PublicKeyToken, GAC registering, and multiple developers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Michael Howes, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Because of web server security issues we need to register a 3rd party
    control in the GAC.
    From my understanding once this happens, any page that references the
    control gets something like the following added.
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="jwg" Namespace="MyControl" Assembly="MyControl,
    Version=1.5.1011.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=21d5517571b185bf" %>

    My question is, how can multiple developers register this control in the GAC
    and have the PublicKeyToken be the same?

    Won't the PublicKeyToken for each developer/machine that registers the
    control be different? Or will the page work on developer machines with a
    "normal" install of the 3rd party control but when moved to the production
    server, where the control has been registered in the GAC it will pick up the
    correct reference?

    How do we get around this issue?

    thanks

    mike

    PS remove the x from the email address if you'd like to respond directly.
    Michael Howes, Jan 9, 2006