Protected resourcs iva HTML

OccasionalFlyer

I am the volunteer person who maintains a web stie that is written in
ASP.NET. That introduces lots of complexity. I didn't write it and
so far, my knowledge of ASP.NET is somewhat limited. I want to
convert the site to something else but I have two requirements and I'm
interested in suggestions for handling these. This is not precisely
an HTML question but I'm thinking there are likely to be members of
this group who have deal with this.
1. Add data to, search, and retrieve data from a database
2. Protect resources, e.g, access to the stored membership data.

Were it me alone, I'd rewrite the site in Java but I want it to be
simpler than that. Thanks.

Ken

richard

I am the volunteer person who maintains a web stie that is written in
ASP.NET. That introduces lots of complexity. I didn't write it and
so far, my knowledge of ASP.NET is somewhat limited. I want to
convert the site to something else but I have two requirements and I'm
interested in suggestions for handling these. This is not precisely
an HTML question but I'm thinking there are likely to be members of
this group who have deal with this.
1. Add data to, search, and retrieve data from a database
2. Protect resources, e.g, access to the stored membership data.

Were it me alone, I'd rewrite the site in Java but I want it to be
simpler than that. Thanks.

Ken

Learn php and mysql. Problem solved.
Java is an application. Javascript is client side and should not be used
for such an endeavor.

Captain Paralytic

Java is an application.

A wise man once said "It is better to keep silent and be thought a
fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

You just can't help advertising your ignorance, can you?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
The OP did not mention jsp. He clearly stated "java".

You'll never catch on. You said JavaScript is a client-side language.
"what+is+jsp" was to inform your sorry ass that JavaScript is *also* a
server-side language.
JSP is quite different from the application generating program of
Java.

Java is not an "application generating program." You need to take the
wise man's advice.

richard

You'll never catch on. You said JavaScript is a client-side language.
"what+is+jsp" was to inform your sorry ass that JavaScript is *also* a
server-side language.

Java is not an "application generating program." You need to take the
wise man's advice.

Still, the OP stated he would prefer using "JAVA" which has no relation to
either jsp, or js.
Java is more akin to flash. Where the user must have a plugin in order to
access the information.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
Still, the OP stated he would prefer using "JAVA"

Yes, he did say "Java" then you said it is an "application generating
program." It isn't.
which has no relation to either jsp, or js.

You've just learned that, correct?
Java is more akin to flash. Where the user must have a plugin in order
to access the information.

You wrote that like you think I don't know what it is.

richard

Yes, he did say "Java" then you said it is an "application generating
program." It isn't.

You've just learned that, correct?

You wrote that like you think I don't know what it is.

Then why are you insisting that jsp and js are the same thing?
java and js are client side.
jsp is server side.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
Beauregard said:
richard said:
[snippage]
which has no relation to either jsp, or js.

You've just learned that, correct?

You wrote that like you think I don't know what it is.

Then why are you insisting that jsp and js are the same thing?
java and js are client side.
jsp is server side.

I insisted no such thing. You haven't taken the advice of the wise man
yet. Better get started on that one.

Brian Cryer

OccasionalFlyer said:
I am the volunteer person who maintains a web stie that is written in
ASP.NET. That introduces lots of complexity. I didn't write it and
so far, my knowledge of ASP.NET is somewhat limited. I want to
convert the site to something else but I have two requirements and I'm
interested in suggestions for handling these. This is not precisely
an HTML question but I'm thinking there are likely to be members of
this group who have deal with this.
1. Add data to, search, and retrieve data from a database
2. Protect resources, e.g, access to the stored membership data.

Were it me alone, I'd rewrite the site in Java but I want it to be
simpler than that. Thanks.

The site isn't written in ASP.NET its most likely C# or perhaps VB.NET, both
of which use the ASP.NET framework. Your best approach is to learn C# or
VB.NET (as appropriate). Its less portable than Java as it commits you to
hosting on a Windows platform, but is otherwise at least on a par with Java.

That said, if you already know Java and how to do everything you want in
Java then I appreciate that you won't want to switch to C#/VB.Net. However
I'd be surprised if it takes much to convert your skill set across from Java
to C# (to VB.Net would be much more of a transition). In any event, if you
know how to do it in Java then there will be an equivalent in C#/VB.Net.

Given that you are a volunteer I'd consider which approach (rewrite in Java
or lean C#/VB.Net) is likely to (i.) take less time, and (ii.) look better
on your CV. Only you can make the call on the first, but on the second
adding C# (or VB .Net) to your CV would be considered by most to
advantageous.

If you do decide to go the C#/VB.Net route then I may be able to give you
advice on specific questions - but that's probably best done off-line (you
should be able to find an email address for me by following the url in my
sig).

Hope this helps.

Kamron Bennett

Yes, he did say "Java" then you said it is an "application generating
program." It isn't.

You've just learned that, correct?

You wrote that like you think I don't know what it is.

Guys, guys, GUYS! Can't we all just get along? let's help each other,
stop trying to prove how well you know something and just answer the
questions with good effective suggestions. That SHOWS as opposed to
proves that you know something.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Kamron said:
Guys, guys, GUYS! Can't we all just get along? let's help each other,
stop trying to prove how well you know something and just answer the
questions with good effective suggestions. That SHOWS as opposed to
proves that you know something.

You must be new here.

This is "richard" under discussion. His well-known, longtime nickname
is Richard the St00pid, and if you are near a Google search bar, you'll
soon see why he is a special case.

[About 90,600,000 results (0.18 seconds)] <lol>