programming GUI boxes via array?

Mark Scott

I am trying to fill out some boxes on a webpage using JavaScript. Rather
than use the wasy method (see attached function! is there anyway I can set
the form element way by using a for loop? I tried:

function showStockLevels()
{
var writeCounter
for (writeCounter = 0; writeCounter < ProductPrices.length; writeCounter =
writeCounter + 1);
{
document.administrator.itemCodes[writecounter]+MainStock.value =
productPrices[writeCounter]

but that threw an error. any ideas?

<SCRIPT
language="JavaScript"
type="text/javascript">
var productDescriptions = ['Superslurry electric blender', 'Apple - iPod
(second-hand)', 'CoziNap nylon duvet tog 2', 'Headbanger mini hi-fi 20W',
'MagiBoot shoe cleaning kit', 'The PushmiPulu lawnmower'];
var productPrices = [45, 50, 15, 25, 75, 70];
var productStock = [200, 0, 2, 500, 500, 15];
var receivedLevels = [50, 10, 150, 500, 50, 100];

function showStockLevels()
{
document.administrator.ssMainStock.value='200';
document.administrator.aiMainStock.value='0';
document.administrator.cnMainStock.value='2';
document.administrator.hbMainStock.value='500';
document.administrator.mbMainStock.value='50';
document.administrator.ppMainStock.value='15'
document.administrator.ssReceivedStock.value='50'
document.administrator.aiReceivedStock.value='10'
document.administrator.cnReceivedStock.value='150'
document.administrator.hbReceivedStock.value='500'
document.administrator.mbReceivedStock.value='50'
document.administrator.ppReceivedStock.value='100'
}

</SCRIPT>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<FORM NAME = "administrator">
<BR>
SOFA SPEND plc. CURRENT STOCK LEVELS<BR><BR>
Superslurry electric blenders <BR> Current stock
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE = "text"
NAME = "ssMainStock"
VALUE = "" >
NAME = "ssReceivedStock"
VALUE = "">
<BR><BR>
Apple iPods (second hand) <BR> Current stock
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE = "text"
NAME = "aiMainStock"
VALUE = "" >
NAME = "aiReceivedStock"
VALUE = "">
<BR><BR>
CoziNap duvets<BR> Current stock
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE = "text"
NAME = "cnMainStock"
VALUE = "" >
NAME = "cnReceivedStock"
VALUE = "">
<BR><BR>
Headbanger hi-fi<BR> Current stock
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE = "text"
NAME = "hbMainStock"
VALUE = "" >
NAME = "hbReceivedStock"
VALUE = "">
<BR><BR>
Magiboot cleaning kits<BR> Current stock
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE = "text"
NAME = "mbMainStock"
VALUE = "" >
NAME = "mbReceivedStock"
VALUE = "">
<BR><BR>
PushmiPulu lawnmowers<BR> Current stock
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE = "text"
NAME = "ppMainStock"
VALUE = "" >
NAME = "ppReceivedStock"
VALUE = "">
<BR><BR>
<INPUT TYPE = "button"
VALUE = "Show all stock holdings"
ONCLICK = "showStockLevels()">
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Doug Gunnoe

function showStockLevels()
{
var writeCounter
for (writeCounter = 0; writeCounter < ProductPrices.length; writeCounter=
writeCounter + 1);
{
document.administrator.itemCodes[writecounter]+MainStock.value =
productPrices[writeCounter]

That does not make sense.

You are adding or concatenating 'itemCodes[writecounter]' and
'MainStock.value' then assigning 'productPrices[writeCounter]' to
what?

If you are trying to modify all the input elements of your form, maybe
something like this:

var myForm = document.getElementsByName('administrator')[0];

for(var i =0;i< myForm.childNodes.length;i++){
if(myForm.childNodes.nodeName == "INPUT")
myForm.childNodes.value = MainStock.value +
productPrices[writeCounter] //or whatever you were trying to do here
}

and provided that MainStock.value is a legitimate reference

Mark Scott

THanks for that but im not sure what your code acheives (just getting into
the javascript). What I was trying to do is use an array to reference
each form element. I have created an array of the first bit of the form
name and wanted to use a for loop to concatenate the first bit with the last
bit.

function showStockLevels()
{
[...]

My code references each input element of your form and modifies it.
What I was trying to do is use an array to reference
each form element. I have created an array of the first bit of the form
name and wanted to use a for loop to concatenate the first bit with the last
bit.

Are you trying to change the values of the form?
document.administrator.itemCodes

What is itemCodes? There is no itemCodes node in your document.

Your statement is trying to access a node from the root 'document' to
a node called 'administrator' and then a nonexistent child element of
administrator called 'itemCodes'.

A better way of referencing such nodes would be methods like
getElementsByName, getElementByID.

And can you explain what you expect the following to do?
document.administrator.itemCodes[writecounter]+MainStock.value = productPrices[writeCounter]

Good luck.