    from Software Piracy. Are there some alternatives to do that?

    Thanks a lot

    LucasC

    Lucas, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Lucas

    Jerry Boone Guest

    I kind of like InstallShield Express - it's cheap and gets the job done. It
    creates a "One click" install that you can put on the web and then control
    the password on your own. It creates IIS virtual directories and
    everything. However, that doesn't stop one user from distributing the
    password, but it's better than nothing. You may be able to do something
    more advanced with the scripting that accompanies it.

    You could also build a web service on your end and let your deployed
    application "call home" periodically. This would be especially great for a
    subscription based model. I like this best because if you notice two
    different server IP's requesting the same license code (assuming static ip's
    here), then you can contact the original purchaser, give them a new code,
    and wack the old one, thus killing the pirate. There is a possibility that
    they could deploy multiple instances behind a firewall, but for that you
    could maybe get the servers mac address... or something that identifies it.
    If you are providing a EULA you should put something in about that...

    :)

    --
    Jerry Boone
    Analytical Technologies, Inc.

    Jerry Boone, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Lucas

    Lucas Guest

    Thanks a lot. What about Hardware Keys?

    Lucas, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Lucas

    Jerry Boone Guest

    Sure - I think Sentinel is the best...

    http://www.rainbow.com/

    Jerry Boone, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Lucas

    Lucas Guest

    Thanks a lot

    Lucas, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Lucas

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Lucas,

    Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup Service. As for your problem:
    "Protecting Software from Piracy", I quite agree to Jerry Boone's
    suggestions. Especially using "webservice" to provide a constantly
    checking. It'll make full use of the advangages of the webservice in your
    ASP.NET web app.

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    MSFT, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Lucas

    Lucas Guest

    Yes, Jerry's suggestions are very good. The problem I see is due to possible
    installation on a Production Server without External access. I think it
    won't be easy to get Internet access from a Production Server with a high
    level of security.
    What do you think?

    Thanks a lot Jerry and schang.

    Lucas, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Lucas

    Jerry Boone Guest

    First, it's nice to answer questions to those that appreciate it.

    I doubt you will have any problem getting access on production servers. I
    think every admin on earth deploying Microsoft solutions ensures that they
    can update servers with Windows Update and AntiVirus. You could put a flag
    in a reg key or a settings file, read it, then determine if this server
    should bypasses doing the webservice query.

    Jerry Boone, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Hi Lucas,

    Thanks for your response. As for the security you mentioned on the internet
    access to a production server, yes, "security" is always a solid problem
    with the internet based web application. So in ASP.NET, we provided a
    complete web security architecure for both intranet based or extralnet
    based application. Include the IIS server level's authenitcation and the
    ASP.NET applciation level's authentication and athorization... As for the
    webservice, you can applied some of the security model on it. Also, other
    security techs such as SSL, IPSec also can provide the data infomration
    between the client and serverside secured.
    For more information on building secure web application, you can reference
    the tech articles on the MSDN site, here is the weblink for it:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconaspnetwebapplicati
    onsecurity.asp?frame=true

    If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

    Merry Christmas!!

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Dec 24, 2003
  10. Lucas

    Lucas Guest

    OK. Steven, but we where talking about Protecting Software from Piracy.

    Lucas, Dec 26, 2003