Proper way to handle errors in a module

Andrew Berg

I'm a bit new to programming outside of shell scripts (and I'm no expert
there), so I was wondering what is considered the best way to handle
errors when writing a module. Do I just let exceptions go and raise
custom exceptions for errors that don't trigger a standard one? Have the
function/method return nothing or a default value and show an error
message? I'm sure there's not a clear-cut answer, but I was just
wondering what most developers would expect a module to do in certain
situations.

Roy Smith

Andrew Berg said:
I'm a bit new to programming outside of shell scripts (and I'm no expert
there), so I was wondering what is considered the best way to handle
errors when writing a module. Do I just let exceptions go and raise
custom exceptions for errors that don't trigger a standard one? Have the
function/method return nothing or a default value and show an error
message? I'm sure there's not a clear-cut answer, but I was just
wondering what most developers would expect a module to do in certain
situations.

In general, raise an exception when there is no valid value that can be
returned from a function. Sometimes it makes more sense to return 0,
None, an empty list, etc. So:

count_vowels("banana") ==> 3
count_vowels("xyzzy") ==> 0 # counting "y" as not a vowel
count_vowels("") ==> 0
count_vowels(None) ==> raises TypeError

You want to raise specific errors. Let's say you've got a function like
this:

def airspeed(swallow):
speeds = {"european": 42,
"african", 196}
return speeds[swallow]

If somebody passes an invalid string, it will raise KeyError as written.
Better to do something like:

def airspeed(swallow):
speeds = {"european": 42,
"african", 196}
try:
return speeds[swallow]
except KeyError:
raise UnknownBirdError(swallow)

This lets somebody catch UnknownBirdError at some higher level and do
something useful. If you let KeyError escape, that's a lot harder to
deal with because it could come from almost anywhere.

Andrew Berg

You want to raise specific errors. Let's say you've got a function like
this:

def airspeed(swallow):
speeds = {"european": 42,
"african", 196}
return speeds[swallow]

If somebody passes an invalid string, it will raise KeyError as written.
Better to do something like:

def airspeed(swallow):
speeds = {"european": 42,
"african", 196}
try:
return speeds[swallow]
except KeyError:
raise UnknownBirdError(swallow)
Is there any way to do this without purposely setting up the code to
trigger an arbitrary exception if the function can't do its job? That
is, can I raise an UnknownBirdError outside of an except clause, and if
so, how? I can't find much help for doing this in Python 3, even in the
official docs.

MRAB

[...]

You can raise an exception wherever you like! :)

Andrew Berg

You can raise an exception wherever you like! :)
If I raise an exception that isn't a built-in exception, I get something
like "NameError: name 'HelloError' is not defined". I don't know how to
define the exception.

Corey Richardson

Tycho Andersen

If I raise an exception that isn't a built-in exception, I get something
like "NameError: name 'HelloError' is not defined". I don't know how to
define the exception.

You'll have to define it, as you would anything else (exceptions are
just regular "things"; in fact you can raise anything that's a class
or instance). I typically don't put a whole lot in my exception
classes, though.

point:~/working$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Jun 8 2009, 11:11:42)
[GCC 4.3.2] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
__main__.HelloError: hello!

\t

MRAB

If I raise an exception that isn't a built-in exception, I get something
like "NameError: name 'HelloError' is not defined". I don't know how to
define the exception.

Define it as a subclass of Exception:

class UnknownBirdError(Exception):
pass

Ethan Furman

Andrew said:
If I raise an exception that isn't a built-in exception, I get something
like "NameError: name 'HelloError' is not defined". I don't know how to
define the exception.

class HelloError(Exception):
"custom exception"

and that's all you need. You can override __init__ to add your own
attributes, etc, if you need to.

~Ethan~

Steven D'Aprano

You'll have to define it, as you would anything else (exceptions are
just regular "things"; in fact you can raise anything that's a class or
instance).

Not quite.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: exceptions must be classes or instances, not int

Not a very good error message, because 42 is an instance!
True

In Python 3, you get a better error message, and further restrictions on
what you can raise:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: exceptions must derive from BaseException

In general, you should always subclass Exception rather than
BaseException. There are, er, exceptions, but for error-handling you
normally should inherit from Exception directly, or some sub-class like
ValueError, KeyError, etc.