet (file format is EXE file),
    > an warning message will be displayed by a browser (IE/Firefox/Opera).
    >
    > My associate wants to get rid of the warning message; he wants the
    > reader to be installed silently so that the user will not notice it !!

    What a moronic idea.

    > Without resorting to writing a virus, is there a way out of this ?

    If your associate succeeds, his program will *be* a virus.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid

    Eric Sosman, Mar 17, 2008