    making the SOAP call? Also is there a way to retrieve the returned XML after
    call the method?

    TIA!

    Guest, Nov 3, 2005

  2. If you have access to the machine that is running the webservice, you
    can access the local test page on that machine
    (http://localhost/YourWebService.asmx).

    Here, your'e able to see the xml output.

    If you have no access to the server, you can always use a proxy application
    such as Paros or the one included in Soap toolkit, to view the xml in/out
    data.

    regards
    Emil Kvarnhammar
    http://www.ynax.com

    Emil Kvarnhammar, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Hi Param,

    As for capturing the underlying SOAP XML message of our webservice calls,
    we can use some TCP or HTTP trace utility tools. We can get them from the
    following location:

    #SOAP Toolkit 3.0
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c943c0dd-ceec-4088-
    9753-86f052ec8450&displaylang=en

    #TcpTrace
    http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace/

    We can run them on both clientside and serverside to catpure the incoming
    or outgoing SOAP message.

    Hope helps. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 4, 2005

    Guest Guest

    I downloaded the SOAP Toolkit, but have no idea how to use the Trace tool.
    It keeps pointing to localhost. When I change the URL to the remote server
    and make a webservice call, I still cannot see anything. Any ideas? Keep in
    mind, I dont have access Server-Side. I only have access Client-Side.

    TIA!

    Guest, Nov 6, 2005
  5. Thanks for your response Param,

    The Trace Utility (in soap toolkit 3) can be used to trace SOAP message at
    both clientside and serverside. For clientside, we can use it through the
    following steps:

    1. Start the Trace Utility, and create a new Formatted Trace, there will
    popup a dialog which contains the following fields:

    ##local port: ________
    ##destination host:________
    ##destination port:________

    2. Since we we're tracing the message on clientside. We can put a certain
    unused port for local port (like 8888). And the
    "destination host" and "destination port" should be identical to the Target
    server (where the webservice is hosted), for example:

    ##local port: __8888______
    ##destination host:____remoteServiceServer____
    ##destination port:____80____

    After that, we also need to modify our webservice client proxy. We need to
    make our webservcie client proxy send request to that configured "local
    port" above, so that the Trace Utility can capture the message ( and trace
    utilty we help us forward it to the destination host and port after log the
    message....)

    For example, in your client application code, we call the service like:

    WSProxy proxy = new WSProxy();

    proxy.Url = "http://localhost:8888/VirtualDir/service.asmx";

    proxy.CallMethod();

    thus, the message call request will be send to "localhost:8888" first, then
    be logged by TraceUtility and finally be forward to

    "remoteServiceServer:80" .....

    If there're still anything unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: <>
    | Subject: Re: proxy class - xml
    | Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:52:44 -0600
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    |
    | I downloaded the SOAP Toolkit, but have no idea how to use the Trace
    tool.
    | It keeps pointing to localhost. When I change the URL to the remote
    server
    | and make a webservice call, I still cannot see anything. Any ideas? Keep
    in
    | mind, I dont have access Server-Side. I only have access Client-Side.
    |
    | TIA!
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi Param,
    | >
    | > As for capturing the underlying SOAP XML message of our webservice
    calls,
    | > we can use some TCP or HTTP trace utility tools. We can get them from
    the
    | > following location:
    | >
    | > #SOAP Toolkit 3.0

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c943c0dd-ceec-4088-
    | > 9753-86f052ec8450&displaylang=en
    | >
    | > #TcpTrace
    | > http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace/
    | >
    | > We can run them on both clientside and serverside to catpure the
    incoming
    | > or outgoing SOAP message.
    | >
    | > Hope helps. Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Emil Kvarnhammar" <info at ynax.com>
    | > | Subject: Re: proxy class - xml
    | > | Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:49:53 +0100
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    | > |
    | > | If you have access to the machine that is running the webservice, you
    | > | can access the local test page on that machine
    | > | (http://localhost/YourWebService.asmx).
    | > |
    | > | Here, your'e able to see the xml output.
    | > |
    | > | If you have no access to the server, you can always use a proxy
    | > application
    | > | such as Paros or the one included in Soap toolkit, to view the xml
    | > in/out
    | > | data.
    | > |
    | > | regards
    | > | Emil Kvarnhammar
    | > | http://www.ynax.com
    | > |
    | > | <> wrote in message
    WS
    | > There
    | > way
    | > class
    | > returned

    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 7, 2005
  6. Hi Param,

    How are you doing on this issue? Have you got the Trace Utility working
    through the suggestions in my last reply? If there're any further things I
    can help ,please feel free to post here.

