Protecting unauthenticated users from downloading .swf files

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Klaus Jensen, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. Klaus Jensen

    Klaus Jensen Guest

    Hi

    I have in the past had succes with protecting pdf-files from download by
    unauthenticated users by adding an application extension in IIS and mapping
    pdf.files to be served by the aspnet-process.

    I am currently faced with the same challenge - just for swf-files (shockwave
    flash). I need only authenticated users to be able to access them.

    However - when I make aspnet_isapi.dll handle swf-files, they are not shown
    in the browser.

    I have no idea why this is happening.

    The site runs on a 2003-server and I use Asp.net 2.0, and the site otherwise
    runs just fine.

    Thanks in advance

    Klaus
    Klaus Jensen, Jun 18, 2008

  2. Here I've documented several techniques for ensuring files are only uploaded
    and downloaded by authorized persons:

    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/File-Denial.aspx
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/EasyUploads.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jun 19, 2008