    cons about setting the primary key field to automatic increase?

    Thanks,

    Benny

    Benny, Mar 1, 2004

  2. I'm sure volumes have been written about this but my advice is that its
    simple to implement, understand and maintain hence works (for 99.99999% of
    web applications anyway). Aside from the whole single key vs composite key
    argument the only time I understand that you can run into trouble is when
    the uniqueness of the record needs to be maintained across databases. I've
    never encountered this requirement personally so maybe someone else who has
    could respond but in this case I would try storing a GUID in the record
    aside from the primary key.

    Paul Wistrand, Mar 1, 2004