    3. Is this the best group for this sort of question?

    Thanks,

    Mark
    Mark, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Mark

    megagurka Guest

    Mark skrev:
    > I am trying to get int Java Applet programming. For better or worse, I'm
    > on Windows.

    Are you sure you want to create Applets? Unless you must embed the
    application on a web page, a Web Start application is a much better
    choice.

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

    > 2. What is a good, simple, free ide?

    Eclipse is good and free, it's not simple though. You might also wanna
    try NetBeans.

    > 3. Is this the best group for this sort of question?

    comp.lang.java.help is more suitable.

    /JN
    megagurka, Nov 11, 2005

  3. megagurka wrote:

    > Mark skrev:
    >
    >>I am trying to get int Java Applet programming. For better or worse, I'm
    >>on Windows.

    > Are you sure you want to create Applets?

    Good question. Applet devlopment is not the best
    thing to start learning Java.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#appfirst>

    >...Unless you must embed the
    > application on a web page, a Web Start application is a much better
    > choice.

    Applets can be webstarted, though the OP might have the best
    of all worlds and have an applet that is *also* an application.
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Thanks

    megagurka wrote:
    > Mark skrev:
    >
    >>I am trying to get int Java Applet programming. For better or worse, I'm
    >>on Windows.

    > Are you sure you want to create Applets? Unless you must embed the
    > application on a web page, a Web Start application is a much better
    > choice.

    Applets are not necessary. What is a Web Start application? Is it
    something new?

    >>1. Where is the best link for the current Java SDK? I have been to the
    >>java.sun.com site, but can't find an actual link to down load it ...

    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

    Tried that, but what do I click on next? Do I need to download the whole
    J2EE or NetBeans?

    >>2. What is a good, simple, free ide?

    > Eclipse is good and free, it's not simple though. You might also wanna
    > try NetBeans.

    I tried Eclipse, but couldn't find my way through it. Is NetBeans as
    slow I think it is?

    >>3. Is this the best group for this sort of question?

    > comp.lang.java.help is more suitable.

    Thanks, I'll try that.

    > /JN

    -- Mark
    Mark, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Mark

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

    > Tried that, but what do I click on next? Do I need to download the whole
    > J2EE or NetBeans?

    You only need to "Download JDK 5.0 Update 5". I advise you to get the
    documentation too, unless you prefer to browse the documentation on Sun's
    website directly. You can ignore the J2EE stuff. "Netbeans" is Sun's IDE, you
    can make up your own mind whether you want to try that out, but you can safely
    ignore it if you want to.

    In my opinion Netbeans is much like Eclipse in that it's too big, too slow, by
    far too complicated, and too confusing -- but that's only my opinion, there are
    many peoply who like each of the IDEs (it depends on what you're used to, I
    suppose).

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Mark wrote:

    > What is a Web Start application?

    Webstart can apply to applets or applications.
    (Try the two JNLP files in this directory for examples)
    <http://www.physci.org/pc/>

    > ..Is it something new?

    Define 'new'. It goes back to Java 1.3.
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Mark

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:37:03 +1100, Mark <>

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Mark

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:37:03 +1100, Mark <>

    >2. What is a good, simple, free ide?

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

    take some for a test drive.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Mark

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:37:03 +1100, Mark <>

    >3. Is this the best group for this sort of question?

    comp.lang.java.help is more friendly to newbies.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    > ..
    >
    >> What is a Web Start application?

    > Webstart can apply to applets or applications.
    > (Try the two JNLP files in this directory for examples)
    > <http://www.physci.org/pc/>
    >
    >> ..Is it something new?

    > Define 'new'. It goes back to Java 1.3.

    New enough, though I don't remember reading about it in any of my books.
    I'll look up your reference.

    Thanks,

    mark
    Mark, Nov 11, 2005
  11. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Chris Uppal wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    >

    >>>http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

    >>Tried that, but what do I click on next? Do I need to download the whole
    >> J2EE or NetBeans?

    > You only need to "Download JDK 5.0 Update 5". I advise you to get the
    > documentation too, unless you prefer to browse the documentation on Sun's
    > website directly. You can ignore the J2EE stuff. "Netbeans" is Sun's IDE, you
    > can make up your own mind whether you want to try that out, but you can safely
    > ignore it if you want to.

