Protecting my page from a block of untrusted HTML

Mark Stokes

Hi there,

I am currently writing a webmail client in asp.net with C#.

I currently support HTML email bodies, but badly formed HTML can cause
problems with the rest of my page.

Of course, I have no control over the content of the HTML email body,
so I have to assume that it may contain the worse, while protecting my
users as much as possible, without limiting them to text only emails!

What I would like to do is to be able to do is protect the two
sections from each other, so that there is no interaction. That way,
any dodgy code in the HTML email body cannot screw up the layout of
the containing page...

I also need to think about the security implications, such as
cross-site scripting issues, and anything that I should limit.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Mark