Programming languages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paulo, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. Paulo

    Paulo Guest

    Paulo, Mar 5, 2008

  2. "Paulo" <> wrote in message
    news:uK%...

    > http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
    >
    > Can not ASP.net be considered a programming language?

    No it can't.

    Lifted straight from the above site: "ASP and ASP.NET are [also] not
    programming languages because they make use of [other] languages such as
    JavaScript and VBScript or .NET compatible languages. The same is true for
    frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Cocoa, and AJAX."

    Whether AJAX is a framework or not, though, is another matter...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Mar 5, 2008

  3. Paulo

    David Wier Guest

    Recruiters call me at least a few times a month asking me if I program in
    ASP.net - - -
    In the past, I've gone through the whole process of explaining the Platform
    vs Programming Language scenario, but to no avail, they still don't seem to
    be able to get it.
    For the others, though I know C#, my expertise lies mainly in VB.Net, and
    though my resume explicitly lists ASP.Net, VB.Net - I constantly also get
    emails for C# positions - they'll say 'well, you do ASP.Net, and that's what
    they're mainly looking for'
    (very frustrating some time)

    David Wier
    http://aspnet101.com
    bloated markup

    David Wier, Mar 5, 2008
  4. Paulo

    ASF Guest

    This happens to me as well!

    ASF, Mar 5, 2008
  5. "David Wier" <> wrote in message

    > For the others, though I know C#, my expertise lies mainly in VB.Net, and
    > though my resume explicitly lists ASP.Net, VB.Net - I constantly also get
    > emails for C# positions - they'll say 'well, you do ASP.Net, and that's
    > what they're mainly looking for'
    > (very frustrating some time)

    But true...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Mar 5, 2008
  6. "ASF" <> wrote in message

    >> though my resume explicitly lists ASP.Net, VB.Net - I constantly also get
    >> emails for C# positions - they'll say 'well, you do ASP.Net, and that's
    >> what
    >> they're mainly looking for'

    > This happens to me as well!

    My CV / resume lists ASP.NET and C# explicitly - no-one ever emails me for
    VB.NET positions...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP