  1. Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    and not "kar".

    Does the same hold true largely in the C world?
    Debajit Adhikary, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Debajit  Adhikary

    Lew Pitcher Guest

    Lew Pitcher, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Debajit  Adhikary

    Richard Bos Guest

    "Debajit Adhikary" <> wrote:

    > Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    > and not "kar".
    >
    > Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    Undoubtedly Stroustrup pronounces the full word "tcharatster", but I do
    not.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Debajit  Adhikary

    Alex Fraser Guest

    "Debajit Adhikary" <> wrote in message
    > Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    > and not "kar".
    >
    > Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    IME, native English speakers mostly say "tchar" (and all say "karakter").
    There's always one or two oddballs though ;).

    "Char" is an English word, spoken "tchar".

    Alex
    Alex Fraser, Jul 20, 2004
  5. In article <>, Alex Fraser <> wrote:
    >"Debajit Adhikary" <> wrote in message
    >> Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    >> and not "kar".
    >>
    >> Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    >IME, native English speakers mostly say "tchar" (and all say "karakter").
    >There's always one or two oddballs though ;).
    >
    >"Char" is an English word, spoken "tchar".

    I don't follow this. Where is the 't' coming from?

    I pronounce it "char", like in "char broiled steaks".
    Kenny McCormack, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Debajit  Adhikary

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <cdj2ni$> "Debajit Adhikary" <> writes:

    >Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    >and not "kar".
    >
    >Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    Read the FAQ. It deals even with such trivia!

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Debajit  Adhikary

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> "Alex Fraser" <> writes:

    >"Debajit Adhikary" <> wrote in message
    >> Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    >> and not "kar".
    >>
    >> Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    >IME, native English speakers mostly say "tchar" (and all say "karakter").
    >There's always one or two oddballs though ;).
    >
    >"Char" is an English word, spoken "tchar".

    But, unlike the C keyword "char", it is entirely unrelated to character
    types. In English, semantics often dictate pronunciation, as in
    "bass" (ichthyology) vs "bass" (music) or "read" (present tense) vs "read"
    (past tense).

    So, even for a native English speaker, I consider "tchar" as some kind
    of machismo. The ones I know used "kar" (in a C context, obviously).

    BTW, what about the French programmers? Are they faithful to their
    people's practice of pronouncing everything according to the French
    pronunciation rules and say "shar" or do they apply the "semantics
    dictate pronunciation" rule and say "kar" (from "caractère")?

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Jul 20, 2004
  8. Debajit  Adhikary

    Alex Fraser Guest

    wrote:
    > >"Debajit Adhikary" <> wrote in message
    > >> Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    > >> and not "kar".
    > >>
    > >> Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    > >IME, native English speakers mostly say "tchar" (and all say
    > >"karakter").
    > >There's always one or two oddballs though ;).
    > >
    > >"Char" is an English word, spoken "tchar".

    > I don't follow this. Where is the 't' coming from?

    Say "tuh shah". And again, but slightly faster. And again, faster still. And
    again, ...

    Alex
    Alex Fraser, Jul 20, 2004
  9. Debajit  Adhikary

    Alex Fraser Guest

    "Dan Pop" <> wrote in message
    > In <> "Alex Fraser" <> writes:
    > >"Char" is an English word, spoken "tchar".

    > But, unlike the C keyword "char", it is entirely unrelated to character
    > types.

    True.

    > In English, semantics often dictate pronunciation, as in
    > "bass" (ichthyology) vs "bass" (music) or "read" (present tense) vs
    > "read" (past tense).
    >
    > So, even for a native English speaker, I consider "tchar" as some kind
    > of machismo.

    I pity your insecurity if you think that is so ;).

    Seriously though, I can't say I ever gave it much thought; to me it's just a
    case of "I say tomahto, you say tomayto," I use what I first heard, and I
    couldn't care less how other people say it, as long as the meaning is clear.

    Alex
    Alex Fraser, Jul 20, 2004
  10. >Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    >and not "kar".
    >
    >Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    ANSI C does not require pronunciation at all. Any pronunciation is
    platform-specific and probably programmer-specific as well.

    Gordon L. Burditt
    Gordon Burditt, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Le mardi 20 juillet 2004 à 16:53, Dan Pop a écrit dans comp.lang.c :

    > BTW, what about the French programmers? Are they faithful to their
    > people's practice of pronouncing everything according to the French
    > pronunciation rules and say "shar" or do they apply the "semantics
    > dictate pronunciation" rule and say "kar" (from "caractère")?

