ps2eps.pl Hangs on "Calculating Bounding Box"

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PeterOut, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    I am using ActivePerl-5.8.7.815-MSWin32-x86-211909 on Microsoft Windows
    ME.

    I have a PostScript file that I have made by choosing the "Print to
    File" option in the Print function. I then try to convert it to
    encapsulated PostScript with the following call.

    c:\ActivePerl-5.8.7.815-MSWin32-x86-211909\perl\bin\perl
    c:\windows\ps2eps.pl InputFileName.prn

    I get the following output

    Input files: InputFileName.prn
    Processing: InputFileName.prn
    Windows generated Postscript file detected, fixing
    Rendering with existing %%BoundingBox: 21 15 597 776
    Calculating Bounding Box...

    At this point it hangs. I let it run all night and it was still here
    when I checked it in the morning. I would be most grateful if anyone
    could tell me how I might fix this problem.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

    PeterOut, Feb 8, 2006

  2. PeterOut wrote:
    > I am using ActivePerl-5.8.7.815-MSWin32-x86-211909 on Microsoft Windows
    > ME.
    >
    > I have a PostScript file that I have made by choosing the "Print to
    > File" option in the Print function. I then try to convert it to
    > encapsulated PostScript with the following call.

    First of all, you must tell us at least what is the printer model
    installed on your system (the one you select in the Print dialog).

    Certainly you've installed a PostScript printer driver, but sometimes it
    doesn't suffice. Some PostScript drivers may not produce "pure"
    PostScript code, thus it may be not readable by ps2eps and other
    postprocessing tools.

    A lot of people recommend installing the Adobe PostScript printer
    driver. It can be found in the Adobe site:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=44&platform=Windows
    ..

    Also, it may worth try converting it using other tools, e.g. via GhostView.

    --
    Regards,
    Vilar Camara Neto

    Vilar Camara Neto, Feb 8, 2006

  3. PeterOut

    PeterOut Guest

    Vilar Camara Neto wrote:
    > PeterOut wrote:
    > > I am using ActivePerl-5.8.7.815-MSWin32-x86-211909 on Microsoft Windows
    > > ME.
    > >
    > > I have a PostScript file that I have made by choosing the "Print to
    > > File" option in the Print function. I then try to convert it to
    > > encapsulated PostScript with the following call.

    > First of all, you must tell us at least what is the printer model
    > installed on your system (the one you select in the Print dialog).

    Many thanks for your reply. I was using the driver for the Tektronix
    Phaser 600. I also tried the Tektronix Phaser III PXiJ v2 which works
    fine on my computer at work. I had the same problem with both.

    > A lot of people recommend installing the Adobe PostScript printer
    > driver. It can be found in the Adobe site:
    > http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=44&platform=Windows

    I tried this as well with the same results except it had the additional
    problem of not giving me colo(u)r.

    > Also, it may worth try converting it using other tools, e.g. via GhostView.

    I tried this and it worked!!! I was surprised since I had problems
    with this approach in the past. I used to have to use GhostView to get
    the bounding box and then manually add the bounding box to the
    PostScript file. Maybe they have fixed a bug in GhostView. Also the
    PostScript file must have been OK. It looks like there is some problem
    with ps2eps.pl or with my Perl installation.

    Thanks again for your help,
    Peter.

    PeterOut, Feb 9, 2006
  4. PeterOut

    Aandi Inston Guest

    Vilar Camara Neto <neto@dcc._nospam_.ufmg.br> wrote:

    >A lot of people recommend installing the Adobe PostScript printer
    >driver.

    And I find this very bizarre. I think it is people who don't know how
    to install Windows printer drivers ("Add printer"). This is really
    not good advice.
    Aandi Inston http://www.quite.com

    Aandi Inston, Feb 9, 2006