Purchase Visual studio 2008

Andrea_L

Goodmorning,
within year-end I must buy some licences of Visual Study 2005, and I
cannot wait for the escape of Visual Study 2008... Someone knows if they
are available "promotions" or other that concur, with the purchase of
every licence of 2005, the successive upgrade to 2008? (obviously
comprised in the price and not paying the upgrade subsequently!)
Thanks

PvdG42

Andrea_L said:
Goodmorning,
within year-end I must buy some licences of Visual Study 2005, and I
cannot wait for the escape of Visual Study 2008... Someone knows if they
are available "promotions" or other that concur, with the purchase of
every licence of 2005, the successive upgrade to 2008? (obviously
comprised in the price and not paying the upgrade subsequently!)
Thanks

There are none currently, AFAIK. As the release date for VS 2008, watch for
announcements.
You can also contact your local Microsoft office by phone and ask if they
have any information.

Guest

Goodmorning,
within year-end I must buy some licences of Visual Study 2005, and I
cannot wait for the escape of Visual Study 2008... Someone knows if they
are available "promotions" or other that concur, with the purchase of
every licence of 2005, the successive upgrade to 2008? (obviously
comprised in the price and not paying the upgrade subsequently!)
Thanks

In principle, you can start with Beta 2 that includes a go-live
license, which allows developers to use it in production. Otherwise,
you have to buy VS 2005 because Visual Studio 2008 definitely will be
released some time in 2008. Microsoft told about the official launch
date on February 27, 2008, but it's not guaranteed to be available on
that time

Mark Rae [MVP]

Anon User said:
They wouldn't wait another year for that, this is for sure.

Sorry, was being slightly facetious...

Latest I've heard is that it will most probably be made available to large
corporates and MSDN subscribers (like Vista was) in December 2007 and then
to retail around February...

Guest

Sorry, was being slightly facetious...

Latest I've heard is that it will most probably be made available to large
corporates and MSDN subscribers (like Vista was) in December 2007 and then
to retail around February...

I have it already installed (Beta 2), it looks good. So, I think we
could expect RTM very soon

Mark Rae [MVP]

I have it already installed (Beta 2), it looks good.

Yes indeed - I've been using it for a little while now as I'm assistingwith
a forthcoming book on ASP.NET 3.5...

I've got it running in a virtual machine, though - not taking any chances...
;-)

Richard

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <[email protected]> spake the secret code
I've got it running in a virtual machine, though - not taking any chances...
;-)

After all the funny business the 2005 beta did to my laptop, I concur.
Never, ever, run MS beta software on a machine you can't afford to
wipe and scratch install.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Never, ever, run MS beta software on a machine you can't afford to
wipe and scratch install.

That's just common sense - not just Microsoft beta software either...

Richard

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <[email protected]> spake the secret code
That's just common sense - not just Microsoft beta software either...

Apparently not common enough. I was encouraged to run VS.NET 2005
beta on the same machine as VS.NET 2003 by many people.

Guest

That's just common sense - not just Microsoft beta software either...

Well, many enterprises make it a point not to install anything until
the SP1 is released.

I have a client who is asking me to deliver ASP 2 (a classic one)
solution

Mark Rae [MVP]

Well, many enterprises make it a point not to install anything until
the SP1 is released.
Indeed.

I have a client who is asking me to deliver ASP 2 (a classic one)
solution

Wow! I normally say yes I'll do it, but it's my standard daily rate x 10
(not joking!)

jp2code

This will probably make a lot of you mad on here, but I just *downgraded* my
websites from ASP.NET to Classic ASP.

Why?

1) The .NET Framework seems to be in a state of flux: Something written for
Version 1.1 will not run on servers using 2.0, 3.0, etc. This translates to
always having to go back and update the code that clients never seem to want
to pay for, and I have to go out there and buy the latest developer that can
handle it. In contrast, Classic ASP can be compared to Latin: It is no
longer a "spoken language" in the development world, yet it seems that every
server out there still understands it.

2) Servers running the latest versions of the Framework are generally more
expensive to rent space on than a server that does not tell you what it is
running or makes no guarantee of what it is running. Classic ASP doesn't
need the Framework, so my clients save monthly upkeep fees.

Why does Microsoft have to be so expensive? Actually, I know: It's all about
the money! Still, it would be nice if we could stick with something that
worked well and enjoy a comfort zone until it did *not* work.

Sorry. I'm rambling. I'll stop now.