Pros and Cons about automatic increase in MS SQL 2000

Benny

Hello experts,

Currently I am writing a database web application using viusal studio
.net with C#.

Just wondering when come to the database design, what are the pros and
cons about setting the primary key field to automatic increase?

Thanks,

Benny

Paul Wistrand

I'm sure volumes have been written about this but my advice is that its
simple to implement, understand and maintain hence works (for 99.99999% of
web applications anyway). Aside from the whole single key vs composite key
argument the only time I understand that you can run into trouble is when
the uniqueness of the record needs to be maintained across databases. I've
never encountered this requirement personally so maybe someone else who has
could respond but in this case I would try storing a GUID in the record
aside from the primary key.