PublicKeyToken, GAC registering, and multiple developers??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Michael Howes, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Because of web server security issues we need to register a 3rd party
    control in the GAC.
    From my understanding once this happens, any page that references the
    control gets something like the following added.
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="jwg" Namespace="MyControl" Assembly="MyControl,
    Version=1.5.1011.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=21d5517571b185bf" %>

    My question is, how can multiple developers register this control in the GAC
    and have the PublicKeyToken be the same?

    Won't the PublicKeyToken for each developer/machine that registers the
    control be different? Or will the page work on developer machines with a
    "normal" install of the 3rd party control but when moved to the production
    server, where the control has been registered in the GAC it will pick up the
    correct reference?

    How do we get around this issue?

    thanks

    mike

    PS remove the x from the email address if you'd like to respond directly.
    Michael Howes, Jan 9, 2006

  2. The public key token is derived from the strong name tool (sn.exe). You
    generally will only generate one key file to be used in your assembly. If
    you have Crystal Reports, you will see that the public key token is the
    same, even across versions. Note that this is not the same thing as an
    installation key. The key for the assembly is internal and cannot be easily
    changed without recompiling the assembly over and over again.

    So, I guess the answer to your question is that the public key token should
    be the same everywhere.
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Jan 10, 2006