    ---
    -> God had a deadline...
    So, he wrote it all in Lisp!

    Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos, on Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:16:34
    +0000, had to say:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
    > Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One Editor
    > for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in Python.

    There are lots. I personally use gvim [1]. A small Google search revealed
    this site which may help you further:

    http://sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/languages/python/editors/

    Cheers,
    Mikhail

    [1] http://www.vim.org/

    Mikhail Esteves, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Emile van Sebille, Oct 31, 2003
  4. On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:16:34 -0500, Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de
    Matos wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
    > Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One Editor
    > for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in Python.
    >
    > Best regards,

    Others have posted links to good editor lists. From those lists, my
    personal favorite is Jed, if I am using the console. If I am in a GUI
    environment, I like to use Kate (part of KDE).

    --
    Todd Stephens

    Todd Stephens, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Mikhail Esteves fed this fish to the penguins on Thursday 30 October
    2003 15:33 pm:

    (for some reason the original post is not on my system -- suspect it
    failed some filter)

    > Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos, on Thu, 30 Oct 2003
    > 22:16:34 +0000, had to say:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
    >> Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One
    >> Editor for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in
    >> Python.

    > There are lots. I personally use gvim [1]. A small Google search
    > revealed this site which may help you further:

    For Quick&Dirty, I tend to just invoke Idle.

    For more complex stuff, gvim invoked from a console lets me use the
    console for running while the editor has its own window. The advantage
    of the console/gvim pair is that I can fiddle with data/scratch files
    directly.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Oct 31, 2003
  6. Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos <> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
    > Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One Editor
    > for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in Python.

    I'd recommend ipython + emacs. Apart from the fact that emacs is simply the
    most powerful general purpose editor, the python support is also pretty good
    (apart from editing support (such as block shifting commands) there is a good
    integration with an interactive ipython session, so not only do you get
    ipython's readable tracebacks but you can also easily jump to the actual
    files/line where the problem occured etc.). Also try @pdb on.

    'as

    Alexander Schmolck, Oct 31, 2003