    is it a good idea to purchase C FAQs book, published in 1996 ?

    i am asking because my experience says hard-copies are better than
    online copies but this one was published 10 years ago.
    arnuld, Mar 8, 2007

  2. arnuld

    Flash Gordon Guest

    arnuld wrote, On 08/03/07 13:26:
    > i see C FAQs are very important part of learning C. whole C FAQs are
    > available as a book (1st edition) in my area at a little cost.
    >
    > is it a good idea to purchase C FAQs book, published in 1996 ?
    >
    > i am asking because my experience says hard-copies are better than
    > online copies but this one was published 10 years ago.

    If it's new, it benefits Steve Summit and that's no bad thing for all
    the effort he put in to it.

    My personal feeling is that it is often easier to work with books than
    online resources, and I'm sure that the book version is well worth it.
    It will also still be extremely relevant. Although you should be aware
    that Steve fairly recently updated the online version so it is also
    worth keeping that bookmarked.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Flash Gordon, Mar 8, 2007

  3. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    Re: purchasing C FAQs book is a good idea ?

    > On Mar 8, 7:30 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:

    > If it's new, it benefits Steve Summit and that's no bad thing for all
    > the effort he put in to it.

    i do not know but i think publishers provide royalty-income to the
    author of the book only for 3-4 years and after that they eat up the
    money alone. it has been 10 years, since C FAQS published hence i
    doubt if Steve makes any income from it.

    i do not know about USA BTW, i am talking about Indian Publishers.

    > My personal feeling is that it is often easier to work with books than
    > online resources,

    that is not a personal-feeling. i have observed it too. it is a common-
    sense/experience kind of thing i guess. you got lots of common-sense,
    i know it because i know you.

    :)
    arnuld, Mar 8, 2007
  4. arnuld

    Flash Gordon Guest

    arnuld wrote, On 08/03/07 15:16:
    >> On Mar 8, 7:30 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:

    >> If it's new, it benefits Steve Summit and that's no bad thing for all
    >> the effort he put in to it.

    > i do not know but i think publishers provide royalty-income to the
    > author of the book only for 3-4 years and after that they eat up the
    > money alone. it has been 10 years, since C FAQS published hence i
    > doubt if Steve makes any income from it.
    >
    > i do not know about USA BTW, i am talking about Indian Publishers.

    It may be true here in India (all apearances to the contrary I am
    actually in Hyderabad until tomorrow evening, when I fly to India,
    before flying back home first thing Sunday) but it is certainly not try
    in the UK and I doubt it is true in the USA. My dad was getting a small
    amount of money for libraries lending out his book more than 4 years
    after it was published!

    >> My personal feeling is that it is often easier to work with books than
    >> online resources,

    > that is not a personal-feeling. i have observed it too. it is a common-
    > sense/experience kind of thing i guess. you got lots of common-sense,
    > i know it because i know you.
    >
    > :)

    I also have a lot of common nonsense, some uncommon-sense and definitely
    some uncommon nonsense. :)
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Flash Gordon, Mar 8, 2007
  5. Re: purchasing C FAQs book is a good idea ?

    arnuld said:

    >> On Mar 8, 7:30 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:

    >> If it's new, it benefits Steve Summit and that's no bad thing for all
    >> the effort he put in to it.

    > i do not know but i think publishers provide royalty-income to the
    > author of the book only for 3-4 years and after that they eat up the
    > money alone.

    That is not the case. If anything, it's the reverse of the truth
    because, when the book first appears on the market, any royalties are
    set off against the advance.

    <snip>

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    Richard Heathfield, Mar 8, 2007
  6. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    Re: purchasing C FAQs book is a good idea ?

    > On Mar 8, 10:38 pm, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:

    > arnuld said:
    >
    > >> On Mar 8, 7:30 pm, Flash Gordon <> wrote:

    > >> If it's new, it benefits Steve Summit and that's no bad thing for all
    > >> the effort he put in to it.

    > > i do not know but i think publishers provide royalty-income to the
    > > author of the book only for 3-4 years and after that they eat up the
    > > money alone.