    Thank you!

> [...]

    | If there're still anything unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks,
    |
    | Steven Cheng
    | Microsoft Online Support

    | rights.)
    |

    | --------------------
    | | From: <>
    | | Subject: Re: proxy class - xml
    | | Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:52:44 -0600
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    | |
    | | I downloaded the SOAP Toolkit, but have no idea how to use the Trace
    | tool.
    | | It keeps pointing to localhost. When I change the URL to the remote
    | server
    | | and make a webservice call, I still cannot see anything. Any ideas?
    Keep
    | in
    | | mind, I dont have access Server-Side. I only have access Client-Side.
    | |
    | | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | | > Hi Param,
    | | >
    | | > As for capturing the underlying SOAP XML message of our webservice
    | calls,
    | | > we can use some TCP or HTTP trace utility tools. We can get them from
    | the
    | | > following location:
    | | >
    | | > #SOAP Toolkit 3.0

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c943c0dd-ceec-4088-
    | | > 9753-86f052ec8450&displaylang=en
    | | >
    | | > #TcpTrace
    | | > http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace/
    | | >
    | | > We can run them on both clientside and serverside to catpure the
    | incoming
    | | > or outgoing SOAP message.
    | | >
    | | > Hope helps. Thanks,
    | | >
    | | > Steven Cheng
    | | > Microsoft Online Support
    | | >
    | | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | | > rights.)
    | | > --------------------
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > application
    | | > in/out
    | | > |
    | | > |
    The
    | WS
    | | > There
    | | > way
    | | > class
    | | > returned

    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | |
    | |
    | |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 9, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Nopes, I cannot get it to work. The remote WS URL is
    https://bizt.somedomain.com/cbtloanapps/loanapplication.asmx

    I installed the Trace utility on my local web server & ran it. I started a
    new formatted trace as follows:-

    Local Port: 8888
    Remote Host: bizt.somedomain.com
    Remote Port: 443

    I then in my code changed the URL for the proxy client to
    http://localhost:8888/cbtloanapps/loanapplication.asmx

    The trace finds a message, but the contents are blank. & the WS call returns
    "an underlying connection was closed by the server"....

    Any ideas?

    Guest, Nov 9, 2005
  8. Hello param,

    Thanks for the response. As you mentioned the following configuration:

    ===============
    Local Port: 8888
    Remote Host: bizt.somedomain.com
    Remote Port: 443
    ===================

    Based on my experience, 443 is the default port of SSL/TLS protocol. So is
    that webservice endpoint protected through SSL/TLS? If so, I'm afraid we
    can not use any intermediate monitors tools to intercept the message, even
    if, since the message content are encrypted, that won't be human readable
    to us.

    So would you please confirm whether you're consuming the webservice through
    the SSL/TLS connection?

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: <>
    | Subject: Re: proxy class - xml
    | Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:50:09 -0600
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    |
    | Nopes, I cannot get it to work. The remote WS URL is
    | https://bizt.somedomain.com/cbtloanapps/loanapplication.asmx
    |
    | I installed the Trace utility on my local web server & ran it. I started
    | new formatted trace as follows:-
    |
    | Local Port: 8888
    | Remote Host: bizt.somedomain.com
    | Remote Port: 443
    |
    | I then in my code changed the URL for the proxy client to
    | http://localhost:8888/cbtloanapps/loanapplication.asmx
    |
    | The trace finds a message, but the contents are blank. & the WS call
    returns
    | "an underlying connection was closed by the server"....
    |
    | Any ideas?
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi Param,
    | >
    | > How are you doing on this issue? Have you got the Trace Utility working
    | > through the suggestions in my last reply? If there're any further
    things I
    | > can help ,please feel free to post here.
    | >
    | > Thank you!
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | > | Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 02:26:49 GMT
    | > | Subject: Re: proxy class - xml
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for your response Param,
    | > |
    | > | The Trace Utility (in soap toolkit 3) can be used to trace SOAP
    message
    | > at
    | > | both clientside and serverside. For clientside, we can use it through
    | > the
    | > | following steps:
    | > |
    | > | 1. Start the Trace Utility, and create a new Formatted Trace, there
    will
    | > | popup a dialog which contains the following fields:
    | > |
    | > | ##local port: ________
    | > | ##destination host:________
    | > | ##destination port:________
    | > |
    | > | 2. Since we we're tracing the message on clientside. We can put a
    | > certain
    | > | unused port for local port (like 8888). And the
    | > | "destination host" and "destination port" should be identical to the
    | > Target
    | > | server (where the webservice is hosted), for example:
    | > |
    | > | ##local port: __8888______
    | > | ##destination host:____remoteServiceServer____
    | > | ##destination port:____80____
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | After that, we also need to modify our webservice client proxy. We
    need
    | > | make our webservcie client proxy send request to that configured
    "local
    | > | port" above, so that the Trace Utility can capture the message ( and
    | > trace
    | > | utilty we help us forward it to the destination host and port after
    log
    | > the
    | > | message....)
    | > |
    | > | For example, in your client application code, we call the service
    like:
    | > |
    | > | WSProxy proxy = new WSProxy();
    | > |
    | > | proxy.Url = "http://localhost:8888/VirtualDir/service.asmx";
    | > |
    | > | proxy.CallMethod();
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | thus, the message call request will be send to "localhost:8888" first,
    | > then
    | > | be logged by TraceUtility and finally be forward to
    | > |
    | > | "remoteServiceServer:80" .....
    | > |
    | > | If there're still anything unclear, please feel free to post here.
    | > Thanks,
    | > |
    | > | Steven Cheng
    | > | Microsoft Online Support
    | > |
    | > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | > | rights.)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | --------------------
    | > | tool.
    | > | server
    | > Keep
    | > | in
    Client-Side.
    | > | |
    | > | |

