programs?

BKaplan104

What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies? Any advice
would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

David Dorward

BKaplan104 said:
What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies?

Any syntax highlighting text editor will do a good job. I'm fond of emacs
and vim, people without a UNIX background would probably be better off with
something else.

Avoid anything that attempts to convert graphical input in to HTML (like
Dreamweaver), at least until you have a good understanding of the code it
is trying to write so you can spot when it gets it wrong.

Whitecrest

bkaplan104 said:
What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies? Any advice
would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Too many to list here, (And if brucie were here he would list links to
them all) What are you looking for? a WYSIWYG editor? Text editor?
Type ahead help? You need to be more verbose.

Jay

What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies?

I personally really like Microsoft FrontPage. I don't use it for the
graphical layout (because it screws up your markup) but I really like it for
color-coding my markup. There are other programs that will allow you to
write your HTML with color-coded tags and attributes, but my company already
purchased FrontPage before I came here so I use it. The only other thing
you'll need is a method to FTP your files to the server.

If you're an HTML newbie seeking a program to teach you HTML, don't waste
your money. Visit www.w3.org or www.w3schools.com and go through their
references and tutorials. Most questions you come up with can be answered at
www.google.com. The ones you can't find answers to using Google can probably
be answered here.

- J

rf

Jay said:
I personally really like Microsoft FrontPage. I don't use it for the
graphical layout (because it screws up your markup) but I really like it for
color-coding my markup. There are other programs that will allow you to
write your HTML with color-coded tags and attributes, but my company already
purchased FrontPage before I came here so I use it. The only other thing
you'll need is a method to FTP your files to the server.

For which frontpage does quite a good job. One of the few things it does to
well.

Cheers
Richard.

Sid Ismail

On 11 Nov 2003 20:46:20 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (BKaplan104) wrote:

: What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies? Any advice
: would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

None. If you're a newbie, start with a need to UNDERSTAND:

Start-up Tutorials:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/
http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk/web/html-start.html
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
http://www.draac.com/
downloadable: http://hakatai.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/download.html

Before asking a question, check a FAQ first:
FAQs:
http://www.html-faq.com/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php
http://www.alt-html.org/
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html

Reference:
www (all aspects):
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/webdesign.htm
HTML http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html
CSS http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
CSS articles: http://css.nu/pointers/

Sid

Derek Clarkson

As with writing program code, it is always agood idea to get a good
understanding of the code and what it does before getting to concerned with
the development environment. In other words, use a simple editor and learn
HTML first, before getting into more advanced editors.

If you jump straight into something like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, etc, it is
very easy to end up learning the editor and only the minimal HTML. The
result of this is that when things don't work (and they won't from time to
time!) you will have a much harder time working out what the problem is. In
addition, it will be much harder for you to transition to a different
environment if you need to.

So basically I would suggest starting with a simple text editor (notepad or
write on Win, KWrite, vi, etc on Linux) and working from that until you are
familiar with HTML.

cio
Derek.