    > That is not the case. If anything, it's the reverse of the truth
    > because, when the book first appears on the market, any royalties are
    > set off against the advance.

    yes, you are right. the % is set like 12% for 2 years and 10% for 3rd
    year and later it depends on the publisher.

    this is really a worse situation. after gaining large sums of money i
    will create a publishing house where Authors will get lifetime-royalty
    but my publishing will only publish technically good quality books. to
    just give an example:

    K&R2, Practical Common Lisp, GNU Emacs Manual, etc.

    did i forget one more example, YEP,

    C Unleashed

    ;-)

    it is really a very good one, IMVHO. such authors deserve lifetime-
    royalty

    they deserve it. this what exactly i think.
    arnuld, Mar 8, 2007
  7. arnuld

    santosh Guest

    arnuld wrote:

    > > > i do not know but i think publishers provide royalty-income to the
    > > > author of the book only for 3-4 years and after that they eat up the
    > > > money alone.

    > > That is not the case. If anything, it's the reverse of the truth
    > > because, when the book first appears on the market, any royalties are
    > > set off against the advance.

    [ ... ]

    > this is really a worse situation. after gaining large sums of money i
    > will create a publishing house where Authors will get lifetime-royalty
    > but my publishing will only publish technically good quality books. to
    > just give an example:
    >
    > K&R2, Practical Common Lisp, GNU Emacs Manual, etc.
    >
    > did i forget one more example, YEP,
    >
    > C Unleashed
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > it is really a very good one, IMVHO. such authors deserve lifetime-
    > royalty
    >
    > they deserve it. this what exactly i think.

    Very admirable intentions, but it's getting a bit OT for this group.
    santosh, Mar 8, 2007
  8. arnuld

    user923005 Guest

    On Mar 8, 5:26 am, "arnuld" <> wrote:
    > i see C FAQs are very important part of learning C. whole C FAQs are
    > available as a book (1st edition) in my area at a little cost.
    >
    > is it a good idea to purchase C FAQs book, published in 1996 ?
    >
    > i am asking because my experience says hard-copies are better than
    > online copies but this one was published 10 years ago.

    The book has stuff in it that the online version does not have.
    I have the book and I would recommend it.
    user923005, Mar 8, 2007
  9. arnuld

    jaysome Guest

    On 8 Mar 2007 05:26:56 -0800, "arnuld" <> wrote:

    >i see C FAQs are very important part of learning C. whole C FAQs are
    >available as a book (1st edition) in my area at a little cost.
    >
    >is it a good idea to purchase C FAQs book, published in 1996 ?
    >
    >i am asking because my experience says hard-copies are better than
    >online copies but this one was published 10 years ago.

    That's one of my favorite books. My advice is to buy it. Read it
    cover-to-cover and you'll learn a lot. If there's anything you have a
    question about, I'm sure this newsgroup would be happy to provide
    help.

    Best regards
    --
    jay
    jaysome, Mar 9, 2007
  10. Re: purchasing C FAQs book is a good idea ?

    arnuld said:

    <snip>

    > yes, you are right. the % is set like 12% for 2 years and 10% for 3rd
    > year and later it depends on the publisher.

    I don't know where you get your figures, but they don't look even
    remotely accurate.

    Richard Heathfield, Mar 9, 2007
  11. arnuld

    jaysome Guest

    On 8 Mar 2007 09:58:12 -0800, "santosh" <> wrote:

    >arnuld wrote:

    >> > That is not the case. If anything, it's the reverse of the truth
    >> > because, when the book first appears on the market, any royalties are
    >> > set off against the advance.

    >[ ... ]
    >
    >> this is really a worse situation. after gaining large sums of money i
    >> will create a publishing house where Authors will get lifetime-royalty
    >> but my publishing will only publish technically good quality books. to
    >> just give an example:
    >>
    >> K&R2, Practical Common Lisp, GNU Emacs Manual, etc.
    >>
    >> did i forget one more example, YEP,
    >>
    >> C Unleashed
    >>
    >> ;-)
    >>
    >> it is really a very good one, IMVHO. such authors deserve lifetime-
    >> royalty
    >>
    >> they deserve it. this what exactly i think.

    >Very admirable intentions, but it's getting a bit OT for this group.

    Perhaps a bit, if a bit equates to %50.

