Programming Ruby For Newbies

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jin Dynasty, Sep 4, 2007.

  1. Jin Dynasty

    Jin Dynasty Guest

    Howdy there,
    I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
    treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
    programming before.

    I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
    a first language; my mother tongue. :p

    Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
    those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
    tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
    the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.

    To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
    for dummies.

    I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
    your recommendation or referrals.

    Thanks in advanced,
    Jin

    Jin Dynasty, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Jin Dynasty

    Guest

    Hi --

    On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Jin Dynasty wrote:

    > Howdy there,
    > I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
    > treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
    > programming before.
    >
    > I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
    > a first language; my mother tongue. :p
    >
    > Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
    > those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
    > tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
    > the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.
    >
    > To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
    > for dummies.
    >
    > I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
    > your recommendation or referrals.

    You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
    intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.

    http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

    David

    --
    * Books:
    * Ruby/Rails training

    , Sep 4, 2007

  3. Jin Dynasty

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Jin Dynasty wrote:
    > Howdy there,
    > I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
    > treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
    > programming before.
    >
    > I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
    > a first language; my mother tongue. :p
    >
    > Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
    > those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
    > tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
    > the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.
    >
    > To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
    > for dummies.

    Check out Peter Cooper's _Beginning_Ruby_, from Apress.

    --
    RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/]
    RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1618]

    Tim Hunter, Sep 4, 2007
  4. wrote:
    > Hi --
    >
    > On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Jin Dynasty wrote:
    >
    >> Howdy there,
    >> I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
    >> treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
    >> programming before.
    >>
    >> I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
    >> a first language; my mother tongue. :p
    >>
    >> Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
    >> those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
    >> tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
    >> the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.
    >>
    >> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
    >> for dummies.
    >>
    >> I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
    >> your recommendation or referrals.

    > You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
    > intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.
    >
    > http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
    >

    > David

    I agree - I strongly recommend this one!

    Cheers,
    Mohit.
    9/4/2007 | 11:12 AM.

    Mohit Sindhwani, Sep 4, 2007
  5. Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>> a first language; my mother tongue. :p
    >>> your recommendation or referrals.

    >> You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
    >> intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.
    >>
    >> http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
    >>

    >> David
    >>

    > I agree - I strongly recommend this one!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mohit.
    > 9/4/2007 | 11:12 AM.

    I second that second!

    Ruby is my first language as well, and Chris Pine's book was essential!
    Buy it. It's worth it.

    Jonathan Denni, Sep 4, 2007
  6. 2007/9/4, Jin Dynasty <>:

    > Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
    > those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
    > tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
    > the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.

    I really love why's guide: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ It woke the
    interest for Ruby in me and kept me digging deeper in it. I love the
    cartoons and the crazy sidebars

    Thomas Wieczorek, Sep 4, 2007
  7. Jin Dynasty

    7stud -- Guest

    Jin Dynasty wrote:
    > Now I
    > tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
    > the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.

    I'm reading it now, and I agree with you--a newcomer to programming has
    no chance of understanding it, so don't feel bad.

    7stud --, Sep 4, 2007
  8. Jin Dynasty

    John Joyce Guest

    The Pickaxe is best as a reference or a starting point for
    experienced programmers, but indispensible as a reference book for Ruby.
    Chris Pine's "Learning to Program" is excellent for anyone completely
    new to programming.
    After that, Peter Cooper's book, Beginning Ruby, From Novice to
    Professional, might not make you professional (that's the Apress
    series subtitle, but it will take you on a tour of lots of things you
    can do with Ruby.
    This mailing list is also definitely the right place for questions.

    John Joyce, Sep 4, 2007
  9. 2007/9/4, Thomas Wieczorek <>:

    > I really love why's guide: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ It woke the
    > interest for Ruby in me and kept me digging deeper in it. I love the
    > cartoons and the crazy sidebars

    Ah, there's also a book form of why's guide, but I can't find the shop
    right now.

