Programming Tools

Mark

I am trying to get int Java Applet programming. For better or worse, I'm
on Windows.

1. Where is the best link for the current Java SDK? I have been to the
java.sun.com site, but can't find an actual link to down load it ...

2. What is a good, simple, free ide?

3. Is this the best group for this sort of question?

Thanks,

Mark

megagurka

Mark skrev:
I am trying to get int Java Applet programming. For better or worse, I'm
on Windows.

Are you sure you want to create Applets? Unless you must embed the
application on a web page, a Web Start application is a much better
choice.
1. Where is the best link for the current Java SDK? I have been to the
java.sun.com site, but can't find an actual link to down load it ...
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

2. What is a good, simple, free ide?

Eclipse is good and free, it's not simple though. You might also wanna
try NetBeans.
3. Is this the best group for this sort of question?

comp.lang.java.help is more suitable.

/JN

Andrew Thompson

megagurka said:
Mark skrev:

Are you sure you want to create Applets?

Good question. Applet devlopment is not the best
thing to start learning Java.
...Unless you must embed the
application on a web page, a Web Start application is a much better
choice.

Applets can be webstarted, though the OP might have the best
of all worlds and have an applet that is *also* an application.

Mark

Thanks
Mark skrev:

Are you sure you want to create Applets? Unless you must embed the
application on a web page, a Web Start application is a much better
choice.

Applets are not necessary. What is a Web Start application? Is it
something new?

Tried that, but what do I click on next? Do I need to download the whole
J2EE or NetBeans?
Eclipse is good and free, it's not simple though. You might also wanna
try NetBeans.

I tried Eclipse, but couldn't find my way through it. Is NetBeans as
slow I think it is?
comp.lang.java.help is more suitable.

Thanks, I'll try that.

-- Mark

Chris Uppal

Mark said:
Tried that, but what do I click on next? Do I need to download the whole
J2EE or NetBeans?

You only need to "Download JDK 5.0 Update 5". I advise you to get the
documentation too, unless you prefer to browse the documentation on Sun's
website directly. You can ignore the J2EE stuff. "Netbeans" is Sun's IDE, you
can make up your own mind whether you want to try that out, but you can safely
ignore it if you want to.

In my opinion Netbeans is much like Eclipse in that it's too big, too slow, by
far too complicated, and too confusing -- but that's only my opinion, there are
many peoply who like each of the IDEs (it depends on what you're used to, I
suppose).

-- chris

Mark

Andrew said:
Mark wrote:

..

Webstart can apply to applets or applications.
(Try the two JNLP files in this directory for examples)

Define 'new'. It goes back to Java 1.3.

New enough, though I don't remember reading about it in any of my books.
I'll look up your reference.

Thanks,

mark

Mark

Chris said:
Mark wrote:

You only need to "Download JDK 5.0 Update 5". I advise you to get the
documentation too, unless you prefer to browse the documentation on Sun's
website directly. You can ignore the J2EE stuff. "Netbeans" is Sun's IDE, you
can make up your own mind whether you want to try that out, but you can safely
ignore it if you want to.

Now I call that less than obvious. I misinterpreted "update" to mean,
well, "update" ... ?
In my opinion Netbeans is much like Eclipse in that it's too big, too slow, by
far too complicated, and too confusing -- but that's only my opinion, there are
many peoply who like each of the IDEs (it depends on what you're used to, I
suppose).

-- chris

What do you use? I've had a look at JCreator which seems a bit leaner
and faster.

mark

zero

2. What is a good, simple, free ide?

I strongly suggest you *don't* use an IDE, at least at first. Most IDEs
have code-completion (or whatever they call it), which makes life too easy.
You can't learn to write when someone (in this case the IDE) is holding
your hand all the time. Plus, IDEs hide the javac and java/javaw command
line arguments from you. The first time you try to compile and run an
application that uses packets without the IDE you'll be lost.

Instead, I suggest you use a simple text editor, and the command line to
compile and run. An editor that recognizes and highlights the code will
help you quickly spot typos in keywords and common classes, without
actually telling you what to type - or even writing code for you, as some
IDEs do.

Later, when you get more serious about Java programming, you may switch to
an IDE, but for now I think you're better off with just a text editor.

I've always been happy with TextPad, but there are many others out there
that will handle java code.

http://www.textpad.com

Chris Uppal

Mark said:
In my opinion Netbeans is much like Eclipse in that it's too big, too
slow, by far too complicated, and too confusing -- but that's only my
opinion, there are many peoply who like each of the IDEs (it depends on
what you're used to, I suppose).
[...]
What do you use? I've had a look at JCreator which seems a bit leaner
and faster.

Depending on my mood and requirements, any of:

simple editor + the command-line tools
jGRASP
Eclipse (cursing its obscurantist UI all the while ;-)

or even sometimes:

BlueJ

Even though the latter is designed very specifically as a teaching tool, its
simplicity and directness is appealing, especially when roughing out new class
structures.

-- chris

David Segall

Mark said:
I am trying to get int Java Applet programming. For better or worse, I'm
on Windows.

1. Where is the best link for the current Java SDK? I have been to the
java.sun.com site, but can't find an actual link to down load it ...
I suggest the "Download JDK 5.0 Update 5" link from
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp. You don't need the J2EE
download and I would not bother with the "NetBeans Bundle" because the
pre-release of NetBeans 1.5
2. What is a good, simple, free ide?
The above is an excellent example of an oxymoron. If it's good it's
not simple. I have written a summary of my search for an IDE here
http://profectus.com.au/ee_JavaIDE.html.
3. Is this the best group for this sort of question?
Probably. Beginners are supposed to go to comp.lang.java.help but,
apart from a tiny number of kind, helpful contributors, nobody else
monitors it. You get to choose between the correct group and the group
with the best chance of getting a useful reply.

jussij

zero said:
I've always been happy with TextPad, but there are many others
out there that will handle java code.

The Zeus for Windows IDE comes with support for Java:

http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

It has features like class browsing, syntax highlighting,
smart indent, code folding, project/workspace management,
integrated version control etc etc.

Jussi Jumppanen

Author: Zeus for Windows