    I see nothing wrong with putting a plug in for K&R2 or C Unleashed.
    The former is considered a bible by some (no religious connotations
    intended), while the latter is the work of many respected past and
    present regulars of this newsgroup. I'm sure a lot if not all of those
    regulars have read and learned from K&R2.

    K&R2 is a pretty good jump start to tell you how to program in
    portable, ANSI/ISO 9899-1990 C, while C Unleashed touches on practical
    examples of what you can accomplish in portable, ANSI/ISO 9899-1990 C.

    IMHO, recommending good C books has value, just as recommending bad C
    books, like almost anything written by Schildt, has value.

    Ironically, one of my favorite books--if not my favorite book--was
    written by Herbert:

    The Annotated ANSI C Standard, ISBN 0-07-881952-0

    Best regards
    --
    jay
    jaysome, Mar 9, 2007
  12. arnuld

    santosh Guest

    jaysome wrote:

    > >[ ... ]
    > >
    > >> this is really a worse situation. after gaining large sums of money i
    > >> will create a publishing house where Authors will get lifetime-royalty
    > >> but my publishing will only publish technically good quality books. to
    > >> just give an example:
    > >>
    > >> K&R2, Practical Common Lisp, GNU Emacs Manual, etc.
    > >>
    > >> did i forget one more example, YEP,
    > >>
    > >> C Unleashed
    > >>
    > >> ;-)
    > >>
    > >> it is really a very good one, IMVHO. such authors deserve lifetime-
    > >> royalty
    > >>
    > >> they deserve it. this what exactly i think.

    > >Very admirable intentions, but it's getting a bit OT for this group.

    > Perhaps a bit, if a bit equates to %50.
    >
    > I see nothing wrong with putting a plug in for K&R2 or C Unleashed.

    <snip>

    I was not referring to the recommendations for K&R and C Unleashed,
    but rather, arnuld's subsequent comments, which you've snipped away,
    about starting a publishing concern for technical books with the
    intention of helping authors of good technical books. It's, as I said,
    admirable, but a bit OT for this group, (more OT than recommending K&R
    and C Unleashed.)
    santosh, Mar 9, 2007
  13. arnuld

    jaysome Guest

    On 8 Mar 2007 23:45:02 -0800, "santosh" <> wrote:

    >jaysome wrote:

    >> >[ ... ]

    >> >Very admirable intentions, but it's getting a bit OT for this group.

    >> Perhaps a bit, if a bit equates to %50.
    >>
    >> I see nothing wrong with putting a plug in for K&R2 or C Unleashed.

    ><snip>
    >
    >I was not referring to the recommendations for K&R and C Unleashed,
    >but rather, arnuld's subsequent comments, which you've snipped away,
    >about starting a publishing concern for technical books with the
    >intention of helping authors of good technical books. It's, as I said,
    >admirable, but a bit OT for this group, (more OT than recommending K&R
    >and C Unleashed.)

    Fair enough.

    One of the things I liked about arnuld's post was not the he mentioned
    two good C books, but that he mentioned two other alternative books.

    I have no interest in learning EMACS--I use a single editor (VC++ 6.0)
    for all my source code development (Windows VC++, Windows CVI, Windows
    drivers, QNX 4.x and 6.x, AVR, Microchip HITEC and C30, TI DSP, and
    even Linux), and I don't need anything else. YMMV.

    On the other hand, I've always been curious about languages other than
    C--and LISP is one of those. I think it has a lot to do with
    researching what ever happened to one of my favorite posters (Kaz) to
    c.l.c and finding out that he frequents comp.lang.lisp.

    A Google search for "Practical Common Lisp" yields this as the first
    hit:

    http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

    It appears to be good reading material. I suspect that reading this
    book will help me to become a better programmer in general and a
    better programmer C programmer in specific. I'm stopping at the
    Powell's Technical Book store this weekend in the hopes of picking up
    this book.

    Thanks arnuld
    --
    jay
    jaysome, Mar 9, 2007
  14. arnuld

    Default User Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > arnuld said:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > yes, you are right. the % is set like 12% for 2 years and 10% for
    > > 3rd year and later it depends on the publisher.

    > I don't know where you get your figures, but they don't look even
    > remotely accurate.

    Not every author agrees to take his royalties in tea.

    Brian
    Default User, Mar 9, 2007