promote asp.net app subdirectory to new application in web.config

Guest

Is there a way to config a asp.net app subdir's web.config so that the sub
dir becomes a new IIS application in Visual Studio 2005? I need this because
the authentication mode for the subdir is different from the parent (form vs
windows). I guess I can do so manually in IIS, or extract the subdir to a new
web project. But I am looking for a least effort approach.
Thanks

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Is there a way to config a asp.net app subdir's web.config so that the sub
!> dir becomes a new IIS application in Visual Studio 2005? I need this because
!> the authentication mode for the subdir is different from the parent (form vs windows).

Open the IIS Manager and scroll to the subdirectory of your application.

Right-click on the subdirectory, select Properties
and then click on "Create" next to the "Application" Label.

It will automatically create the "application" using the virtual directory's name.

That should allow you to specify a different authentication mode in the subdirectory's web.config.

Guest

Two problems:
1. I don't have IIS Manager. The web server is VS 2005 built in.
2. I'm looking for a solution that can be configured solely in web.config
without manual tweaking in IIS Manager.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I'm looking for a solution that can be configured solely in web.config
!> without manual tweaking in IIS Manager.

If you can't install IIS, or won't, you can install a web server like Cassiniv2,
which allows you to specify applications.

Direct link to the source files:
http://blogs.msdn.com/dmitryr/attachment/548131.ashx

You also need the v2.0 version of GACUTIL which should
be installed by default with VWD Express or VS 2005.

Make sure you read the "ReadMe.txt" file included in the zipped source.

I don't see why you can't, simply, install IIS, though.