Programs with Inline::C suddenly fail to compile

jl_post

Hi,

Last month I was tinkering around with the Inline::C module. I
even posted a small program to comp.lang.perl.misc with the subject
"Curious benchmark results with Inline::C". (If you want to see it,
you can find it at:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/920c641d68dd4910?dmode=source

)

Today I've gone back to that script and modified it a little. The
problem is, any change I make to the C code makes the code no longer
compile. If I leave the code untouched, then the script runs just
fine, but as soon as I make a small change (such as insert a space
somewhere), or even copy the script to a separate directory and run it
there, I get compiler errors.

For example, if I copy the "extra_function_c.pl" (found in the post
I referenced above) to my D:\tmp directory, cd to that directory, and
type:

perl extra_function_c.pl

I see the following output:

=== BEGIN OUTPUT ===
C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe C:\strawberry\perl\lib\ExtUtils
\xsubpp -typemap C:\strawberry\perl\lib\ExtUtils\typemap
extra_function_c_pl_850b.xs > extra_function_c_pl_850b.xsc && C:
\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe -MExtUtils::Command -e mv
extra_function_c_pl_850b.xsc extra_function_c_pl_850b.c
gcc -c -ID:/tmp -s -O2 -DWIN32 -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT -
DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS -fno-strict-aliasing -
DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -s -O2 -DVERSION=\"0.00\" -DXS_VERSION=
\"0.00\" "-IC:\strawberry\perl\lib\CORE" extra_function_c_pl_850b.c
Running Mkbootstrap for extra_function_c_pl_850b ()
C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe -MExtUtils::Command -e chmod 644
extra_function_c_pl_850b.bs
C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe -MExtUtils::Mksymlists \
-e "Mksymlists('NAME'=>\"extra_function_c_pl_850b\", 'DLBASE' =>
'extra_function_c_pl_850b', 'DL_FUNCS' => { }, 'FUNCLIST' => [],
'IMPORTS' => { }, 'DL_VARS' => []);"
dlltool --def extra_function_c_pl_850b.def --output-exp dll.exp
'dlltool' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
dmake: Error code 129, while making 'blib\arch\auto
\extra_function_c_pl_850b\extra_function_c_pl_850b.dll'

A problem was encountered while attempting to compile and install your
Inline
C code. The command that failed was:
dmake > out.make 2>&1

The build directory was:
D:\tmp\_Inline\build\extra_function_c_pl_850b

To debug the problem, cd to the build directory, and inspect the
output files.

at extra_function_c.pl line 4
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at extra_function_c.pl line 74.
=== END OUTPUT ===

It seems as though the problem starts around this line:

'dlltool' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I checked the C:\strawberry directory tree and no file named
dlltool.* appears to exist. Just in case it mysteriously disappeared
from my platform, I checked someone else's Strawberry Perl
installation, and he doesn't have it either.

Incidentally, I cd'ed to D:\tmp\_Inline\build
\extra_function_c_pl_850b and ran "dmake", and this is what I saw:

dlltool --def extra_function_c_pl_850b.def --output-exp dll.exp
'dlltool' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
dmake: Error code 129, while making 'blib\arch\auto
\extra_function_c_pl_850b\extra_function_c_pl_850b.dll'

So it does seem likely that it's failing because "dlltool" can't be
found.

I'm puzzled here. Why did this program work just fine last month,
and today it's trying to run "dlltool", a program that seems to have
never existed in my Strawberry Perl installation in the first place?

Does anyone know how to get Inline::C working for me again? (I
reinstalled it with "cpan -fi Inline::C" but it didn't make any
difference.)

Thanks.

-- Jean-Luc

jl_post

Have you upgraded ExtUtils::MakeMaker in the meanwhile,
or any other toolchain modules?

No, I haven't, although since you mentioned it, I tried re-
installing it with:

cpan -fi ExtUtils::MakeMaker

but that didn't seem to change anything. I finally got it working,
though, with your next suggestion:

Well, you could always find a copy of dlltool
(I presume it's part of GNU binutils for Win32)
and put it in strawberry\c\bin.

I checked, and dlltool.exe was not in my GNU unix utilities for
Win32 (I'm not sure... is that the same as GNU binutils?). However, I
did a "find2perl" search on C:\ and eventually found dlltool.exe in C:
\Program Files\GCL-2.6.7-ANSI\mingw\mingw32\bin , so I copied it to C:
\strawberry\c\bin (the directory where gcc.exe resides).

This solved the problem! My Inline::C programs now compile.

Of course, I'm still puzzled as to why I could compile with no
problems last month and today I got errors relating to not finding
dlltool.exe . I don't recall ever installing mingw (perhaps
installing Strawberry Perl or Inline::C did it for me), but maybe the
mingw bin directory was in my path and somehow got removed recently.

Inline::C checksums your source
and skips the recompile if it's unchanged, so your old
script isn't getting recompiled at all. If you clear out
D:\tmp\_Inline you'll find the old script stops working
too (which is actually a step forward, even though it may
not seem like it).

Makes sense, as it would explain why there's multiple copies of
programs in the _Inline\lib\auto directory. This brings up the
question: If I modify the C code 20 times and run it after each
modification, will I have 20 cached programs in the _Inline
directory? Do the old cached programs ever go away, or do they
essentially stay around forever?

Anyway, thanks a million for your help, Ben.

-- Jean-Luc

sisyphus

On Jan 14, 5:41 pm, Ben Morrow <[email protected]> wrote:
 However, I
did a "find2perl" search on C:\ and eventually found dlltool.exe in C:
\Program Files\GCL-2.6.7-ANSI\mingw\mingw32\bin , so I copied it to C:
\strawberry\c\bin (the directory where gcc.exe resides).

It definitely should already have been there in C:/strawberry/c/bin.
At some stage (as Ben suggested) it must have been deleted.
This brings up the
question:  If I modify the C code 20 times and run it after each
modification, will I have 20 cached programs in the _Inline
directory?  Do the old cached programs ever go away, or do they
essentially stay around forever?

Yep - they stay there forever.
On Win32 I regularly run 'rmdir /s /q _Inline' to completely remove
the _Inline directory, and get rid of all of the old stuff.

Cheers,
Rob