Proxy settings not configured for weg discovery.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Dave, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Another newbie to .NET....

    I'm currently running through the walkthroughs (ha ha).
    I'm doing this all on a stand alone laptop running windows
    2000 with .NET 2002 academic version and SQL Server 2000
    desktop. THERE IS NO LAN CONNECTION.

    I've created a simple web service (vb) that connects to
    the pubs db in sql server with a DataAdapter object and
    has two web methods (get, update) that expose the result
    set.

    I get the following error when I try and create a web
    reference to this web service object from a windows client
    (vb client). I browse the local server, the web service is
    listed (suggesting web discovery is working) and when I
    select it I get the error. I've checked it out and it's
    something to do with a LAN proxy setting but I'm not
    connected to a LAN at all!!!?

    Here's the error...

    "The proxy settings on this computer are not configured
    correctly for web discovery. Click the Help button for
    more information."

    Parser Error Message: Could not create
    type 'AuthorsWebService.AuthorsService'.

    Source Error:

    Line 1: <%@ WebService Language="vb"
    Codebehind="AuthorsService.asmx.vb"
    Class="AuthorsWebService.AuthorsService" %>

    Source File:
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\AuthorsWebService\AuthorsService.asmx
    Line: 1

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

    Server Error in '/AuthorsWebService' Application.

    Dave, Sep 15, 2003