Properties Files & Different Locations

Jason Cavett

I'm working on an application that, while generic (with respect to the
problem its solving), requires different terminology depending on what
field its being used in. So, I want to provide the ability to skin
the application through a properties file. I currently provide a way
for the user to select a skin (which I hope to have in a ZIP file -
but I haven't determined that yet). I have not yet finished the
skinning feature because of my follow up question...

Using a ResourceBundle, how do I load up that resource so it uses the
skin the user has selected (assume it can be anywhere on the disk).
I've seen something like this when I externalize Strings in Eclipse,
but the messages.properties file is located within Eclipse.

private static final String BUNDLE_NAME =
"com.company.filehandler.messages";
private static final ResourceBundle RESOURCE_BUNDLE =
ResourceBundle .getBundle(BUNDLE_NAME);

I'm unsure of how to pass in the "messages.properties" file that a
user may want from their skin. (It gets even more confusing when I
want to skin the icons as well.)

Thanks for any help or direction.