Public web site where I can check usage statistics on other sites?

Stephanie Wilks

Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site, and
not actually viewing the page.

I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in the
top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you statistics of
the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it was on the
Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors it received a
day, etc. Is there anything like this still around that I can use to
prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

Thanks for any help!

Cameron

Stephanie said:
Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site, and
not actually viewing the page.

I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in the
top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you statistics of
the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it was on the
Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors it received a
day, etc. Is there anything like this still around that I can use to
prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

Thanks for any help!

Errrr, the google toolbar has a page rank feature that shows you how
people that use the google toolbar like the page, but there is no way
for any application to just see how many hits a site has had without the
server admins specifically setting it up.

http://www.google.com

~Cameron

Mark Parnell

Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site, and
not actually viewing the page.

They're probably just making it up.
I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in the
top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you statistics of
the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it was on the
Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors it received a
day, etc. Is there anything like this still around that I can use to
prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

The Alexa toolbar does a similar thing as the Google toolbar, though as
Cameron said, there is no way to know how many "hits" the site has
unless they want you to.
Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

Whatever the site owner wants it to mean. IOW, it is meaningless.
Unfortunately it impresses those who don't know better.

Even if you could prove they were lying, what do you think you could do
about it?

Nik Coughin

Mark said:
They're probably just making it up.

The Alexa toolbar does a similar thing as the Google toolbar, though
as Cameron said, there is no way to know how many "hits" the site has
unless they want you to.

Whatever the site owner wants it to mean. IOW, it is meaningless.
Unfortunately it impresses those who don't know better.

Even if you could prove they were lying, what do you think you could
do about it?

Hi Mark,

Forgive my ignorance, but what does IOW mean?

Paul Furman

I thought there was a tracker out there that you can set up to track
someone else's (or your own) site. Doesn't sound possible but I do
recall seeing such a thing recently. Sorry not more help.

Paul Furman

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Paul Furman:
I thought there was one that you could attach to somebody else's site,
unlikely as that sounds.

Unlikely indeed. Unless you resort to illegal means.
How do you attach this to your site? You have to upload a utility to
your site I assume?

Well, I guess everytime someone visits the site, that little icon must be
loaded from nedstat and so they can keep track of all the visitors.
But I think it would be more appropriate to write a PHP script which
extracts the data from your own logfiles.