psgml NOFILL not operative

Peter Flynn

I have been using GNU Emacs with psgml-mode for many years, and relying
on the NOFILL PI to prevent listings and other linespecific element
types from being disturbed when I issue a C-c C-q. In the current
version (1.3.2, with Emacs22 under Ubuntu 9.10), it appears that this
requires (with DocBook as my example)

<?PSGML ELEMENT programlisting nofill=t ?>
<?PSGML ELEMENT literallayout nofill=t ?>

Neither of these has any effect: a C-c C-q will fill all material in
scope in mixed content and re-indent all element types in element
content, *including* programlisting and literallayout.

I have obviously misunderstood something about the way this should be
specified, but I cannot see what. In earlier versions, I was using the
PI <?PSGML NOFILL programlisting literallayout?> but this has no effect
now either.

Is anyone else using this successfully?

///Peter

Joe Kesselman

Sorry, but I've been using sgml-mode on the older copies of Emacs I've
been running.

I have to believe that someone has added an explicit XML mode by now...?

Peter Flynn

Joe said:
Sorry, but I've been using sgml-mode on the older copies of Emacs I've
been running.

Oh wow. That doesn't parse or provide any DTD-specific actions, I think.
psgml-mode was a major improvement.
I have to believe that someone has added an explicit XML mode by now...?

Yes, psgml-mode has an xml-mode, and there is also an xxml-mode that
provides more bells and whistles.

psgml-mode has been working excellently except for this weird misbehaviour.

///Peter

Joe Kesselman

Peter said:
Oh wow. That doesn't parse or provide any DTD-specific actions, I think.
psgml-mode was a major improvement.

For what I've been doing, DTD awareness in the user is sufficient; I
haven't needed it in the editor. Could be nice if you've got it, I grant.