Programming Excel Efficiently

ibeetb

My head is exploding with the 500 different ways shown on Microsoft's site
to program Excel (Office)
Can anyone offer the best solution to the following:
I want to program a couple of Excel reports for both Mac Users and PC users
and have them access from a web site. These users not only have different
platforms (Mac and PC) but many have different versions of Excel (XP, 2002,
2003, 2000). What does Microsoft have out there that would be compatible
with all of the above differences??
I am open to VBA, VB.Net, ASP.NET, etc........

ibeetb

By the way, I already have spreadsheets LOADED with vba code and would like
to use asp.net to make them interactive to users of varying
platforms.....any help would be appreciated

Carl Prothman [MVP]

ibeetb said:
By the way, I already have spreadsheets LOADED with vba code and
would like to use asp.net to make them interactive to users of varying
platforms.....any help would be appreciated

Make sure to check out Steve Orr's article on "Export to Excel -
Use ASP.NET to send functionally rich reports to your users."
http://www.aspnetpro.com/NewsletterArticle/2003/09/asp200309so_l/asp200309so_l.asp

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman

Alvin Bruney

That's a tuffy right there. If you use the client-side spreadsheet it is a
com object so it should likely run on any COM supported platform. I'm not
sure of this simply because I haven't tried it

Alvin Bruney

wasn't done yet,
If your strategy is to stream to the browser, the browser needs to support
the Mime type. I'm thinking this is your best bet. I'm not sure why I really
think that because I certainly have not tried it cross platform, but the
client side approach is troublesome even on supported platforms so it's a
good guess that it may more troublesome for cross platform.