Programming Xilinx PowerPC

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by ma, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. ma

    ma Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Veritex-4 PCI board and I like to program the PowerPC on it. I
    don't have the EDK from Xilinx. Here are my questions:

    How can program the PowerPC without buying EDK?

    As I know the compiler and linker is free (part of GNU) where can I get them
    for free?

    How can I download the compiled program to PowerPC?

    How can I get the output? For example if I write a hello world type of
    program, can I see the STDIO on screen?

    Any help is much appreciated.

    Best regards
    ma, Jan 6, 2006

  2. ma

    Antti Lukats Guest

    "ma" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Veritex-4 PCI board and I like to program the PowerPC on it. I
    > don't have the EDK from Xilinx. Here are my questions:
    >

    > How can program the PowerPC without buying EDK?

    short answer: you can not
    long answer: you can if write your own minimal replacement fo EDK

    > As I know the compiler and linker is free (part of GNU) where can I get
    > them for free?

    ppc gcc can be obtained but it want help you much, see above

    > How can I download the compiled program to PowerPC?

    over JTAG or buy preloading BRAMs

    > How can I get the output? For example if I write a hello world type of
    > program, can I see the STDIO on screen?

    use EDK or add your peripherals and re-implemented all the funtionality
    provide by EDK

    > Any help is much appreciated.

    doing it wihtout EDK costs you WAY more than than obtaining EDK, it could be
    done, but the time needed for that just isnt worht doing it

    sorry, but Xilinx REALLY REALLY doesnt want anyone to work on the Virtex PPC
    without using EDK, it is doable (without EDK) but it really isnt worht
    trying

    Antti
    Antti Lukats, Jan 6, 2006

  3. ma

    ma Guest

    Thanks.
    Can I program it without using JTAG possibly over PCI bus? I am ready to
    write appropriate driver if I know where can I get the documentation for
    writing such driver.

    Best regards

    ma, Jan 6, 2006
  4. ma

    Antti Lukats Guest

    "ma" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Thanks.
    > Can I program it without using JTAG possibly over PCI bus? I am ready to
    > write appropriate driver if I know where can I get the documentation for
    > writing such driver.

    you can "load" the program by any means you wish - as logn as you have
    written your own bootstrap loader.
    this can be of PCI bus also.

    but that is not your problem, without EDK you wast WAY too much time and
    most likely end up with nothing anyway - there is nothing to 'program' as
    long as you dont have the proper system bus structure and peripheral IP
    cores in place, and even as it is possible to be done without using EDK, it
    doesnt make sense.

    Antti
    Antti Lukats, Jan 6, 2006
  5. "ma" <> writes:

    > Where can I find information about writing a driver for downloading
    > program to PowerPC

    It depends. You have to get the code into memory somehow, either BRAM,
    SDRAM, FLASH, etc. that you have on your board. How you do that
    depends on the IO interface you have on your board, JTAG, USB, PCI,
    RS-232, etc.

    > redirecting its STDIO to a window in PC?

    That also depends on the IO interface you have on your board. If you
    have a serial-port you can print to the serial-port and get the output
    to a window on your PC using kermit or whatever serial program you
    prefer.

    Petter

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Petter Gustad, Jan 6, 2006
  6. ma

    ma Guest

    That make sense.
    My idea is that I buy EDK and then develop my driver to download and use the
    processor without JTAG by writing my own driver for PCI. My main aim is to
    learn in the cheapest way!
    Where can I find information about writing a driver for downloading program
    to PowerPC and also redirecting its STDIO to a window in PC?

    Best regards and thanks for your kind help.

    ma, Jan 6, 2006
  7. ma

    ma Guest

    Thanks
    I think I understood what I should do to download the program into PowerPC
    at least in theory :)
    But I couldn't understand what how can use PCI bus for getting STDIO out of
    board? assume that I have the following code in my PowerPC program:

    main()
    {
    printf("hello world\n");
    }

    what is the path from PowerPC to a window on PC? assuming I know how to
    communicate between FPGA board and PC.

    Best regards

    ma, Jan 7, 2006
  8. ma

    mk Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 00:06:09 GMT, "ma" <> wrote:

    >Thanks
    >I think I understood what I should do to download the program into PowerPC
    >at least in theory :)
    >But I couldn't understand what how can use PCI bus for getting STDIO out of
    >board? assume that I have the following code in my PowerPC program:
    >
    >main()
    >{
    > printf("hello world\n");
    >}
    >
    >what is the path from PowerPC to a window on PC? assuming I know how to
    >communicate between FPGA board and PC.

    Telling you the path is the easy part. You need to (re-)implement the
    printf library function and instead of writing to a file (number 1
    IIRC) you write the data to a memory buffer and generate an interrupt
    to the PCI bus. Your driver running on the PC, having received the
    interrupt, would read the data from the same buffer. It is no
    different than a network card receiving a packet from the network
    actually. How would you write a device driver which dumps all the
    packets to screen ? It's the same only the data doesn't come from the
    wire but from your printf implementation. You can structure your pc
    device driver/hardware communication stack similarly.
    mk, Jan 7, 2006
  9. ma

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:22:51 GMT, "ma" <> wrote in
    comp.dsp:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Veritex-4 PCI board and I like to program the PowerPC on it. I
    > don't have the EDK from Xilinx. Here are my questions:
    >

    > How can program the PowerPC without buying EDK?
    >
    > As I know the compiler and linker is free (part of GNU) where can I get them
    > for free?
    >
    > How can I download the compiled program to PowerPC?
    >
    > How can I get the output? For example if I write a hello world type of
    > program, can I see the STDIO on screen?
    >

    > Any help is much appreciated.
    >

    > Best regards

    Your program is not just programming the PowerPC core(s). The
    processors are hard core, but they have no connection at all to the
    outside world. You have to configure the FPGA to provide some
    internally memory, and for a program of any size, to act as a memory
    controller to more memory off the chip.

    Virtix provides IP for all of this, and all of this must be done
    before the PowerPC can even fetch its first instruction.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Jan 7, 2006
  10. ma

    Hal Murray Guest

    >> How can I download the compiled program to PowerPC?
    >>

    >over JTAG or buy preloading BRAMs

    Are they cheaper than the EDK?

    Are they available through the Xilinx online store?

    :) (good one)

    --
    The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
    other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited
    Hal Murray, Jan 7, 2006
  11. ma

    Eli Hughes Guest

    Please just buy the EDK. For the $500 its costs, the printf problem
    will be solved in about 30 minutes. The EDK its so much simple to do
    what you want.

    If you can't afford it and are a student, you can get a free University
    donation to the Lab.

    Eli Hughes, Jan 9, 2006
  12. On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:48:41 +0100, Eli Hughes <> wrote:

    > Please just buy the EDK. For the $500 its costs, the printf problem
    > will be solved in about 30 minutes. The EDK its so much simple to do
    > what you want.

    Ok, could you point me to some documentation/tutorial for the EDK?
    I got an eval version with a Spartan 3 dev kit some time ago, but it was
    so confusing I never understood how to use it, and I couldn't find any
    useful beginners-guide back then.

    //michael

    --
    Instead of email, use this: http://mtech.dk/thomsen/contact.php