    together, and the file is quite slow to load in adobe reader 2.0.
    I would very much prefer chm books than PDF! damn...

    Firestar
    firestar, Jan 23, 2005

  2. firestar

    Wes Moxam Guest

    I have the same problem trying to view it on my Treo.
    The Adobe tool for converting the pdf to the mobile version format
    also inflated the file size by quite a bit .....

    -- Wes

    Wes Moxam, Feb 1, 2005

  3. firestar

    firestar Guest

    PDF sucks! :(

    firestar, Feb 2, 2005
  4. firestar

    Eric Hodel Guest

    --Apple-Mail-40-214385678

    On 23 Jan 2005, at 06:35, firestar wrote:

    > Shucks I just bought the PDF version of Programing Ruby 2nd Edition,
    > intending to read it on my PDA while travelling, and to my horror I
    > can't view it properly on my PocketPC! The words are all stuck
    > together, and the file is quite slow to load in adobe reader 2.0.
    > I would very much prefer chm books than PDF! damn...

    Dave and Andy wrote a great Ruby book only to release it online costing
    them many, many sales. I think its great that they were willing to
    release the book in an easily distributable format with so few
    restrictions on it.

    From the PragProg PDF FAQ:

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://segment7.net
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    --Apple-Mail-40-214385678
    name=PGP.sig
    content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

    --Apple-Mail-40-214385678--
    Eric Hodel, Feb 2, 2005
  5. firestar

    Dave Thomas Guest

    > On 23 Jan 2005, at 06:35, firestar wrote:
    >
    >> Shucks I just bought the PDF version of Programing Ruby 2nd Edition,
    >> intending to read it on my PDA while travelling, and to my horror I
    >> can't view it properly on my PocketPC! The words are all stuck
    >> together, and the file is quite slow to load in adobe reader 2.0.
    >> I would very much prefer chm books than PDF! damn...

    We'd love to find a way around this, but so far we haven't been able to
    find anyone who can tell us what the issue is. It's been reported that
    if you don't reflow the text, it works OK. There's a theory that it is
    to do with the font handling, but I have nothing that helps we work out
    what to do differently to make the issue go away.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Dave
    Dave Thomas, Feb 3, 2005
  6. firestar

    firestar Guest

    thanks Dave for responding here and my previous mail. (this topic was
    actually posted prior to emailing you abt the pdf problem)

    Yeah, the font problem happens when reflow is used. Wonder whether it
    affect palm too. I guess I have to read the book on my laptop for now.

    firestar
    firestar, Feb 4, 2005
  7. firestar

    firestar Guest

    I don't understand yr point. It is precisely because this book has a
    ebook version that I decided to buy it.

    Generally I find reading chm is less problematic on pocket pc compared
    to pdf. I guess adobe reader on pocket pc is buggy.
    firestar, Feb 4, 2005
  8. firestar

    firestar Guest

    Sorry i was responding to Eric Hodel's posting. Wonder why the 'Reply'
    link did not quote the previous posting

    firestar, Feb 4, 2005