    Thomas Wieczorek, Sep 4, 2007
  10. Jin Dynasty

    rgossen Guest

    I am also a Ruby and programming newb, and I have bought countless
    books. I would recommend that you start with Chris Pine's "Learn to
    Program." From there, I would go with David Black's "Ruby for Rails,"
    particularly if you plan to get into Rails. Other responses mentioned
    Peter Cooper's "Beginning Ruby" and I found that to be a good book as
    well.

    Rahlyn

    rgossen, Sep 4, 2007
  11. Jin Dynasty wrote:
    > Howdy there,
    > I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
    > treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
    > programming before.
    >
    > I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
    > a first language; my mother tongue. :p
    >
    > Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
    > those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
    > tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
    > the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.
    >
    > To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
    > for dummies.
    >
    > I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
    > your recommendation or referrals.
    >
    > Thanks in advanced,
    > Jin

    "You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
    intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.

    http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/"

    I agree with David, this was the first programming book I ever read. You
    will want to read it twice though. I was in the same boat you were in. I
    hate reading, and it takes me a while to understand some of these
    things. He has you do small examples in the book and gives you small
    tests. If you make it through completely 1 time through, then start back
    at the beginning like it's your first time through, and you will catch
    so much you missed the first time.

    ~Jeremy

    Jeremy Woertink, Sep 4, 2007
  12. Lloyd Linklater, Sep 4, 2007
  13. Jin Dynasty

    Ayyappan K. Guest

    Ayyappan K., Sep 4, 2007
  14. Jin Dynasty

    Ari Brown Guest

    On Sep 3, 2007, at 9:50 PM, Phlip wrote:
    >> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby
    >> guide
    >> for dummies.

    > Please don't tempt us. ;-)

    My only problem with For Dummy books is that they have poor paper
    quality. 'Nuff said.

    -------------------------------------------------------|
    ~ Ari
    crap my sig won't fit

    Ari Brown, Sep 4, 2007
  15. Jin Dynasty

    John Joyce Guest

    Like all books, many publishers' quality varies within a series from
    title to title though the covers look similar.
    Luckily, with Ruby, almost all the books are very very good.
    If you want to learn Rails at some point, you want to get the book
    from Sitepoint or the Friends of Ed book. They're both pretty good to
    people new at programming and new at Ruby and new at web applications.
    David Black's book is excellent for it's incredible and unique Ruby
    insights, but it's approach to Rails is a bit out of date. That said,
    it's still a very good book that should be in your Ruby library. It's
    just too bad that the middle section dedicated to Ruby isn't
    rewritten and bound as a purely Ruby book.
    You'll see his posts here FREQUENTLY. David's posts are always worth
    reading, no matter what you're doing with Ruby.
    But you will see a whole host of names of people who post here
    regularly that also have lots of insight and are very helpful.

    Don't hesitate to visit the web sites of books and their authors.
    Ruby and Rails authors are nice people and will actually respond to
    you and try to help you if they can.

    John Joyce, Sep 4, 2007
  16. Jonathan Denni wrote:
    > Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
    >>> intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.
    >>>
    >>> http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

    >> I agree - I strongly recommend this one!

    > I second that second!
    >
    > Ruby is my first language as well, and Chris Pine's book was essential!
    > Buy it. It's worth it.

    My personal dream book is "Learn to Pragmatically Program Ruby for
    Rails, Head First (with Foxes)" by Chris Pine, Dave Thomas, David
    Black, Kathy Sierra and _why the lucky stiff, but I doubt that will
    ever get written (-;

    jwm

    Jörg W Mittag, Sep 5, 2007
  17. I am currently reading Peter Cooper's "Beginning Ruby From Novice to
    Professional" from appres. It has been a very funny experience and I =
    have
    enjoyed so far, with good examples and simple programming projects that =
    tie
    all together and help me make perfect sense of Ruby's ways. Check this =
    book
    at =
    http://www.rubyinside.com/my-book-beginning-ruby-published-today-437.html=

    Hope it helps.

    Luis Fernando Flores Oviedo
    Project Management Professional

    Luis Fernando Flores Oviedo, Sep 5, 2007