    remember i said that changing the path and image names is not an option.

    thanks,
    craig
    csmitc606, Oct 1, 2003

  2. csmitc606

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Oct 1, 2003

  3. csmitc606

    brucie Guest

    In post <YbDeb.9$>
    csmitc606 said...

    > can someone tell me typically how long these proxy caches
    > hold onto content before it gets flushed out?

    ultimately as long as they want to.

    > what are my options here?

    bypass the proxy causing the problems. google for a public proxy
    server and tell your browsers to make requests through that server
    with a bit of luck you'll go around the proxy causing problems.

    --
    02/October/2003 06:39:54 am
    brucie, Oct 1, 2003
  4. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    > ultimately as long as they want to.

    i know. i was asking for a typical duration. default. average.

    > > what are my options here?

    > bypass the proxy causing the problems. google for a public proxy
    > server and tell your browsers to make requests through that server
    > with a bit of luck you'll go around the proxy causing problems.

    sounds good. but i'm guessing the public proxy i use wouldn't appreciate
    having www.bmwusa.com traffic routed through it.
    csmitc606, Oct 1, 2003
  5. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    "Isofarro" <> wrote in message

    > "How long is a piece of string?"

    Post whore. The average length of a string in a YoYo (proxy server) is 1.2
    meters. Make yourself useful.

    And for those of you interested in more than sharpening your wit on the
    lowest form of humour, I have partially found a solution to my problem. Most
    server software have a capability to set a duration for a page in the
    software settings (IIS has a setting for this).
    csmitc606, Oct 1, 2003
  6. csmitc606 schrieb:
    > Most server software have a capability to set a duration for
    > a page in the software settings (IIS has a setting for this).

    You're a genius! All you now need to do is change all the proxy servers
    on the web, and you're all set!

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 1, 2003
  7. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    > You're a genius! All you now need to do is change all the proxy servers
    > on the web, and you're all set!

    And you aren't.

    1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server. Read
    the post.

    2. This will prevent it from happening again. So yes, I am smart. Thanks for
    noticing.

    Anything else constructive to add?
    csmitc606, Oct 1, 2003
  8. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    Would it hurt for someone to say something like...

    "It varies greatly but on average the content should refresh itself after a
    few days."

    I haven't slept in 36 hours and you all get off hanging around in newsgroups
    trying to flame people who don't know as much about something as you. Hope
    it makes you feel important.
    csmitc606, Oct 1, 2003
  9. csmitc606 schrieb:

    > > You're a genius! All you now need to do is change all the proxy servers
    > > on the web, and you're all set!

    > And you aren't.
    >
    > 1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server. Read
    > the post.
    >
    > 2. This will prevent it from happening again. So yes, I am smart. Thanks for
    > noticing.
    >
    > Anything else constructive to add?

    No. I am utterly awed by your superior intellect and communication
    skills.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 1, 2003
  10. csmitc606

    brucie Guest

    In post <WqHeb.1359$>
    csmitc606 said...

    >> bypass the proxy causing the problems. google for a public proxy
    >> server and tell your browsers to make requests through that server
    >> with a bit of luck you'll go around the proxy causing problems.

    > sounds good. but i'm guessing the public proxy i use wouldn't appreciate
    > having www.bmwusa.com traffic routed through it.

    i think you're looking at it around the wrong way. you don't direct
    traffic through the proxy, requests _to_ your server come through the
    proxy. the visitor needs to be using the proxy.

    most public proxies don't care what the content type is and if you do
    get one that only does text/html (or whatever) just use another of the
    thousands available.

    --
    02/October/2003 07:17:39 am
    brucie, Oct 1, 2003
  11. csmitc606

    brucie Guest

    In post <HLHeb.1428$>
    csmitc606 said...

    > 1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server.

    no.

    > 2. This will prevent it from happening again.

    no.

    > So yes, I am smart.

    no.

    > Anything else constructive to add?

    you do not have control over caching on a proxy or anything else.

    --
    02/October/2003 07:52:24 am
    brucie, Oct 1, 2003
  12. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    > > 1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server.
    >
    > no.

