    If anyone could give me some options and/or advice, I'd really
    appreciate it!

    Dave
    Dave, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Dave wrote:

    > Hi there. I'm a beginner at Python and I'm writing my first Python
    > script. It's a text adventure about coffee and mixing drinks and
    > being crazy and such. I keep updating it and want my friends to
    > beta test it for me, but some of them don't have the right version
    > of Python or don't want to get Python at all.

    Sounds like Windows users. Isn't py2exe an option?

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #339:

    manager in the cable duct
    Bjoern Schliessmann, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Dave

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:07:25 -0000, Dave <> wrote:
    > Hi there. I'm a beginner at Python and I'm writing my first Python
    > script. It's a text adventure about coffee and mixing drinks and being
    > crazy and such. I keep updating it and want my friends to beta test it
    > for me, but some of them don't have the right version of Python or
    > don't want to get Python at all. Is there an easy way I can set up a
    > public telnet server so they can just telnet the server and play it?

    - get yourself a Unix machine with a real, routable IP address
    - enable telnet (or better, ssh) access
    - create a new user
    - make the game this user's login shell, or let her login script
    exec the game
    - test it out
    - distribute address, user name and password to people

    "netcat ... -e the_game" may be another option.

    However, the security implications of this may be serious. You should
    assume these people can get local user shell access whenever they feel
    like it, and use your machine for evil purposes. I trust my brother
    with local access to my machines, and noone else[1].

    /Jörgen

    [1] Well, his two cats too, but they have never logged in so far.
    Probably forgot the password, too.

    \X/ snipabacken.dyndns.org> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
    Jorgen Grahn, Aug 12, 2007
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Aug 12, 2:03 pm, Jorgen Grahn <>
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:07:25 -0000, Dave <> wrote:
    > > Hi there. I'm a beginner at Python and I'm writing my first Python
    > > script. It's a text adventure about coffee and mixing drinks and being
    > > crazy and such. I keep updating it and want my friends to beta test it
    > > for me, but some of them don't have the right version of Python or
    > > don't want to get Python at all. Is there an easy way I can set up a
    > > public telnet server so they can just telnet the server and play it?

    > - get yourself a Unix machine with a real, routable IP address
    > - enable telnet (or better, ssh) access
    > - create a new user
    > - make the game this user's login shell, or let her login script
    > exec the game
    > - test it out
    > - distribute address, user name and password to people
    >
    > "netcat ... -e the_game" may be another option.
    >
    > However, the security implications of this may be serious. You should
    > assume these people can get local user shell access whenever they feel
    > like it, and use your machine for evil purposes. I trust my brother
    > with local access to my machines, and noone else[1].
    >
    > /Jörgen
    >
    > [1] Well, his two cats too, but they have never logged in so far.
    > Probably forgot the password, too.
    >
    > --
    > // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    > \X/ snipabacken.dyndns.org> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm actually on Linux and a friend helped
    me enabled SSH and make the game the login script for a dummy account,
    but then he was generous enough to let me put it on a spare server of
    his too. :)

    As for the py2exe suggestion, I actually just tried that yesterday so
    now there's a Windows Executable version of the game for friends to
    try as well.

    Both versions are available, plus source, from http://thegriddle.net/python/
    if you want to check it out. Thanks again!

    Dave
    Dave, Aug 20, 2007