    windows). I guess I can do so manually in IIS, or extract the subdir to a new
    web project. But I am looking for a least effort approach.
    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Znc=?=, Oct 3, 2007

  2. re:
    !> Is there a way to config a asp.net app subdir's web.config so that the sub
    !> dir becomes a new IIS application in Visual Studio 2005? I need this because
    !> the authentication mode for the subdir is different from the parent (form vs windows).

    Open the IIS Manager and scroll to the subdirectory of your application.

    Right-click on the subdirectory, select Properties
    and then click on "Create" next to the "Application" Label.

    It will automatically create the "application" using the virtual directory's name.

    That should allow you to specify a different authentication mode in the subdirectory's web.config.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 3, 2007

  3. Re: promote asp.net app subdirectory to new application in web.con

    Two problems:
    1. I don't have IIS Manager. The web server is VS 2005 built in.
    2. I'm looking for a solution that can be configured solely in web.config
    without manual tweaking in IIS Manager.

    =?Utf-8?B?Znc=?=, Oct 3, 2007
  4. Re: promote asp.net app subdirectory to new application in web.con

    Can't do it. Besides, when you deploy your application into production it has
    to run under IIS anyway, right?
    -- Peter
    Recursion: see Recursion
    site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Oct 3, 2007
  5. Re: promote asp.net app subdirectory to new application in web.con

    re:
    !> I'm looking for a solution that can be configured solely in web.config
    !> without manual tweaking in IIS Manager.

    If you can't install IIS, or won't, you can install a web server like Cassiniv2,
    which allows you to specify applications.

    Direct link to the source files:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dmitryr/attachment/548131.ashx

    You also need the v2.0 version of GACUTIL which should
    be installed by default with VWD Express or VS 2005.

    Make sure you read the "ReadMe.txt" file included in the zipped source.

    I don't see why you can't, simply, install IIS, though.

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 3, 2007