Progressive display of slowly generated pages

Andrew Gabriel

I have a recollection from some work I did several years back that
there's a way to ask a browser to progressively display text as it
is received, which is intended to be used when the text on a page
is being generated slowly, and you don't want the browser to wait
until it has it all before displaying any of it. I've been crawling
around the web looking at resources about HTTP headers and I can't
now find any reference to this. Can anyone remind me what the HTTP
header is, or other mechanism if it's not that?

Benjamin Niemann

Andrew said:
I have a recollection from some work I did several years back that
there's a way to ask a browser to progressively display text as it
is received, which is intended to be used when the text on a page
is being generated slowly, and you don't want the browser to wait
until it has it all before displaying any of it. I've been crawling
around the web looking at resources about HTTP headers and I can't
now find any reference to this. Can anyone remind me what the HTTP
header is, or other mechanism if it's not that?

That should be the default behaviour of any decent browser. What you could
do is to make sure that the document is actually *sent* progressively - no
output buffering of any kind, perhaps a stdout.flush() or whatever is the
equivalent in your environment.