Protected resourcs iva HTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by OccasionalFlyer, Feb 7, 2011.

  1. I am the volunteer person who maintains a web stie that is written in
    ASP.NET. That introduces lots of complexity. I didn't write it and
    so far, my knowledge of ASP.NET is somewhat limited. I want to
    convert the site to something else but I have two requirements and I'm
    interested in suggestions for handling these. This is not precisely
    an HTML question but I'm thinking there are likely to be members of
    this group who have deal with this.
    1. Add data to, search, and retrieve data from a database
    2. Protect resources, e.g, access to the stored membership data.

    Were it me alone, I'd rewrite the site in Java but I want it to be
    simpler than that. Thanks.

    Ken
    OccasionalFlyer, Feb 7, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Feb 7, 7:11 pm, OccasionalFlyer <> wrote:
    > This is not precisely
    > an HTML question


    It is not any question at all. You haven't asked one! What do you want
    to know?
    Captain Paralytic, Feb 7, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. OccasionalFlyer

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 11:11:28 -0800 (PST), OccasionalFlyer wrote:

    > I am the volunteer person who maintains a web stie that is written in
    > ASP.NET. That introduces lots of complexity. I didn't write it and
    > so far, my knowledge of ASP.NET is somewhat limited. I want to
    > convert the site to something else but I have two requirements and I'm
    > interested in suggestions for handling these. This is not precisely
    > an HTML question but I'm thinking there are likely to be members of
    > this group who have deal with this.
    > 1. Add data to, search, and retrieve data from a database
    > 2. Protect resources, e.g, access to the stored membership data.
    >
    > Were it me alone, I'd rewrite the site in Java but I want it to be
    > simpler than that. Thanks.
    >
    > Ken


    Learn php and mysql. Problem solved.
    Java is an application. Javascript is client side and should not be used
    for such an endeavor.
    richard, Feb 7, 2011
    #3
  4. On Feb 7, 10:09 pm, richard <> wrote:

    > Java is an application.


    A wise man once said "It is better to keep silent and be thought a
    fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

    You just can't help advertising your ignorance, can you?
    Captain Paralytic, Feb 7, 2011
    #4
  5. Captain Paralytic wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 10:09 pm, richard<> wrote:
    >
    >> Java is an application.

    >
    > A wise man once said "It is better to keep silent and be thought a
    > fool than to speak and remove all doubt."


    A very astute A. Lincoln.
    >
    > You just can't help advertising your ignorance, can you?


    to richard: http://lmgtfy.com?q=what is jsp


    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 8, 2011
    #5
  6. OccasionalFlyer

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 19:47:36 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Captain Paralytic wrote:
    >> On Feb 7, 10:09 pm, richard<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Java is an application.

    >>
    >> A wise man once said "It is better to keep silent and be thought a
    >> fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

    >
    > A very astute A. Lincoln.
    >>
    >> You just can't help advertising your ignorance, can you?

    >
    > to richard: http://lmgtfy.com?q=what is jsp


    The OP did not mention jsp. He clearly stated "java".
    JSP is quite different from the application generating program of Java.
    richard, Feb 8, 2011
    #6
  7. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Captain Paralytic wrote:
    >>> richard<> wrote:
    >>>> Java is an application.
    >>>
    >>> A wise man once said "It is better to keep silent and be thought a
    >>> fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

    >>
    >> A very astute A. Lincoln.
    >>>
    >>> You just can't help advertising your ignorance, can you?

    >>
    >> to richard: http://lmgtfy.com?q=what is jsp

    >
    > The OP did not mention jsp. He clearly stated "java".


    You'll never catch on. You said JavaScript is a client-side language.
    "what+is+jsp" was to inform your sorry ass that JavaScript is *also* a
    server-side language.

    > JSP is quite different from the application generating program of
    > Java.


    Java is not an "application generating program." You need to take the
    wise man's advice.

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 8, 2011
    #7
  8. OccasionalFlyer

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 22:25:39 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>> Captain Paralytic wrote:
    >>>> richard<> wrote:
    >>>>> Java is an application.
    >>>>
    >>>> A wise man once said "It is better to keep silent and be thought a
    >>>> fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
    >>>
    >>> A very astute A. Lincoln.
    >>>>
    >>>> You just can't help advertising your ignorance, can you?
    >>>
    >>> to richard: http://lmgtfy.com?q=what is jsp

    >>
    >> The OP did not mention jsp. He clearly stated "java".

    >
    > You'll never catch on. You said JavaScript is a client-side language.
    > "what+is+jsp" was to inform your sorry ass that JavaScript is *also* a
    > server-side language.
    >
    >> JSP is quite different from the application generating program of
    >> Java.

    >
    > Java is not an "application generating program." You need to take the
    > wise man's advice.


    Still, the OP stated he would prefer using "JAVA" which has no relation to
    either jsp, or js.
    Java is more akin to flash. Where the user must have a plugin in order to
    access the information.
    richard, Feb 8, 2011
    #8
  9. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>>> to richard: http://lmgtfy.com?q=what is jsp
    >>>
    >>> The OP did not mention jsp. He clearly stated "java".

    >>
    >> You'll never catch on. You said JavaScript is a client-side
    >> language. "what+is+jsp" was to inform your sorry ass that JavaScript
    >> is *also* a server-side language.
    >>
    >>> JSP is quite different from the application generating program of
    >>> Java.

    >>
    >> Java is not an "application generating program." You need to take
    >> the wise man's advice.

    >
    > Still, the OP stated he would prefer using "JAVA"


    Yes, he did say "Java" then you said it is an "application generating
    program." It isn't.

    > which has no relation to either jsp, or js.


    You've just learned that, correct?

    > Java is more akin to flash. Where the user must have a plugin in order
    > to access the information.


