programming in eclipse.... need help

puzzlecracker

I just installed Eclipse 3.1, set up the project, etc. Every time I
click on a class, method, variable, it gets colored/shaded with yellow.
That is annoying, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Please help.

Thanks.

Jim McMaster

I just installed Eclipse 3.1, set up the project, etc. Every time I
click on a class, method, variable, it gets colored/shaded with
yellow. That is annoying, and I don't know how to get rid of it.
Please help.

Thanks.

Eclipse is highlighting all occurrences of the symbol for you. It
actually can be quite useful, once you get used to it.

If it really bothers you, open up the Preferences... dialog under the
Windows menu. Open up Java->Editor and go to "Mark Occurrences". On
that page, you can turn off marking for any or all of the things you do
not want to see.

puzzlecracker

Jim said:
Eclipse is highlighting all occurrences of the symbol for you. It
actually can be quite useful, once you get used to it.

If it really bothers you, open up the Preferences... dialog under the
Windows menu. Open up Java->Editor and go to "Mark Occurrences". On
that page, you can turn off marking for any or all of the things you do
not want to see.

once it highlighted it is fine, I am curious how to unhighlighted, but
not permanately.

Roland

once it highlighted it is fine, I am curious how to unhighlighted, but
not permanately.
In the Java perspective (menu Window -> Open Perspective -> Java)
there's a button on the toolbar to switch it on and off.

The button looks like the tip of a yellow marker pen and on my system
it's located below and slightly to the right of the Help menu. When you
hover over it with your mouse, the tooltip "Toggle Mark Occurrences"
should appear.

If you don't see this button, then it may have been disabled. Check the
checkbox at Window -> Customize Perspective... -> Commands -> Java
Editor Presentation to add the button to the toolbar.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
` ___ ___