Pseudorandom algorithms

Tatu Portin

I need a pseudorandom algorithm that produces same results with same
seed across different platforms. I'm not sure, but I think that
standard rand() does produce different set of numbers on different
platforms. I would be using only four distinct values,
i.e. (rand() % 4).

This algorithm would be used to generate a bitmap when a game starts,
and if randomness is platform-variable, the game will look different
on different platforms and this is not what I want.

Michael Mair

Tatu said:
I need a pseudorandom algorithm that produces same results with same
seed across different platforms. I'm not sure, but I think that
standard rand() does produce different set of numbers on different
platforms. I would be using only four distinct values,
i.e. (rand() % 4).

This algorithm would be used to generate a bitmap when a game starts,
and if randomness is platform-variable, the game will look different
on different platforms and this is not what I want.

The standard does not prescribe much w.r.t. rand().
So, if you need a pseudorandom number generator which behaves
identically for identical seeds througout different platforms,
write one yourself. Take into account that integer type widths
may vary.

Cheers
Michael

Keith Thompson

Tatu Portin said:
I need a pseudorandom algorithm that produces same results with same
seed across different platforms. I'm not sure, but I think that
standard rand() does produce different set of numbers on different
platforms. I would be using only four distinct values,
i.e. (rand() % 4).

This algorithm would be used to generate a bitmap when a game starts,
and if randomness is platform-variable, the game will look different
on different platforms and this is not what I want.

Right, there's no requirement for all C implementations to use the
same algorithm, but there is a sample algorithm in the standard.
C99 7.20.2.2:

static unsigned long int next = 1;

int rand(void) // RAND_MAX assumed to be 32767
{
next = next * 1103515245 + 12345;
return (unsigned int)(next/65536) % 32768;
}

void srand(unsigned int seed)
{
next = seed;
}

If you change the names of the functions (so they don't conflict with
the standard functions), I *think* the above code will give you the
same sequence for the same seed on all platforms. (Don't take my word
for that; try it on all platforms you're interested in.)

Tim Rentsch

Tatu Portin said:
I need a pseudorandom algorithm that produces same results with same
seed across different platforms. I'm not sure, but I think that
standard rand() does produce different set of numbers on different
platforms. I would be using only four distinct values,
i.e. (rand() % 4).

This algorithm would be used to generate a bitmap when a game starts,
and if randomness is platform-variable, the game will look different
on different platforms and this is not what I want.

/***** This file is prand32.h *****/
#ifndef H_PRAND32_H
#define H_PRAND32_H

/* A portable, platform independent, pseudo-random number generator. */
/* */
/* random_32() yields a 32-bit, uniformly distributed, "random number". */
/* */
/* Use seed_random_32() to supply a 32-bit seed value for random_32(). */

#define random_32() (*--random_32_p ? *random_32_p : cycle_random_32())

extern void seed_random_32( unsigned long );
extern unsigned long (random_32)( void );

/*************************/
/* for internal use only */
/*************************/
extern unsigned long cycle_random_32( void );
extern const unsigned long *random_32_p;

#endif /* H_PRAND_H */
/***** End of prand32.h *****/

/***** This file is prand32.c *****/
#include "prand32.h"

/***********************************************************/
/* The method employed is based on a lagged fibonacci PRNG */
/* given in Knuth's "Graph Base" book. */
/***********************************************************/

#define VALUES_N (55u)
#define VALUES_D (24u)
/* Other reasonable values: 33,20 17,11 9,5 */

#define VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT (VALUES_N + 1)

static unsigned long values[VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT];
const unsigned long *random_32_p = values + VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT;
static const unsigned long mask32 = 0xffffffffUL;

void
seed_random_32( unsigned long seed_value ){
unsigned i;

values[1] = seed_value & mask32;
for( i = 2; i < VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT; i++ ) values = 0;

for( i = 0; i < VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT * 2; i++ ){
random_32_p = &values[0];
(void) cycle_random_32();

unsigned long
(random_32)( void ){
return random_32();
}

unsigned long
cycle_random_32(){
unsigned i;

if( random_32_p == &values[0] ){
for( i = 1; i + VALUES_D < VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT; i++ ){
values -= values[ i+VALUES_D ];
values &= mask32;
}
for( i = i; i < VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT; i++ ){
values -= values[ i - (VALUES_N - VALUES_D) ];
values &= mask32;
}

for( i = 1; i < VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT; i++ ){
values ^= (mask32 ^ values[i-1]) >> 1;
}

random_32_p = &values[VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT - 1];

} else if( random_32_p == &values[VALUES_INDEX_LIMIT - 1] ){
seed_random_32( 0 );
}

return *random_32_p;
}

/***** End of prand32.c *****/

Query to comp.lang.c readers: What platform dependencies
did I miss?

kleuske

Keith Thompson schreef:
Right, there's no requirement for all C implementations to use the
same algorithm, but there is a sample algorithm in the standard.
C99 7.20.2.2:

static unsigned long int next = 1;

int rand(void) // RAND_MAX assumed to be 32767
{
next = next * 1103515245 + 12345;
return (unsigned int)(next/65536) % 32768;
}

void srand(unsigned int seed)
{
next = seed;
}

If you change the names of the functions (so they don't conflict with
the standard functions), I *think* the above code will give you the
same sequence for the same seed on all platforms. (Don't take my word
for that; try it on all platforms you're interested in.)

Assuming all have a 32-bit int (or bigger) and there aren't any bugs in
basic arithmatic instructions, i don't really see how the results
_could_ differ. After all, it's fairly basic math and I totally fail to
spot any possible implementation or platform dependencies.

However, as Dr. Knuth wrote: "be wary of bugs in the above code. I've
only proven it correct, not actually tried it."