progrm for converting integers to roman numerals using files in clanguage

Bartc

Coos Haak said:
Op Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:14:38 GMT schreef Bartc:

Slight? Everything from 4000 onwards had at least four M's in a row ;-)
Perhaps the Romans used a wide (high) character set, the A in ASCII surely
wasn't known then.

Apparently MMMM is an acceptable way of writing 4000. Without the proper
symbol for 5000 (Bar-V), these are inevitable in the range 4000 to 4999. But
MMMMM?

CBFalconer

Hans said:
John J. Smith said:
please help me out

Here you go...
the program for converting the integers to roman
numerals using files in the c language from 1-5000 range

Find below the portable C source code for a program that will
print all roman numerals from 0 to 5000. Changing the code so
it starts with 1 is left as an exercise.

[snips]
thank you all

You're welcome.

Here comes the code...

Does not compile with LCC-WIN32...

|Error ronum.c: 62 redefinition of 'ConstraintFailed'

Obviously lcc-win32 is not able to compile legitimate portable C
code. I suggest complaining to the vendor. Jacob Navia reads this
newsgroup.

Keith Thompson

CBFalconer said:
Obviously lcc-win32 is not able to compile legitimate portable C
code. I suggest complaining to the vendor. Jacob Navia reads this
newsgroup.

It appears (though I can't actually confirm this directly) that
lcc-win's library defines, in violation of the standard, a number of
identifiers that should be available to user programs.

The number of programs posted here recently that illustrate this kind
of problem is, shall we say, interesting. It's tempting to suspect
that some of the posters might be deliberately posting such examples
that they already know are mishandled by lcc-win.

Certainly lcc-win has some bugs (as does virtually all software), and
certainly such bugs should be reported, but comp.lang.c is not the
place for lcc-win bug reports. Post to comp.compilers.lcc or contact
jacob directly (or use whatever mechanism is suggested by lcc-win's
documentation).

If lcc-win rejects your program and you honestly don't know whether
the problem is in your program or in the implementation, then by all
means post here and we can help you with the language. But if (and I
emphasize *if*) your purpose is to publicize a bug rather than to
illuminate a C language issue, this isn't the place.

Bartc

CBFalconer said:
And you want to see ????

V with a bar over it (scale by 1000) for one example. I think there are
other schemes. MMMMM is just about acceptable (especially as funny symbols
are awkward to write and to display), but you can see that trying to write
say 50000 this way will be a little unwieldy.