    managing versions? Is there a document that describes best practices
    for handling this scenario?

    many thanks,

    B, Aug 13, 2008

  2. On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:53:30 -0700, B wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Does anyone know the proper way to install a Perl module on Linux that
    > loads several shared libraries? For standard libs that comes with Perl,
    > the .so files are in the ${PERL_HOME}/i386-linux-thread-multi/ auto
    > directory. Is this where my libs should go also? I do not want to depend
    > on LD_LIBRARY_PATH if at all possible. Also, what about managing
    > versions? Is there a document that describes best practices for handling
    > this scenario?
    >
    > many thanks,

    Module::Build or ExtUtils::MakeMaker can take care of all of that,
    there's no need to deal with that yourself.

    Regards,

    Leon
    Leon Timmermans, Aug 13, 2008

  3. B

    Ben Bullock Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:53:30 -0700, B wrote:

    > Does anyone know the proper way to install a Perl module on Linux that
    > loads several shared libraries? For standard libs that comes with
    > Perl, the .so files are in the ${PERL_HOME}/i386-linux-thread-multi/
    > auto directory. Is this where my libs should go also? I do not want to
    > depend on LD_LIBRARY_PATH if at all possible. Also, what about
    > managing versions? Is there a document that describes best practices
    > for handling this scenario?

    There are a lot of documents describing best practices in Perl, and
    usually they disagree with each other. I'm not clear if you're a module
    author or someone trying to install modules. If you're a module author,
    then I recommend trying "Module::Starter" and "Module::Install" and
    rooting around CPAN's documentation. If you're someone trying to install
    modules, the best advice is to use cpan (a command line program which
    comes with Perl) or ppm (comes with ActiveState Perl) if you are on
    Windows.
    Ben Bullock, Sep 1, 2008