Project Based python tutorials

Alvin Ghouas

Hi everyone!

First of all: Im new to this group and i dont know if there are any "rules" or jargon around her. If so; pleas fill me in.

So, I desided to start learning programming a few months ago and by now i feel pretty confident about the basics of the python language, and programming in general.
Variables,loops, conditionals, data structures, methods and even some object oriented programming, are all familiar consepts.

As i want to become a better programmer, i figured the next step would be to start working on some bigger and more complex projects.Yet despite my numerouse web searchs for project based tutorials,i cant seem to find any good ones.
I have no trouble with understanding the concepts of programming, however I find it quite difficult to take it to the next "level".

So, is there anyone out there willing to share some experience? I would be really grateful!

Greetings from Norway!

Andriy Kornatskyy

I would advise try answer the question: what is my goal?

Don't be surprised that not everyone become a programmer... many people fail and get back to market thinking it was waste of time.

Thanks.

Andriy Kornatskyy

alex23

Yet despite my numerouse web searchs for project based tutorials,i cant
seem to find any good ones.

Welcome to the python list.

Guides on writing large projects are definitely few and far between. I
can only think of a few, but they're all specifically for frameworks
like Plone, and even then are generally not describing overly complex
projects. I think this knowledge is something most programmers gain
through trial & error, and when you're working on a large project you
generally don't have the time to write a tutorial telling someone else
how to do the sort of thing you're doing.
So, is there anyone out there willing to share some experience?

I have a few recommendations:

1. Read the code of large open-source projects. This is where all the
real project-oriented experience is stored.

2. Find an open-source project you're interested in and start helping
out. Read their bug tracker and see if there's anything you think you
can fix. Become used to submitting patches and working with a team of
developers.

3. Find blogs by developers working on large projects. While not
tutorials as such, you'll learn a lot by reading about what problems
they hit and what they're currently focused on resolving.

Good luck in taking your coding to the next level!

Rick Johnson

First of all: Im new to this group and i dont know if
there are any "rules" or jargon around her. If so; pleas
fill me in.

The only rules are there are no rules. All we can hope is that everyone will "try" to play nicely. If you want to read some general rules you can liveby when participating in online groups then a good launch point would be here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_(technology)
So, I desided to start learning programming a few months
ago and by now i feel pretty confident about the basics of
the python language, and programming in general.
Variables, loops, conditionals, data structures, methods
and even some object oriented programming, are all
familiar consepts.

Congratulations on your accomplishment. However, what you describe would only be a good grasp of *very* basic and very *generic* aspects of programming in general. There is much MUCH more to learn before you start authoring aresume to Google or jump head first into a large scale open source project..
As i want to become a better programmer, i figured the
next step would be to start working on some bigger and
more complex projects.Yet despite my numerouse web searchs
for project based tutorials,i cant seem to find any good
ones.

Hold on just a minute!

Before you decide to start participating in outside projects may we have a list of some of the software you've written for yourself? (With all due respect) I very seriously doubt that someone with only a "few months" of programming experience is ready for the real world.
I have no trouble with understanding the concepts of
programming, however I find it quite difficult to take it
to the next "level". So, is there anyone out there willing
to share some experience? I would be really grateful.

Well how can we possibly know what "the next level" means to you when you failed to offer examples of your experience besides: "loops", "variables", "data structures", etc... Please provide a list of the types of programs youhave written. Have you written any system tool? What about GUI applications? What about every programmers wet dream: THE WORLDS BEST TEXT EDITOR! What about libraries? Details, details!

llanitedave

[...]

There's no teacher like trial and error. My main advice, as one who's not far beyond raw beginner myself, is to build your complex project in small increments. Think of the functionality you want to implement, and break it up into individual modules that focus on one aspect of it.

Functions can be simple and short, and always remember that the output of one function can be passed as input into another.

Global variables should be minimized as much as possible, but there are most likely going to be a few that you'll need anyway. So don't completely prohibit them from your thinking. Make sure you label them clearly.

llanitedave

Before you decide to start participating in outside projects may we have a list of some of the software you've written for yourself? (With all due respect) I very seriously doubt that someone with only a "few months" of programming experience is ready for the real world.

Nobody is ready for the real world when they start working on their first "real-world" application. If they develop their skills while developing their program, then with luck they'll be ready for the real world when they finish.