Protecting Website Contents

Doug Miller

I swear Evan, you are one ignorant cuss.
Try reading the copyright law. Then report back and state what it says on
copyrighting the US flag, or any other flag for that matter.
NO ONE has the right to copyright the flag, period.

My, you *are* determined to make that nickname stick, aren't you?

Nobody is talking about copyrighting the *flag*. The discussion is over a
particular *image of* the flag. And yes, that image *is* eligible for
copyright protection.

Doug Miller

Now, *you* could do that! Nobody else will ever want to call themselves
"Richard the Sto0pid" so you'd never have to worry about infringement.

No, I don't think he can. That would have to be a trademark.

Doug Miller

In regards to works authored in the various scripts, YOU can not claim
copyright on the coding itself, because YOU did not write the original
code. Whereas you can charge for the time involved in writing the script,
you can not legally copyright the work.

Wrong. Code written in any language is copyrightable.
[...]
As I said, when it comes to coding, if you wrote it today, ten thousand
have already written it so you can't legally claim copyright.

That simply isn't true. Here, educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_copyright

I was not speaking of programming languages used for software development.
In the case of MS and windows, they are not necessarily claiming a
copyright on the program itself, but rather, the granting of a "license" to
the user.

Guess again. Microsoft very much does claim a copyright on the program itself.
I do believe though that the creators of HTML, Javascript, PHP and many
other markup languages are among the living. So they still legally own the
copyright to the code. +

That doesn't have anything at all to do with copyright protection of works
that are developed *using* those codes.

Doug Miller

In regards to works authored in the various scripts, YOU can not claim
copyright on the coding itself, because YOU did not write the original
code. Whereas you can charge for the time involved in writing the script,
you can not legally copyright the work.

Wrong. Code written in any language is copyrightable.
[...]
As I said, when it comes to coding, if you wrote it today, ten thousand
have already written it so you can't legally claim copyright.

That simply isn't true. Here, educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_copyright

I was not speaking of programming languages used for software development.

Yes, you were. Just read the part of *your own* post that I responded to, that
*you quoted* above:

dorayme

When you make statements like the wildly incorrect and uninformed ones that
you've made in this thread regarding copyright protection, you certainly
reinforce the idea that your nickname does, in fact, mean exactly what it
says, and is entirely accurate.

What use is saying this and everyone saying similar things so
often? Do you all enjoy it somehow, getting about in gangs to
beat some one individual up? Is there some unresolved
psychological problem that you guys never resolved in the
schoolyard? If Richard makes a mistake in advice, it is surely
sufficient for one person to point it out and to leave it at
that.

Doug Miller

What use is saying this and everyone saying similar things so
often? Do you all enjoy it somehow, getting about in gangs to
beat some one individual up? Is there some unresolved
psychological problem that you guys never resolved in the
schoolyard? If Richard makes a mistake in advice, it is surely
sufficient for one person to point it out and to leave it at
that.

You're not paying attention here, dorayme. richard makes a mistake, someone
corrects it, and richard argues with him. *That's* why he's earned his
nickname: persistent ignorance.

dorayme

You're not paying attention here, dorayme. richard makes a mistake, someone
corrects it, and richard argues with him. *That's* why he's earned his
nickname: persistent ignorance.

On the contrary, I am paying too much attention, Doug! Your reply
is no answer to the question I posed about the use of many people
so persistently beating up one guy. That you all do it so
repeatedly suggests that its effectiveness is dubious.

The problem is that some if not all of the folks that are getting
on this bandwagon are often worth listening to on technical
matters. How about putting in something to help some of us
fashion a filter: like you Richard-Watchers adding "PORFAGH"
(Pissing On Richard From A Great Height) in the body of your
posts? <g>