psgml NOFILL not operative

Discussion in 'XML' started by Peter Flynn, Nov 21, 2009.

  1. Peter Flynn

    Peter Flynn Guest

    I have been using GNU Emacs with psgml-mode for many years, and relying
    on the NOFILL PI to prevent listings and other linespecific element
    types from being disturbed when I issue a C-c C-q. In the current
    version (1.3.2, with Emacs22 under Ubuntu 9.10), it appears that this
    requires (with DocBook as my example)

    <?PSGML ELEMENT programlisting nofill=t ?>
    <?PSGML ELEMENT literallayout nofill=t ?>

    Neither of these has any effect: a C-c C-q will fill all material in
    scope in mixed content and re-indent all element types in element
    content, *including* programlisting and literallayout.

    I have obviously misunderstood something about the way this should be
    specified, but I cannot see what. In earlier versions, I was using the
    PI <?PSGML NOFILL programlisting literallayout?> but this has no effect
    now either.

    Is anyone else using this successfully?

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Nov 21, 2009

  2. Sorry, but I've been using sgml-mode on the older copies of Emacs I've
    been running.

    I have to believe that someone has added an explicit XML mode by now...?
    Joe Kesselman, Nov 22, 2009

  3. Peter Flynn

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Joe Kesselman wrote:
    > Sorry, but I've been using sgml-mode on the older copies of Emacs I've
    > been running.

    Oh wow. That doesn't parse or provide any DTD-specific actions, I think.
    psgml-mode was a major improvement.

    > I have to believe that someone has added an explicit XML mode by now...?

    Yes, psgml-mode has an xml-mode, and there is also an xxml-mode that
    provides more bells and whistles.

    psgml-mode has been working excellently except for this weird misbehaviour.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Nov 22, 2009
  4. Peter Flynn wrote:
    > Oh wow. That doesn't parse or provide any DTD-specific actions, I think.
    > psgml-mode was a major improvement.

    For what I've been doing, DTD awareness in the user is sufficient; I
    haven't needed it in the editor. Could be nice if you've got it, I grant.
    Joe Kesselman, Nov 23, 2009