Publishing Upgrade to One Page of Existing Website

Anthony Bollinger

I am taking over an existing fully functional website without source code.
Because of the .aspx file extensions and the age of the files, I assume it
must be ASP.NET 1.0 or 1.1. I have made modifications to one page under VS
2005, which uses ASP.NET 2.0. I put that page and its .vb file up on the
website in a directory in the root folder, not wanting to touch anything
else, but I get the following error when I hit the page.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load type '_Default'.

I don't exactly known what this error is, but I assume I must not be
publishing the site correctly. Also, when I request to Build the site from
the menu, I don't get any .dll files. I'm not sure if this is relevant or
not.

Many thanks for any input,
Tony

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

..NET 2.0 forces a recompile when there is new stuff. As you do not have the
source, the DLL is destroyed and you no longer have code.

Without the source code, you cannot add a page, unless it is not .NET at
all. It is a sad, sorry state, but you are stuck until you can get the
original source code, as ASP>NET 1.x compiles into a single DLL.

Anthony Bollinger

OK, I think your answer is helping me see how to get this done. My goal is
to leave all of those 1.1 pages in place with the DLL of course and let them
keep working. I just want to update one page. On the 2.0 platform, I
should be able to put the stuff out there and not have it overwrite the DLL
for the 1.1 stuff when the 2.0 platform compiles it, right? In other words,
it seems like there is a way to get this all to work. Does that sound
right?

Thanks for your feedback,
Tony