Pure CSS Dropdown menu

dorayme

It was recently brought to my attention that there is a
multi-level, "pure" CSS drop down menu system at

<http://www.grc.com/menu2/invitro.htm?>

I notice it has a doctype of

Any reason it has to be this rather than 4.01 Strict? And
generally, what do you think of it?

It is not liked by Mac IE. And iCab hates it badly. Apart from
this, for most of my browsers it works well.

I am not intending to invite comment about the general wisdom of
dropdowns. More about the assessment of folk in its technical
efficacy.

David Dorward

dorayme said:
Any reason it has to be this rather than 4.01 Strict?
No.

And generally, what do you think of it?

It suffers from the usual problems of demanding precision tracking with the
mouse (so good luck if any of your visitors have, for example, arthritis)
and dumps the entire menu structure into every page (bandwidth, fun to
scroll past if you don't have CSS).

patrick j

I am not intending to invite comment about the general wisdom of
dropdowns. More about the assessment of folk in its technical
efficacy.

You'd greatly enjoy chapter 6 of "More Eric Meyer on CSS". This chapter
is called: "CSS-Driven Drop Down Menus".

They'll work very nicely with straightforward HTML.

According to Eric Meyer you need to do something to get IE/Win to
operate them, but it's not a huge amount.

I'm leafing through the book now I don't know which versions of IE/Win
the author is writing about, but I'm sure it says somewhere.

dorayme

David Dorward said:

Good.
It suffers from the usual problems of demanding precision tracking with the
mouse (so good luck if any of your visitors have, for example, arthritis)
and dumps the entire menu structure into every page (bandwidth, fun to
scroll past if you don't have CSS).

Good point. There is a site I made and manage (for disabled
carers) that this will be important to heed.

But there have been dropdowns that are very frisky and annoying
to me (I have no particular problems of coordination) and this
particular css one seemed to me so very calm and stable on my
machine.

I am flirting with the idea of dipping my toe in, having it for
just a home page and working as a non essential but perhaps
attractive bonus to give a more detailed overview of the site.
Had not dreamed (yet!) of it being on every page.

I was surprised it does not work in iCab or works so extremely
badly. As for Mac IE, as I said previously, but let me add the
site maker obviously did not test his main page in that browser
("why should he?" some will say!) Apart from the dropdown, the
text is way off screen to the right!