    prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

    Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

    Thanks for any help!

    Stephanie Wilks, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Stephanie Wilks

    Cameron Guest

    Stephanie Wilks wrote:
    > Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
    > someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
    > receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
    > receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site, and
    > not actually viewing the page.
    >
    > I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
    > in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in the
    > top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you statistics of
    > the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it was on the
    > Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors it received a
    > day, etc. Is there anything like this still around that I can use to
    > prove this site doesn't get that many hits?
    >
    > Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Errrr, the google toolbar has a page rank feature that shows you how
    people that use the google toolbar like the page, but there is no way
    for any application to just see how many hits a site has had without the
    server admins specifically setting it up.

    http://www.google.com

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Stephanie Wilks

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On 5 Feb 2004 08:17:16 -0800, (Stephanie Wilks)
    declared in alt.html:

    > Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
    > someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
    > receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
    > receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site, and
    > not actually viewing the page.

    They're probably just making it up.

    > I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
    > in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in the
    > top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you statistics of
    > the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it was on the
    > Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors it received a
    > day, etc. Is there anything like this still around that I can use to
    > prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

    The Alexa toolbar does a similar thing as the Google toolbar, though as
    Cameron said, there is no way to know how many "hits" the site has
    unless they want you to.

    > Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

    Whatever the site owner wants it to mean. IOW, it is meaningless.
    Unfortunately it impresses those who don't know better.

    Even if you could prove they were lying, what do you think you could do
    about it?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Stephanie Wilks

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > On 5 Feb 2004 08:17:16 -0800, (Stephanie Wilks)
    > declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> Sorry this doesn't have anything to do with authoring but I figured
    >> someone here might know. There is a web site claiming that they
    >> receive 1 million unique hits a month. My guess is that they are
    >> receiving 1 million unique visitors accessing files on their site,
    >> and not actually viewing the page.

    > They're probably just making it up.
    >

    >> I remember when I used an old version of netscape, it hgad a feature
    >> in the browser where you could go to a site, and click a button in
    >> the top right of Ns and a drop box would come up showing you
    >> statistics of the site. It listed the site's "rank" (how popular it
    >> was on the Internet compared to all other sites), how many visitors
    >> it received a day, etc. Is there anything like this still around
    >> that I can use to prove this site doesn't get that many hits?

    > The Alexa toolbar does a similar thing as the Google toolbar, though
    > as Cameron said, there is no way to know how many "hits" the site has
    > unless they want you to.
    >

    >> Also, what is the current definition of a "hit?"

    > Whatever the site owner wants it to mean. IOW, it is meaningless.
    > Unfortunately it impresses those who don't know better.
    >
    > Even if you could prove they were lying, what do you think you could
    > do about it?

    Hi Mark,

    Forgive my ignorance, but what does IOW mean?

    Nik Coughin, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Stephanie Wilks

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:37:30 +1300, "Nik Coughin"
    <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> declared in alt.html:

    > Forgive my ignorance, but what does IOW mean?

    In Other Words

    :)

    Mark Parnell, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Stephanie Wilks

    Paul Furman Guest

    I thought there was a tracker out there that you can set up to track
    someone else's (or your own) site. Doesn't sound possible but I do
    recall seeing such a thing recently. Sorry not more help.

    Paul Furman, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Thomas Mlynarczyk, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Stephanie Wilks

    Paul Furman Guest

    Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:
    > Do you mean something like http://www.nedstatbasic.net/? (Example:
    > www.jaas.de, click on the tiny logo at the very bottom of the page.)

    Here's the terms for the 4-week free trial (non-commercial sites only):
    http://www.nedstat.com/usa/f80125e80150_index.htm

    I thought there was one that you could attach to somebody else's site,
    unlikely as that sounds.

    How do you attach this to your site? You have to upload a utility to
    your site I assume?

    Paul Furman, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Also sprach Paul Furman:

    > I thought there was one that you could attach to somebody else's site,
    > unlikely as that sounds.

    Unlikely indeed. Unless you resort to illegal means.

    > How do you attach this to your site? You have to upload a utility to
    > your site I assume?

    Well, I guess everytime someone visits the site, that little icon must be
    loaded from nedstat and so they can keep track of all the visitors.
    But I think it would be more appropriate to write a PHP script which
    extracts the data from your own logfiles.

    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Feb 6, 2004