    You wrote that like you think I don't know what it is.

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 8, 2011
    #9
  10. OccasionalFlyer

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 23:42:55 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >>>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>>>> to richard: http://lmgtfy.com?q=what is jsp
    >>>>
    >>>> The OP did not mention jsp. He clearly stated "java".
    >>>
    >>> You'll never catch on. You said JavaScript is a client-side
    >>> language. "what+is+jsp" was to inform your sorry ass that JavaScript
    >>> is *also* a server-side language.
    >>>
    >>>> JSP is quite different from the application generating program of
    >>>> Java.
    >>>
    >>> Java is not an "application generating program." You need to take
    >>> the wise man's advice.

    >>
    >> Still, the OP stated he would prefer using "JAVA"

    >
    > Yes, he did say "Java" then you said it is an "application generating
    > program." It isn't.
    >
    >> which has no relation to either jsp, or js.

    >
    > You've just learned that, correct?
    >
    >> Java is more akin to flash. Where the user must have a plugin in order
    >> to access the information.

    >
    > You wrote that like you think I don't know what it is.


    Then why are you insisting that jsp and js are the same thing?
    java and js are client side.
    jsp is server side.
    richard, Feb 8, 2011
    #10
  11. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >>> [snippage]
    >>> which has no relation to either jsp, or js.

    >>
    >> You've just learned that, correct?
    >>
    >> You wrote that like you think I don't know what it is.

    >
    > Then why are you insisting that jsp and js are the same thing?
    > java and js are client side.
    > jsp is server side.


    I insisted no such thing. You haven't taken the advice of the wise man
    yet. Better get started on that one.

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 8, 2011
    #11
  12. OccasionalFlyer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "OccasionalFlyer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am the volunteer person who maintains a web stie that is written in
    > ASP.NET. That introduces lots of complexity. I didn't write it and
    > so far, my knowledge of ASP.NET is somewhat limited. I want to
    > convert the site to something else but I have two requirements and I'm
    > interested in suggestions for handling these. This is not precisely
    > an HTML question but I'm thinking there are likely to be members of
    > this group who have deal with this.
    > 1. Add data to, search, and retrieve data from a database
    > 2. Protect resources, e.g, access to the stored membership data.
    >
    > Were it me alone, I'd rewrite the site in Java but I want it to be
    > simpler than that. Thanks.


    The site isn't written in ASP.NET its most likely C# or perhaps VB.NET, both
    of which use the ASP.NET framework. Your best approach is to learn C# or
    VB.NET (as appropriate). Its less portable than Java as it commits you to
    hosting on a Windows platform, but is otherwise at least on a par with Java.

    That said, if you already know Java and how to do everything you want in
    Java then I appreciate that you won't want to switch to C#/VB.Net. However
    I'd be surprised if it takes much to convert your skill set across from Java
    to C# (to VB.Net would be much more of a transition). In any event, if you
    know how to do it in Java then there will be an equivalent in C#/VB.Net.

    Given that you are a volunteer I'd consider which approach (rewrite in Java
    or lean C#/VB.Net) is likely to (i.) take less time, and (ii.) look better
    on your CV. Only you can make the call on the first, but on the second
    adding C# (or VB .Net) to your CV would be considered by most to
    advantageous.

    If you do decide to go the C#/VB.Net route then I may be able to give you
    advice on specific questions - but that's probably best done off-line (you
    should be able to find an email address for me by following the url in my
    sig).

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Feb 9, 2011
    #12
  13. On 02/07/2011 11:42 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >>>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>>>> to richard: http://lmgtfy.com?q=what is jsp
    >>>>
    >>>> The OP did not mention jsp. He clearly stated "java".
    >>>
    >>> You'll never catch on. You said JavaScript is a client-side
    >>> language. "what+is+jsp" was to inform your sorry ass that JavaScript
    >>> is *also* a server-side language.
    >>>
    >>>> JSP is quite different from the application generating program of
    >>>> Java.
    >>>
    >>> Java is not an "application generating program." You need to take
    >>> the wise man's advice.

    >>
    >> Still, the OP stated he would prefer using "JAVA"

    >
    > Yes, he did say "Java" then you said it is an "application generating
    > program." It isn't.
    >
    >> which has no relation to either jsp, or js.

    >
    > You've just learned that, correct?
    >
    >> Java is more akin to flash. Where the user must have a plugin in order
    >> to access the information.

    >
    > You wrote that like you think I don't know what it is.
    >


    Guys, guys, GUYS! Can't we all just get along? let's help each other,
    stop trying to prove how well you know something and just answer the
    questions with good effective suggestions. That SHOWS as opposed to
    proves that you know something.
    Kamron Bennett, Feb 16, 2011
    #13
  14. Kamron Bennett wrote:

    > Guys, guys, GUYS! Can't we all just get along? let's help each other,
    > stop trying to prove how well you know something and just answer the
    > questions with good effective suggestions. That SHOWS as opposed to
    > proves that you know something.


    You must be new here.

    This is "richard" under discussion. His well-known, longtime nickname
    is Richard the St00pid, and if you are near a Google search bar, you'll
    soon see why he is a special case.

    [About 90,600,000 results (0.18 seconds)] <lol>

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 16, 2011
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andreas Klemt
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    557
    Andreas Klemt
    Jul 5, 2003
  2. Stephen Miller
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    9,134
    kaverao
    Sep 17, 2009
  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    HTML and CSS validation of password protected pages

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 3, 2006, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    92
    Views:
    2,496
    Neredbojias
    Jan 13, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bmljaw==?=

    Password protected html files

    =?Utf-8?B?bmljaw==?=, Jun 17, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    552
    vMike
    Jun 18, 2006
  5. GZ
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    131
    Terry Reedy
    Nov 21, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page