    pointer of a window of pixels (e.g. 320x200 px) and then let the
    object write the image data into that location.

    Felix

    Felix Kater, Feb 12, 2007

  2. Hello,

    Felix Kater wrote:

    > I am looking for an example or manual how to write my own object to be
    > used in html's <object> ... </object> section.
    >
    > I am especially looking for the way how an object (to be written in C)
    > receives the values from param tags and, in turn, how the object could
    > return series of images to the browser as a result, similar to a video
    > player. It would be optimal if there was a way to get the hands on a
    > pointer of a window of pixels (e.g. 320x200 px) and then let the
    > object write the image data into that location.

    What you are looking for are instructions to write browser plugins. For IE
    this is involves ActiveX controls, most other browsers support the NPAPI
    which was introduced by Netscape. See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI>
    for an intro and some links.

    HTH

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Feb 12, 2007

  3. Felix Kater

    Felix Kater Guest

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:01:26 +0100
    Benjamin Niemann <> wrote:

    > What you are looking for are instructions to write browser plugins.

    Thanks a lot! I think that's it what I was looking for.

    > For IE this is involves ActiveX controls, most other browsers support
    > the NPAPI which was introduced by Netscape.

    However, do I really have to write different plugins for different
    browsers (like Firefox and Internet Explorer) even if they run on the
    *same* plattform? With other words: IE does not unterstand NPAPI built
    plugins? No way to just write 2 types of plugins (one for windows,
    one for unix/mac osx)?

    Thanks again!

    Felix

    Felix Kater, Feb 13, 2007
  4. Felix Kater wrote:

    > With other words: IE does not unterstand NPAPI built plugins?

    Recent versions of IE don't. IE up to and including 5.5sp1 support NPAPI.
    It is possible to write just a NPAPI plugin and use an ActiveX wrapper to
    support recent versions of IE.

    Such a wrapper can be found here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/plugin-host-control.html

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

    * = I'm getting there!

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 13, 2007