Publishing ASP.NET Web Application Fails

Guest

I have an ASP.NET application that I have been deploying by using the publish
option on the project which compiles the project into a directory on my
machine. It has been working fine and then suddenly it is indicating
failure. I look in the output directory and all the files seem to be there.

When I use aspnet_compiler or simply compile the project in VS2005 there are
no errors. What is happening? How can I find out what is causing the
publish to fail?

As always, thanks for any input.

Eagle

Masudur

I have an ASP.NET application that I have been deploying by using the publish
option on the project which compiles the project into a directory on my
machine. It has been working fine and then suddenly it is indicating
failure. I look in the output directory and all the files seem to be there.

When I use aspnet_compiler or simply compile the project in VS2005 there are
no errors. What is happening? How can I find out what is causing the
publish to fail?

As always, thanks for any input.

Eagle

Hi...

Please try publish on different folder...
And make sure that you have all the security permissions you need.
If work fine in different folder come back to original folder and then
empty the folder
try again.

Thanks
Masudur

Note.. Can you please specify the publish option... like
updatable,fixednaming,strongname etc.

Guest

In addition to publishing to a different folder I set up a virtual directory
in IIS on by development machine (XP Pro SP2) and published to that directory
with the same indication of publication failure. In turn, I was able to
execute the app in my browser with the URL, http://localhost/[Virtual
Dir.]/Default.aspx.

Thanks,
Eagle

Juan T. Llibre

Have you tried, instead of "publishing" the app,
setting up a "Setup and Deployment" project for it ?

That will create an .msi installation file which you can use
to deploy your app with, to whichever server you want to.

Look for the "Web Setup Project" template.

On the VS 2005 menu: "File", "New Project", "Other Project Types", "Setup and Deployment".
All this, *after* having opened your project.

Select the "Web Setup Project" to create an ASP.NET installer.

Masudur said:
Hi...

Please try publish on different folder...
And make sure that you have all the security permissions you need.
If work fine in different folder come back to original folder and then
empty the folder
try again.

Thanks
Masudur

Note.. Can you please specify the publish option... like
updatable,fixednaming,strongname etc.

emeshuris

I would recommend two steps.
1. Reboot the client (dev) machine.
2. If that doesnt do it, go into iis and delete the virtual directory.

Publish as normal.

-Edward

Guest

I want to thank everyone who replied. I found the problem.

I had to do a restructuring of the images folder for the application. For
one of the pages in the application I had to setup a completely new set of
graphics and I created a subfolder for those graphic files to be able to
manage them more cleanly. I the process I moved some existing graphics to
the new location and I did not delete them from that folder in the project
configuration. The publish continued to look for them in the original
location but could not find them and the publish would fail. Deleting these
files from the original folder in the Solution Explorer resolved the problem.

I was able to find the problem in the output window following attempt to
publish.

Conceming the use of a deployment project instead of publishing, this is a
useful approach in some situations, but in this case it is more
straightforward to simply publish the application.

It is unclear to me what effect rebooting the developement machine would
have. I would appreciate some insight. Also, the project is not in IIS and
there is no virtual directory on the development machine and the server is
remote and not an issue. I am using the Cassini server for debugging.

Again, thanks for the input.