    Yes. To prevent proxy servers from caching dynamically generated web
    pages...

    http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/doc/v20dcadv/doc/howto/itcache.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...03/proddocs/standard/pub_enablecontentexp.asp

    > > 2. This will prevent it from happening again.

    > no.

    Again...
    http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/doc/v20dcadv/doc/howto/itcache.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...03/proddocs/standard/pub_enablecontentexp.asp
    so yes.

    > > So yes, I am smart.

    > no.

    Right now, compare with you, I'm thinking yes.

    > > Anything else constructive to add?

    > you do not have control over caching on a proxy or anything else.

    no
    csmitc606, Oct 1, 2003
  13. csmitc606

    brucie Guest

    In post <oOIeb.1576$>
    csmitc606 said...

    >>> 1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server.

    >> no.

    > Yes. To prevent proxy servers from caching dynamically generated web
    > pages...

    no

    >>> 2. This will prevent it from happening again.

    >> no.

    > Again...

    again - no

    >>> So yes, I am smart.

    >> no.

    > Right now, compare with you, I'm thinking yes.

    no, you think wrong.

    >>> Anything else constructive to add?

    >> you do not have control over caching on a proxy or anything else.

    > no

    yes

    --
    02/October/2003 08:49:29 am
    brucie, Oct 1, 2003
  14. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    > no, you think wrong.

    "If you have time-sensitive information on your Web site, you can configure
    settings that will ensure that obsolete information isn't cached by proxies
    or Web browsers."

    Microsoft. At least I'm not alone.
    csmitc606, Oct 1, 2003
  15. csmitc606

    brucie Guest

    In post <HXIeb.1593$>
    csmitc606 said...

    >> no, you think wrong.

    > "If you have time-sensitive information on your Web site, you can configure
    > settings that will ensure that obsolete information isn't cached by proxies
    > or Web browsers."
    >
    > Microsoft. At least I'm not alone.

    microsoft is telling a big fat lie. if it makes you feel better
    believing that lie go ahead.

    --
    02/October/2003 08:59:12 am
    brucie, Oct 2, 2003
  16. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    > microsoft is telling a big fat lie. if it makes you feel better
    > believing that lie go ahead.

    it makes me feel better because it worked. tested.
    thx for your help.
    csmitc606, Oct 2, 2003
  17. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    > it worked for _you_. it will not work for everyone and there is
    > nothing you can do to make it work for everyone. you do not have that
    > control.

    agreed. some proxies are not smart enough to allow an object to provide
    information about when their relevance expires. some are. it isn't in my
    control. but it is a step in the right direction.
    csmitc606, Oct 2, 2003
  18. csmitc606

    brucie Guest

    In post <D3Jeb.1606$>
    csmitc606 said...

    >> microsoft is telling a big fat lie. if it makes you feel better
    >> believing that lie go ahead.

    > it makes me feel better because it worked.

    it worked for _you_. it will not work for everyone and there is
    nothing you can do to make it work for everyone. you do not have that
    control.

    --
    02/October/2003 09:08:17 am
    brucie, Oct 2, 2003
  19. csmitc606

    brucie Guest

    In post <_8Jeb.1614$>
    csmitc606 said...

    >> it worked for _you_. it will not work for everyone and there is
    >> nothing you can do to make it work for everyone. you do not have that
    >> control.

    > agreed. some proxies are not smart enough to allow an object to provide
    > information about when their relevance expires. some are.

    i really think instead of making guesses to what happens you read up
    on how the internet works so you know what is happening, how it
    happens and why.

    > it isn't in my control. but it is a step in the right direction.

    so what are you going to do tomorrow or even 5 minutes from now when
    it no longer works for you?

    --
    02/October/2003 09:14:09 am
    brucie, Oct 2, 2003
  20. csmitc606

    csmitc606 Guest

    > i really think instead of making guesses to what happens you read up
    > on how the internet works so you know what is happening, how it
    > happens and why.

    or i could ask in here and NOT get sarcastic answers from people with over
    inflated egos.

    > so what are you going to do tomorrow or even 5 minutes from now when
    > it no longer works for you?

    it works fine. just some old cached images. the problem is solved. i am
    happy. and i will be in 5 minutes too.
    csmitc606, Oct 2, 2003