    Now I call that less than obvious. I misinterpreted "update" to mean,
    well, "update" ... ?

    > In my opinion Netbeans is much like Eclipse in that it's too big, too slow, by
    > far too complicated, and too confusing -- but that's only my opinion, there are
    > many peoply who like each of the IDEs (it depends on what you're used to, I
    > suppose).
    >
    > -- chris

    What do you use? I've had a look at JCreator which seems a bit leaner
    and faster.

    mark
    Mark, Nov 11, 2005
  12. Mark

    zero Guest

    Mark <> wrote in news:pPYcf.310$WM.10243
    @nasal.pacific.net.au:

    > 2. What is a good, simple, free ide?

    I strongly suggest you *don't* use an IDE, at least at first. Most IDEs
    have code-completion (or whatever they call it), which makes life too easy.
    You can't learn to write when someone (in this case the IDE) is holding
    your hand all the time. Plus, IDEs hide the javac and java/javaw command
    line arguments from you. The first time you try to compile and run an
    application that uses packets without the IDE you'll be lost.

    Instead, I suggest you use a simple text editor, and the command line to
    compile and run. An editor that recognizes and highlights the code will
    help you quickly spot typos in keywords and common classes, without
    actually telling you what to type - or even writing code for you, as some
    IDEs do.

    Later, when you get more serious about Java programming, you may switch to
    an IDE, but for now I think you're better off with just a text editor.

    I've always been happy with TextPad, but there are many others out there
    that will handle java code.

    http://www.textpad.com
    zero, Nov 11, 2005
  13. Mark

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:44:34 +1100, Mark <>

    >> Webstart can apply to applets or applications.
    >> (Try the two JNLP files in this directory for examples)
    >> <http://www.physci.org/pc/>
    >>
    >>> ..Is it something new?

    I just learned about it myself a few weeks ago. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Nov 11, 2005
  14. Mark

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > > In my opinion Netbeans is much like Eclipse in that it's too big, too
    > > slow, by far too complicated, and too confusing -- but that's only my
    > > opinion, there are many peoply who like each of the IDEs (it depends on
    > > what you're used to, I suppose).

    [...]
    > What do you use? I've had a look at JCreator which seems a bit leaner
    > and faster.

    Depending on my mood and requirements, any of:

    simple editor + the command-line tools
    jGRASP
    Eclipse (cursing its obscurantist UI all the while ;-)

    or even sometimes:

    BlueJ

    Even though the latter is designed very specifically as a teaching tool, its
    simplicity and directness is appealing, especially when roughing out new class
    structures.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Nov 11, 2005
  15. Mark

    David Segall Guest

    Mark <> wrote:

    >I am trying to get int Java Applet programming. For better or worse, I'm
    >on Windows.
    >
    >1. Where is the best link for the current Java SDK? I have been to the
    >java.sun.com site, but can't find an actual link to down load it ...

    I suggest the "Download JDK 5.0 Update 5" link from
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp. You don't need the J2EE
    download and I would not bother with the "NetBeans Bundle" because the
    pre-release of NetBeans 1.5
    <http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/50/index.html> is
    significantly better than release 4.1.

    >2. What is a good, simple, free ide?

    The above is an excellent example of an oxymoron. If it's good it's
    not simple. I have written a summary of my search for an IDE here
    http://profectus.com.au/ee_JavaIDE.html.

    >3. Is this the best group for this sort of question?

    Probably. Beginners are supposed to go to comp.lang.java.help but,
    apart from a tiny number of kind, helpful contributors, nobody else
    monitors it. You get to choose between the correct group and the group
    with the best chance of getting a useful reply.

    David Segall, Nov 13, 2005
  16. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Thanks, all for you help. This gives me a good starting point.

    Regards,

    Mark
    Mark, Nov 15, 2005
  17. Mark

    Guest

    zero wrote:

    > I've always been happy with TextPad, but there are many others
    > out there that will handle java code.

    The Zeus for Windows IDE comes with support for Java:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html
    Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

    It has features like class browsing, syntax highlighting,
    smart indent, code folding, project/workspace management,
    integrated version control etc etc.

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus for Windows
    , Nov 17, 2005