Publishing software

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by postings@alexshirley.com, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I work for a small company that publishes a number of paper based
    newsletters for companies. It also supplies these newsletters as PDF's
    and sends weekly updates (e-bulletins as we call them). It also have a
    related conference business.

    They are finally deciding to scrap their old websites and update them.
    They basically need a top portal that shows the news from every
    publication downwards. They need a website for every newsletter and
    seperate corporate/conference websites. They want each website to be
    branded with their look and feel, and they want it to be easily updated
    (the less time spent the better). They want to be able to uploads
    adverts and easily track them. Stats reports need to be easy to access
    and understandable to them. It needs to be able to handle customer
    accounts so when they log in they get access to the newsletter info
    they have paid for. They need a shopping cart to buy their products. OK
    they basically want the earth and do very little in the likes of
    maintaining it :)

    Does anybody know of any good solutions, ideally complete, ideally in
    ASP.NET 2.0 (or 1.1 I guess). I am looking for more or less a full
    solution where the major work will be in the graphical templates.

    Does anybody work in the publishing field, can anybody give any
    recommendations of any "off the shelf" solutions so to speak. If I had
    the time I would do it myself, but unfortunately it doesn't look like
    that's going to happen now for a number of reasons.

    Cheers

    Alex
    , Jan 30, 2006

  2. clintonG Guest

    Every web developer is in the "publishing field" and every developer who has
    any experience at all has tried asking people like you -- begging them in
    fact -- please take your medication.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

    clintonG, Jan 30, 2006

    I think you misread the question Clinton, and you misunderstand my
    definition of "publishing" in this instance. I meant in the
    magazine/newsletter publishing industry, not "Build/Publish Web Site"
    that you are thinking about. The fact is that there are CMS packages
    available that specifically target this industry and its culture, and I
    was interested to see if anybody had any experience in them, written
    specifically in ASP.NET, so I may at least be able to maintain any code
    issues that may occur.

    To be honest I'm very surprised to see that flaming exists in this
    forum at all (I certainly haven't seen it before). This is a friendly
    developer community not a trolling hole. That certainly was not a
    friendly post.

    Cheers

    Alex
    , Jan 31, 2006