Protecting Documents

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Lekeas GK, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Lekeas GK

    Lekeas GK Guest

    Dear All,

    I am having the following problem: I want to display a pdf document in my
    page, but I do not want users to be able to save it on their drive. I know
    I can disable mouse right-clicks and set security settings so that it is
    not possible to extract text or print the file.

    However, what if the user places the cursor over the link and views the
    file full URL? Would he then be able to download it? Also, it looks like
    Save As.. works while Save does not; any reason for that?

    Is there any way I can get the browser only to display the document but no
    go further than that?

    Thanks in advance.

    George

    Lekeas GK, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Lekeas GK wrote:
    > I am having the following problem: I want to display a pdf document in my
    > page, but I do not want users to be able to save it on their drive. I know
    > I can disable mouse right-clicks and set security settings so that it is
    > not possible to extract text or print the file.

    The saying "You can fool some of the people some of the time but you
    can't fool all of the people all of the time." Comes to mind. What you
    are attempting is impossible. You might stop some people with this
    trick or that, but you can not stop everyone.

    Why do you want to stop them from printing or saving it? Are they not
    allowed to comeback as often as they like to see it again and again?
    What is the difference?
    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Lekeas GK

    Martin! Guest

    Lekeas GK wrote:

    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am having the following problem: I want to display a pdf document in my
    > page, but I do not want users to be able to save it on their drive.

    this question is bound to raise lots of flaming

    I know
    > I can disable mouse right-clicks and set security settings so that it is
    > not possible to extract text or print the file.

    this can be disabled by the client

    > However, what if the user places the cursor over the link and views the
    > file full URL? Would he then be able to download it? Also, it looks like
    > Save As.. works while Save does not; any reason for that?

    hopelessly naive

    > Is there any way I can get the browser only to display the document but no
    > go further than that?

    no

    > I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    i dont think so

    > Thanks in advance.

    brr .. i hope you loose some of the naive and gain a little knowledge
    before you drop your next question

    > George

    gl
    martin

    Martin!, Apr 10, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am having the following problem: I want to display a pdf document in my
    > page, but I do not want users to be able to save it on their drive. I know
    > I can disable mouse right-clicks and set security settings so that it is
    > not possible to extract text or print the file.
    >
    > However, what if the user places the cursor over the link and views the
    > file full URL? Would he then be able to download it? Also, it looks like
    > Save As.. works while Save does not; any reason for that?
    >
    > Is there any way I can get the browser only to display the document but no
    > go further than that?

    Nope.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Lekeas GK

    Fat Sam Guest

    Lekeas GK wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am having the following problem: I want to display a pdf document in my
    > page, but I do not want users to be able to save it on their drive. I know
    > I can disable mouse right-clicks and set security settings so that it is
    > not possible to extract text or print the file.
    >
    > However, what if the user places the cursor over the link and views the
    > file full URL? Would he then be able to download it? Also, it looks like
    > Save As.. works while Save does not; any reason for that?
    >
    > Is there any way I can get the browser only to display the document but no
    > go further than that?

    For something to display on the users computer, it has to have already
    been downloaded....
    So to summarise, you're defeated before you've even started....

    --
    www.fixaphoto.co.uk
    for photographic restorations

    Fat Sam, Apr 11, 2005
  6. Lekeas GK

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Lekeas GK <>
    writing in news:p:

    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am having the following problem: I want to display a pdf document in
    > my page, but I do not want users to be able to save it on their drive.
    > I know I can disable mouse right-clicks and set security settings so
    > that it is not possible to extract text or print the file.
    >
    > However, what if the user places the cursor over the link and views the
    > file full URL? Would he then be able to download it? Also, it looks
    > like Save As.. works while Save does not; any reason for that?
    >
    > Is there any way I can get the browser only to display the document but
    > no go further than that?
    >
    > I look forward to hearing from you soon.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > George

    There is nothing you can do about people saving or downloading the PDF
    document. However, you *can* protect the PDF document itself from
    printing, editing, and copying. This requires Acrobat 5.0 or later, and
    some programs may not honor your settings, but it should be okay for the
    casual user. This also requires Adobe Acrobat Professional.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Apr 14, 2005