Project on the remote server

Leszek

Hi,

So far I have been creating projects on my local machine (localhost) without
any problems. Now I need to create a project on a remote server. When I try
to create a web application on the server, VS.NET returns an error message
about lack of required permissions. What permissions do I need to set up on
the remote server?

My server system: Win2000 Advanced Server with built-in IIS, .NET 1.1

Thanks in advance,
Leszek Taratuta

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Leszek,

Please tell me the detailed error message and the detailed reproducing
steps.

Basically the account should have the write permission of the
\Inetpub\wwwroot folder. A simple work around will be using the
Administrator account.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Leszek

When I try to create a new project on the remote server I receive the
following error:

"Web Access Failed"
"The default Web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the
project folder at 'http://webserver/myapplication' cannot be opened with the
path '\\webserver\wwwroot$\myapplication'. The error returned was:
Unable to create Web project 'myapplication'. The UNC share
'\\webserver\wwwroot$\myapplication' does not exist or you do not have
access."

I have temporarily resolved the problem by selecting the option "Try to open
the project with FrontPage Server Extensions" but I am not sure if this is
the right way to do this.

Thanks,
Leszek Taratuta

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Leszek,

Using FPSE is an optional work around for this issue. I have another
solution for your reference.

We can follow the following steps to create the project on the
virtual/remote Web site.

Once the virtual Web site is created,
1) Share the physical folder pointed by the virtual Web root.
2) Provide permissions to VS Developers Group to that folder and make sure
the user on the client is one of the members of this group on the server.
3) In an intranet situation, add the virtual web site name/address to hosts
file on both client and server machine.

From the client,
1) Open Visual Studio.NET.
2) Go to Tools/Options/Projects/Web Settings and on the right hand side
panel, select "Connection Settings" or you can also open IE and go to
Tools/Internet Options/Connections.
3) Click on LAN settings and if you are using proxy, then uncheck all the
options under "Automatic configuration" section. ("Automatically detect
settings" and "Use Automatic configuration Script")
4) Check both options in "Proxy Server" section ("Use Proxy server for your
LAN .." and "Bypass proxy server for local addresses") and provide the
details of the proxy server.
5) Click on the "Advanced" button in Proxy Server section and in the "Proxy
Server" dialog box, add the host header name to the list that says "Do not
use proxy server for addresses beginning with the following" and click Ok.
6) Start creating a new project in VS.NET
8) In the New Project dialog box, provide the location as
http://virtualWebsitename/projectname
9) When you get the Web Access Failed dialog box, provide the proper share
for the virtual web site that you are going to create project in. e.g.
\\<machinename>\sharenameforvirtualwebsite\projectname
10) Now the project should get created under the specified share on the web
server.