    It depends. Some pronounce "shar", others pronounce "kar".

    Note that there is a French word spelled "char", pronounced "shar", and
    meaning "tank", in the military sense (i.e. the armoured vehicule).

    --
    ___________ 2004-07-20 18:09:15
    _/ _ \_`_`_`_) Serge PACCALIN -- sp ad mailclub.net
    Serge Paccalin, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Dan Pop a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :

    > BTW, what about the French programmers? Are they faithful to their
    > people's practice of pronouncing everything according to the French
    > pronunciation rules and say "shar"

    Like my coworkers, I say 'shar'.

    > or do they apply the "semantics
    > dictate pronunciation" rule and say "kar" (from "caractère")?

    Never heard 'kar' in France in this context.

    --

    Emmanuel
    Emmanuel Delahaye, Jul 20, 2004
  13. Serge Paccalin a écrit :

    > Note that there is a French word spelled "char", pronounced "shar", and
    > meaning "tank", in the military sense (i.e. the armoured vehicule).

    'char' It's also a car in French Canadian.

    --

    Emmanuel
    Emmanuel Delahaye, Jul 20, 2004
  14. Debajit  Adhikary

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <3haiwpy7491r.dlg@canttouchthis-127.0.0.1> Serge Paccalin <> writes:

    >Note that there is a French word spelled "char", pronounced "shar", and
    >meaning "tank", in the military sense (i.e. the armoured vehicule).

    I know, but it is as relevant as the English "char" word.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Debajit  Adhikary

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Emmanuel Delahaye <> writes:

    >'char' It's also a car in French Canadian.

    Since Canadian is not a language, I guess you're talking about Canadian
    French ;-)

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Jul 20, 2004
  16. "Debajit Adhikary" <> writes:
    > Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    > and not "kar".
    >
    > Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    Peter Seebach's excellent Infrequently Asked Questions list,
    <http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/faqs/c-iaq.html>, says:

    19.26: How do you pronounce ``char''?

    Like the first word of ``char *''. The accent is generally on the
    first syllable.

    Seriously, though, I don't think there's any real consensus on the
    issue.

    Keith Thompson, Jul 20, 2004
  17. In article <>, Alex Fraser <> wrote:
    >"Kenny McCormack" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Alex Fraser <>

    >wrote:
    >> >"Debajit Adhikary" <> wrote in message

    >> >IME, native English speakers mostly say "tchar" (and all say
    >> >"karakter").
    >> >There's always one or two oddballs though ;).
    >> >
    >> >"Char" is an English word, spoken "tchar".

    >> I don't follow this. Where is the 't' coming from?

    >Say "tuh shah". And again, but slightly faster. And again, faster still. And
    >again, ...
    >
    >Alex

    Still don't get it. Sounds like I'm dictating a letter to a former leader
    of Iran.
    Kenny McCormack, Jul 20, 2004
  18. Debajit  Adhikary

    Default User Guest

    Debajit Adhikary wrote:

    > Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    > and not "kar".
    >
    > Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    No no, it's pronounced "throat-warbler mangrove".

    Brian Rodenborn
    Default User, Jul 20, 2004
  19. Debajit  Adhikary

    kal Guest

    (Dan Pop) wrote in message news:<cdjajv$2de$>...

    > Read the FAQ. It deals even with such trivia!

    What do you know, it IS there!

    Question 20.39

    How do you pronounce ``char''?

    You can pronounce the C keyword ``char'' in at least
    three ways: like the English words ``char,'' ``care,''
    or ``car;'' the choice is arbitrary.

    Of course the correct pronunciation is "khar" just as
    the correct pronunciation of "caesar" is "kaisar".

    But the standard does not define pronunciations, so saying
    this aloud may result in undefined behaviour.
    kal, Jul 20, 2004
  20. Default User wrote:
    > Debajit Adhikary wrote:
    >
    >>Now I know (from Stroustrup's site) that "char" is pronounced "tchar"
    >>and not "kar".
    >>
    >>Does the same hold true largely in the C world?

    > No no, it's pronounced "throat-warbler mangrove".

    Then why isn't it spelt "Raymond Luxury Yacht"?
    Martin Ambuhl, Jul 20, 2004