    BKaplan104 Guest

    What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies? Any advice
    would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

    BKaplan104, Nov 11, 2003

  2. BKaplan104 wrote:

    > What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies?

    Any syntax highlighting text editor will do a good job. I'm fond of emacs
    and vim, people without a UNIX background would probably be better off with
    something else.

    Avoid anything that attempts to convert graphical input in to HTML (like
    Dreamweaver), at least until you have a good understanding of the code it
    is trying to write so you can spot when it gets it wrong.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Nov 11, 2003

  3. BKaplan104

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, bkaplan104
    @aol.com says...
    > What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies? Any advice
    > would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

    Too many to list here, (And if brucie were here he would list links to
    them all) What are you looking for? a WYSIWYG editor? Text editor?
    Type ahead help? You need to be more verbose.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 11, 2003
  4. BKaplan104

    Jay Guest

    "BKaplan104" <> wrote in message

    > What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies?

    I personally really like Microsoft FrontPage. I don't use it for the
    graphical layout (because it screws up your markup) but I really like it for
    color-coding my markup. There are other programs that will allow you to
    write your HTML with color-coded tags and attributes, but my company already
    purchased FrontPage before I came here so I use it. The only other thing
    you'll need is a method to FTP your files to the server.

    If you're an HTML newbie seeking a program to teach you HTML, don't waste
    your money. Visit www.w3.org or www.w3schools.com and go through their
    references and tutorials. Most questions you come up with can be answered at
    www.google.com. The ones you can't find answers to using Google can probably
    be answered here.

    - J

    Jay, Nov 11, 2003
  5. BKaplan104

    rf Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > "BKaplan104" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies?

    > I personally really like Microsoft FrontPage. I don't use it for the
    > graphical layout (because it screws up your markup) but I really like it

    for
    > color-coding my markup. There are other programs that will allow you to
    > write your HTML with color-coded tags and attributes, but my company

    already
    > purchased FrontPage before I came here so I use it. The only other thing
    > you'll need is a method to FTP your files to the server.

    For which frontpage does quite a good job. One of the few things it does to
    well.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 11, 2003
  6. BKaplan104

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On 11 Nov 2003 20:46:20 GMT, (BKaplan104) wrote:

    : What are the best programs to use, for absolute HTML newbies? Any advice
    : would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

    None. If you're a newbie, start with a need to UNDERSTAND:

    Start-up Tutorials:
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/
    http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk/web/html-start.html
    http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
    http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
    http://www.draac.com/
    downloadable: http://hakatai.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/download.html

    Before asking a question, check a FAQ first:
    FAQs:
    http://www.html-faq.com/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php
    http://www.alt-html.org/
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html

    Reference:
    www (all aspects):
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/webdesign.htm
    HTML http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/index.html
    CSS http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
    CSS articles: http://css.nu/pointers/

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 11, 2003
  7. As with writing program code, it is always agood idea to get a good
    understanding of the code and what it does before getting to concerned with
    the development environment. In other words, use a simple editor and learn
    HTML first, before getting into more advanced editors.

    If you jump straight into something like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, etc, it is
    very easy to end up learning the editor and only the minimal HTML. The
    result of this is that when things don't work (and they won't from time to
    time!) you will have a much harder time working out what the problem is. In
    addition, it will be much harder for you to transition to a different
    environment if you need to.

    So basically I would suggest starting with a simple text editor (notepad or
    write on Win, KWrite, vi, etc on Linux) and working from that until you are
    familiar with HTML.

    cio
    Derek.

    Derek Clarkson, Nov 12, 2003