Pull-Down Menus

delerious

In theory, with CSS. In practise, this is only supported by Gecko-based
browsers at this stage.

See also http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html (totally CSS
- no Javascript).

Ah, thanks for the info.
The Netscape one uses CSS primarily, then has a Javascript fallback for
browsers that don't support CSS well enough (non-Gecko browsers), and then
a basic link fallback for browsers that don't support Javascript either.
Unfortunately it is rather buggy in Opera (though at least the site is
still usable), but I have yet to find a better one.

This would explain the weirdness I saw in Opera.

Eric Bohlman

Do you know if Sothink's DHTML Menu software produces the properly
written Javascript you mention above?

Nope. If I disable Javascript, the menu doesn't even appear on Sothink's
demo page.

Toby A Inkster

Beauregard said:
Quoth the raven named D.Evans:

What's the difference? They both seem to do the same thing to me.
Of course, if JavaScript is not available, there is no navigation.

In both cases, if Javascript is not available there is still navigation.

In the case of the Devedge menu, it completely works without Javascript in
Gecko-based browsers. It could probably be tweaked to do the same in Opera
7, although as it was made by Netscape they didn't.

In other CSS browsers with Javascript disabled, the "top level" navigation
links are still available (although submenus are not).

In browsers with neither CSS nor Javascript, the entire menu sits in a
simple set of nested unordered lists, so can be accessed that way.

In the case of the ASAP menu, it degrades less gracefully, although
top-level navigation is still available, so it's not too bad.

rf

No, they do use Javascript. Anyways, how would such a menu be possible
*without* javascript?

brucie does them quite regularly without javascript. He uses CSS.

Unfortunately obsolete browsers like IE do not support his solutions.

Cheers
Richard.

kchayka

William said:
Tools -> Internet Options -> advanced ....

No, it's hidden better than that, probably because MS thinks the risks
are insignificant compared to the benefits scripting can bring to the
"rich user experience". Or some such drivel.

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security

They don't call it "JavaScript", just (active) scripting, which includes
VBscript and who knows what else.

William Tasso

kchayka said:
No, it's hidden better than that, probably because MS thinks the risks
are insignificant compared to the benefits scripting can bring to the
"rich user experience". Or some such drivel.

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security

ahh thank you. you're right of course.

surely now is the time for a new (client-side) scripting engine model that
draws from the mistakes made previously. even at christmas I suspect that's
too much to hope for? It would be good to chill-out and laugh at the early
attempts to provide interactive thingummies.

jake

D.Evans said:
Pull-down menus seem to be rather rare on the Internet, especially
among commercial sites. Is this becuse they cannot be implemented
properly in HTML and Javascript?
One reason is that screen readers and suchlike don't get on too well
with them. Often this results in a user being unable to go anywhere.

Big Bill

One reason is that screen readers and suchlike don't get on too well
with them. Often this results in a user being unable to go anywhere.

Another is that search engines can't follow them either. So unless you
also have text links your pages won't get indexed.

BB

Sparkleware.com

kchayka said:
No, it's hidden better than that, probably because MS thinks the risks
are insignificant compared to the benefits scripting can bring to the
"rich user experience". Or some such drivel.

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security

They don't call it "JavaScript", just (active) scripting, which includes
VBscript and who knows what else.

You can avoid digging through these submenus, and toggle Active
Scripting on or off with a single click. For more information please
visit
http://www.sparkleware.com/asfd/index.html .