    that.

    Thanks,
    Magnus Ullberg
    ullbergm, Nov 19, 2004

  2. ullbergm

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Magnus,

    When you say check the progress of an async web service, do you mean a fire
    and forget one-way call, or a call you initiate on the client side using a
    BeginXXMethod. I've heard people call both of thes "async" - but the
    meaning of Async changes.

    Without an interface on a service to check the progress of a prior request
    (as opposed to a request that is still ongoing), a fire and forget request
    - for example "send_me_goods_via_truck" to order some kind of e-commerce
    product, the caller has no way to ask the question. Thus, progress and
    status requests need to be designed into the service.

    In the case of the "call it in the background so my client code isn't
    frozen waiting for a long call to finish" - e.g. beginXXMethod approach,
    no, there is no way to check on the progress. The reason is that while
    there is an open connection between the proxy and service in this case, the
    proxy is in "read" mode, and the service has already dispatched the
    serialized data to the method. SOAP doesn't accommodate a status or
    progress data stream on this request - as each request gets at most a
    single on-connection response.

    If your requests of the second type are taking a long time, you are going
    to need to look into why the operations are taking a long time to process
    on the server side. Any processing delay of more than a few milliseconds
    may be a signal that the work-partitioning in the applicaiton design will
    become an issue as the number of concurrent requests is ramped up.

    Good luck to you

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------

    Dan Rogers, Nov 19, 2004

  3. ullbergm

    ullbergm Guest

    "Dan Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Magnus,
    >
    > In the case of the "call it in the background so my client code isn't
    > frozen waiting for a long call to finish" - e.g. beginXXMethod approach,
    > no, there is no way to check on the progress. The reason is that while
    > there is an open connection between the proxy and service in this case, the
    > proxy is in "read" mode, and the service has already dispatched the
    > serialized data to the method. SOAP doesn't accommodate a status or
    > progress data stream on this request - as each request gets at most a
    > single on-connection response.
    >
    > If your requests of the second type are taking a long time, you are going
    > to need to look into why the operations are taking a long time to process
    > on the server side. Any processing delay of more than a few milliseconds
    > may be a signal that the work-partitioning in the applicaiton design will
    > become an issue as the number of concurrent requests is ramped up.

    Yes, i'm using a BeginXXX call. That's what i thought, but i figured i'd ask
    in case there was something that i had missed.

    The timing is due to low bandwidth on the client end and transfering a lot
    of information.
    Since i can't reduce the size of the data i may just break it up into
    multiple small pieces so that i can give more feedback to the user.

    Thanks for the quick response.
    ullbergm, Nov 19, 2004