Pure Python GUI lib?

Discussion in 'Python' started by oyster, Dec 22, 2007.

  1. oyster

    oyster Guest

    For the word "Pure", I mean it is not a C/C++/Z++.. extension, so that
    we can use it under pythons of different version. Is it possible?
    I don't like to update the module for different python and the module

    Currently, I am writing the interface to
    iup(http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup) via ctypes, but find 2 too
    strange things which have let me feel blue for some days, and I don't
    know whether it can be successful or not. Can anyone give me some
    lights? Thank you. :)

    You can download the files at http://pyguiviactypes.googlepages.com/mini_bug.zip
    I am using python 2.5.1 on win2k with sp4

    1. in iup.py, if I delete
    Code:
    _IupMap.argtypes= [
                      PTR_Ihandle,    #ih
                     ]

    then when I choose the menu "MDI-New", no MDI window come out. Why it
    behaves like this?

    2. for most of the time, I can only choose menu "MDI-New" 3~4 times,
    then it crashes with this msg:
    [msg]
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "\loewis\25\python\Modules\_ctypes\callbacks.c", line 206, in
    'calling callback function'
    File "mdisample_callback.py", line 372, in mdi_new IupShow(dlg)
    File "H:\my_project\iup4py\mini\iup\iup.py", line 434, in IupShow
    ih,
    WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x72292AA4
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "mdisample_callback.py", line 455, in <module>
    main()
    File "mdisample_callback.py", line 447, in main
    IupMainLoop()
    File "H:\my_project\iup4py\mini\iup\iup.py", line 247, in IupMainLoop
    return _IupMainLoop()
    WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x9B73F12E
    [/msg]

    sometimes the above happens when I delete some "???.argtypes=???" form iup.py

    3. and some time, python crashes with this msg:
    [msg]
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "mdisample_callback.py", line 455, in <module>
    main()
    File "mdisample_callback.py", line 447, in main
    IupMainLoop()
    File "H:\my_project\iup4py\mini\iup\iup.py", line 247, in IupMainLoop
    return _IupMainLoop()
    WindowsError: exception: priviledged instruction
    [/msg]

    oyster, Dec 22, 2007

  2. > For the word "Pure", I mean it is not a C/C++/Z++.. extension, so that
    > we can use it under pythons of different version. Is it possible?

    The python-xlib project provides such a module. It implements the X11
    protocol directly.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Dec 22, 2007

  3. oyster

    Guest

    On Dec 22, 7:31 am, oyster <> wrote:
    > For the word "Pure", I mean it is not a C/C++/Z++.. extension, so that
    > we can use it under pythons of different version. Is it possible?
    > I don't like to update the module for different python and the module
    >
    > Currently, I am writing the interface to
    > iup(http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup) via ctypes, but find 2 too
    > strange things which have let me feel blue for some days, and I don't
    > know whether it can be successful or not. Can anyone give me some
    > lights? Thank you. :)
    >
    > You can download the files athttp://pyguiviactypes.googlepages.com/mini_bug.zip
    > I am using python 2.5.1 on win2k with sp4

    <snip>

    While wxPython may not be pure (per se), it DOES offer some MDI
    interfaces. And it works with 2.3 - 2.5. I would think that that would
    be good enough for the purposes you mention in your post.

    Mike

    , Dec 22, 2007