    | > | calls,
    | > from
    | > | the

    | > |

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c943c0dd-ceec-4088-

    | > | incoming

    | > no
    | > | | > |
    | > you
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    WS.
    | > The
    | > | WS
    | > well.
    | > there a
    | > proxy

    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |

    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 10, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Steve, yes. The remote web service runs over SSL under IIS...

    So I guess I cannot do anything then right?

    Thanks

    Guest, Nov 10, 2005
  10. Hi Param,

    I'm afraid for HTTPS connection it's hard to do transport layer monitoring.
    I know that there exists some 3rd party tools which can intercept the https
    message on clientside, but we do not support any tools. One thing we can
    still consider is that the .NET /asp.net webservice provide an interface
    named "SoapExtension" which can help intercept message between our code and
    Transport layer. We can create a custom SoapExtension to log message, here
    are some reference on creating SoapExtension:

    #Using SOAP Extensions in ASP.NET
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/03/ASPColumn/default.aspx

    #Altering the SOAP Message Using SOAP Extensions
    l/cpconAlteringSOAPMessageUsingSOAPExtensions.asp

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: <>
    | Subject: Re: proxy class - xml
    | Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:05:22 -0600
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    |
    | Steve, yes. The remote web service runs over SSL under IIS...
    |
    | So I guess I cannot do anything then right?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hello param,
    | >
    | > Thanks for the response. As you mentioned the following configuration:
    | >
    | > ===============
    | > Local Port: 8888
    | > Remote Host: bizt.somedomain.com
    | > Remote Port: 443
    | > ===================
    | >
    | > Based on my experience, 443 is the default port of SSL/TLS protocol.
    So
    | > is
    | > that webservice endpoint protected through SSL/TLS? If so, I'm afraid we
    | > can not use any intermediate monitors tools to intercept the message,
    even
    | > if, since the message content are encrypted, that won't be human
    readable
    | > to us.
    | >
    | > So would you please confirm whether you're consuming the webservice
    | > through
    | > the SSL/TLS connection?
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: <>
    | > | Subject: Re: proxy class - xml
    | > | Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:50:09 -0600
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    | > | new formatted trace as follows:-
    | > |
    | > | Local Port: 8888
    | > | Remote Host: bizt.somedomain.com
    | > | Remote Port: 443
    | > |
    | > | I then in my code changed the URL for the proxy client to
    | > | http://localhost:8888/cbtloanapps/loanapplication.asmx
    | > |
    | > | The trace finds a message, but the contents are blank. & the WS call
    | > returns
    | > | "an underlying connection was closed by the server"....
    | > |
    | > | Any ideas?
    | > |
    | > | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message

    | > working
    | > things I

    | > | > |
    | > message
    | > through
    | > | > |
    | > will
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > need
    | > "local
    | > log
    | > | > |
    | > like:
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > first,
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > no
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > | |
    | > Trace
    | > remote
    | > ideas?
    | > Client-Side.
    | > | > | |
    | > | > | |
    | > message

    | > webservice

    | > | > |

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c943c0dd-ceec-4088-

    | > confers
    | > microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    | > | > | | > |
    | > webservice,
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |