proxy caching?

csmitc606

i released a new web site. many of the images on the new site have the same
name as different images that were on the old site. the path and the image
names can't change. i'm seeing the old images on the new site because of
proxy caching. can someone tell me typically how long these proxy caches
hold onto content before it gets flushed out? what are my options here?
remember i said that changing the path and image names is not an option.

thanks,
craig

Isofarro

csmitc606 said:
can someone tell me typically how long these
proxy caches hold onto content before it gets flushed out?

"How long is a piece of string?"

brucie

can someone tell me typically how long these proxy caches
hold onto content before it gets flushed out?

ultimately as long as they want to.
what are my options here?

bypass the proxy causing the problems. google for a public proxy
server and tell your browsers to make requests through that server
with a bit of luck you'll go around the proxy causing problems.

csmitc606

ultimately as long as they want to.

i know. i was asking for a typical duration. default. average.
bypass the proxy causing the problems. google for a public proxy
server and tell your browsers to make requests through that server
with a bit of luck you'll go around the proxy causing problems.

sounds good. but i'm guessing the public proxy i use wouldn't appreciate
having www.bmwusa.com traffic routed through it.

csmitc606

Isofarro said:
"How long is a piece of string?"

Post whore. The average length of a string in a YoYo (proxy server) is 1.2
meters. Make yourself useful.

And for those of you interested in more than sharpening your wit on the
lowest form of humour, I have partially found a solution to my problem. Most
server software have a capability to set a duration for a page in the
software settings (IIS has a setting for this).

Matthias Gutfeldt

csmitc606 said:
Most server software have a capability to set a duration for
a page in the software settings (IIS has a setting for this).

You're a genius! All you now need to do is change all the proxy servers
on the web, and you're all set!

Matthias

csmitc606

You're a genius! All you now need to do is change all the proxy servers
on the web, and you're all set!

And you aren't.

1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server. Read
the post.

2. This will prevent it from happening again. So yes, I am smart. Thanks for
noticing.

Anything else constructive to add?

csmitc606

Would it hurt for someone to say something like...

"It varies greatly but on average the content should refresh itself after a
few days."

I haven't slept in 36 hours and you all get off hanging around in newsgroups
trying to flame people who don't know as much about something as you. Hope
it makes you feel important.

Matthias Gutfeldt

csmitc606 said:
And you aren't.

1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server. Read
the post.

2. This will prevent it from happening again. So yes, I am smart. Thanks for
noticing.

Anything else constructive to add?

No. I am utterly awed by your superior intellect and communication
skills.

Matthias

brucie

sounds good. but i'm guessing the public proxy i use wouldn't appreciate
having www.bmwusa.com traffic routed through it.

i think you're looking at it around the wrong way. you don't direct
traffic through the proxy, requests _to_ your server come through the
proxy. the visitor needs to be using the proxy.

most public proxies don't care what the content type is and if you do
get one that only does text/html (or whatever) just use another of the
thousands available.

brucie

1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server.
no.

2. This will prevent it from happening again.
no.

So yes, I am smart.
no.

Anything else constructive to add?

you do not have control over caching on a proxy or anything else.

csmitc606

1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server.

Yes. To prevent proxy servers from caching dynamically generated web
pages...

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/doc/v20dcadv/doc/howto/itcache.html
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...03/proddocs/standard/pub_enablecontentexp.asp

Again...
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/doc/v20dcadv/doc/howto/itcache.html
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...03/proddocs/standard/pub_enablecontentexp.asp
so yes.

Right now, compare with you, I'm thinking yes.
you do not have control over caching on a proxy or anything else.

no

csmitc606

no, you think wrong.

"If you have time-sensitive information on your Web site, you can configure
settings that will ensure that obsolete information isn't cached by proxies
or Web browsers."

Microsoft. At least I'm not alone.

brucie

"If you have time-sensitive information on your Web site, you can configure
settings that will ensure that obsolete information isn't cached by proxies
or Web browsers."

Microsoft. At least I'm not alone.

microsoft is telling a big fat lie. if it makes you feel better
believing that lie go ahead.

csmitc606

microsoft is telling a big fat lie. if it makes you feel better
believing that lie go ahead.

it makes me feel better because it worked. tested.
thx for your help.

csmitc606

it worked for _you_. it will not work for everyone and there is
nothing you can do to make it work for everyone. you do not have that
control.

agreed. some proxies are not smart enough to allow an object to provide
information about when their relevance expires. some are. it isn't in my
control. but it is a step in the right direction.

brucie

it makes me feel better because it worked.

it worked for _you_. it will not work for everyone and there is
nothing you can do to make it work for everyone. you do not have that
control.

brucie

agreed. some proxies are not smart enough to allow an object to provide
information about when their relevance expires. some are.

i really think instead of making guesses to what happens you read up
on how the internet works so you know what is happening, how it
happens and why.
it isn't in my control. but it is a step in the right direction.

so what are you going to do tomorrow or even 5 minutes from now when
it no longer works for you?

csmitc606

i really think instead of making guesses to what happens you read up
on how the internet works so you know what is happening, how it
happens and why.

or i could ask in here and NOT get sarcastic answers from people with over
inflated egos.
so what are you going to do tomorrow or even 5 minutes from now when
it no longer works for you?

it works fine. just some old cached images. the problem is solved. i am
happy. and i will be in 5 minutes too.